Ford Ltg165

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ksbohuntr OFFLINE  

• Member No: 63319
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 06:49 PM

New to forum , would appreciate any info. Looking at trading for a 1974 Ford ltg 165, motor and all appear to be in good shape. My question is, are parts available to rebuild the trans on them,or a conversion available? I'm assuming hydro pump is same as trans on these. It works just checking for future reference. Thanks

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,653 Thanks
  • 39,023 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 06:59 PM

:wave: Welcome to the forum, neighbor! That Ford has one tough rear in it. And lots of other tractors use the same one.

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,506 Thanks
  • 7,372 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 07:31 PM

Welcome to GTT. That is a very good tractor. Check our Manuals Section for info(3 free downloads per day). Good Luck, Rick

#4 Gabriel OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 08:03 PM

#5 ksbohuntr OFFLINE  

• Member No: 63319
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 09:25 PM

Thanks for the welcoming. The tractor has some patina to it, but biggest part of sheet metal is straight, with exception of front grille and headlights are missing. Has the mower deck , snow blade and tiller.Runs good as well as pto . Any idea what its worth?

#6 larrybl ONLINE  

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,772 Thanks
  • 3,239 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 10:44 PM

I just bought a complete 1978 Lawn Tractor 48" deck, 34" snowblower, Chains, Complete set of manuals All original. Engine runs, 20 hp Onan (no Smoke), Transaxle shifts and no leaks. $200.00. Kinda depends on what the market is in your area. The one I snagged was brought to Texas from Illinois. His loss, my gain. 

Oh, and Welcome to GTT

Edited by larrybl, November 17, 2014 - 10:45 PM.

#7 Oldford OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 570 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 11:12 PM

Weak link on those is usually the steering box, check for slop, they're getting expensive.  Pics would help with price.   How was the maintenance, fluid changes, etc.  Smoke, noises, etc.  Loose shafts, bearings, etc.  Bare 165 running good around 400-up on the open market i.e. not a friend/relative.  Add another 150 or so per implement if they work.  Add or subtract a couple hundred based on location.  Sounds like you could subtract a couple hundred for missing pieces, maybe easy enough to replace but can scare off buyers.  Does it come with weights/chains, add or budget for that if you want to plow/till

While getting 3 implements makes a good package deal, could also mean more wear if it was used year-round for the last 40 years.  depends how much it was used, check condition of implements, etc.  good luck

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,652 Thanks
  • 1,681 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 11:49 PM

WELCOME :wave:

What part of KS are you in, we may not be to far off???

I had a LGT165, I got it with a loader and backhoe. It had been siting for who knows how long, I washed out the carb and it fired right up, first time using it the steering box broke, I then converted it to power steering and used it for a year. Then one day the garden tractor turned into a pile of dust so I sold the loader (had another one) and I converted the backhoe onto my Kubota L2000. The old ford had trenching company logos on it, so I have no idea how many hours the old thing had, I would say it was a very nice garden tractor and had lots of power for the loader.

I kept the rear end if you are needing one, it was a little sluggish (probably because it carried around 1500lbs of loader & backhoe it's whole life) but it still had good pulling/pushing power. I kept it in case I wanted it for a project but I haven't found a use for it yet.

Good luck and I hope you get it :thumbs:

• ksbohuntr said thank you

#9 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,359 Thanks
  • 3,127 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 04:20 AM

Those are great machines, the front grill was made of fiberglass and most likely destroyed. The hydro trans on those are not serviceable anymore , but access to a good machineshop and most internals can be repaired except the rotors and balls and rings. Stator and bushings are usually what wear and can easily be repaired by a good shop.
The sponsors on this site may have the grill parts or at least most of them so you could repair/ rebuild the front.
The pto components are very hard to find so you are doing well there. The tiller, if used a bunch, will be a monster to rebuild!! The bearings are tough to find, and it will most certainly need a new bottom main shaft made up, as the bearings go the tear the shaft all up as does the dirt. But they till AWSOME! And the driveshafts are easy peasy to make up out of pto stuff for big trucks.
Steering box is easy to repair, difficult to remove!! So if your mechanically inclined , it should be fairly easy. It is the same box that CubCadet used so parts are still avalible yoy just need to convert the numbers. good luck with the bartering;-)
  • tinbender7 said thank you

#10 aevansgatech OFFLINE  

• Member No: 62323
  • 199 Thanks
  • 250 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 12:45 PM

Congrats on the new Ford! Pics or it didn't happen :poke: