• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31 MrMarty51 OFFLINE  

MrMarty51
  • Member No: 62893
  • 141 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted November 20, 2014 - 10:13 PM

I rebuilt the front end on that old Dodge. I figured everything was good. I did not check the toe in, took it for a drive, it was one of those, Hang onto My beer and watch this sort of a moments.

That thing was worse than trying to drive a antelope in a straight line, it was mostly all over the road, sonstantly steering, right, left, right left, wooops too much left and on it went.

I got home, checked the toe in and made some adjustments, it steers very nicely now, but still, just slightly loose, I will give the rod anout 1/4 to 1/2 a twist towards the toe in, that should stiffen it up a bit.

OH YEAH, I do`nt drink beeers any more. Had too many of those moments. :rolling:

Edited by MrMarty51, November 20, 2014 - 10:20 PM.

• MH81 and propane1 have said thanks

#32 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted November 20, 2014 - 11:31 PM

What 

I rebuilt the front end on that old Dodge.

What year was the Dodge?

Edited by Cvans, November 20, 2014 - 11:31 PM.

• MrMarty51 said thank you

#33 MrMarty51 OFFLINE  

MrMarty51
  • 141 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted November 21, 2014 - 01:27 AM

What 

What year was the Dodge?

1959 W100

• Cvans said thank you

#34 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted November 21, 2014 - 11:03 AM

1959 W100

Those were nice looking trucks. 

• MrMarty51 said thank you

#35 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 09:27 AM

yeah I have a 97 Wrangler (1st yr of the "TJ" series) and have owned it since 2000. On my front end all I have had to do was the steering box and the front axle U joints. Biggest complaint I have on mine is that it has the 3.07 axle ratio... I have had it off road just a few times since owning it but I do use the 4WD alot in winter.  driving "normally" (in 2wd back n forth to work)  those gears make my 5th gear about useless until I am at cruising speed which is usually 60-65. I have wanted to swap in 3.55s or 3.73s but have not yet done so. mine is 4.0 inline 6 with 5 speed stick.

I just acquired my brother's '98 (4 cyl, 5 speed, 4.10s)  and it definitely revs much higher at the same road speed... for a daily use vehicle,  4.10s is too much gear, unless you do lift it and put bigger tires on though I am not so sure the 4 cyl has enough guts to handle much bigger tires.  I had a '93 YJ for a while, and my brother had a 92, both 4 cyl models, (the square headlite ones) and both were "gutless wonders" but awesome in bad weather.... and the 4 leaf spring suspension seemed to be alot more stable when driving with a cross wind.... though my 97 improved drastically after I replaced that steering box due to leakage. It left me wondering why I had not done that a long time before, even before it blew the seal.  I have had my '97 since 19K miles (was the closest thing to new I have ever owned)  and it always drove fine except in the wind.... like I said much improved with the replacement gearbox.

• MH81 and HDWildBill have said thanks

#36 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 09:45 AM

what shape are those tires in? Any "Choppiness"/ wear pattern? I have found that more than once to cause havoc with a 4WD and "how it drives" 

on my 79 Ramcharger I had all sorts of trouble keeping it in a straight line even on dry pavement.... this was back when I was 1st starting to really get into working on cars. I replaced a bunch of stuff on the front end (I cant remember what all, that was back in the late 80s) and no improvement until I replaced the tires and then it was night n day.

#37 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 10:48 AM

I don't think you can replace enough parts on a Ramcharger to make them steer good. The steering gear box was a poor design and left little to no feeling of the road when it was centered. I really liked the truck otherwise but hated the steering. 

#38 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 03:48 PM

I have had 1 my brother had 1, and my son currently has 1....  and once I had good shocks and tires on them they did fine.  I would not mind another IF I could find one rust free. 

Either another Ramcharger or if not that, then I'd gladly take a Scout.

the most common failure in the steering to cause slop on the Ramchargers was the steering shaft to steering box coupler.

Edited by dodge trucker, November 23, 2014 - 03:51 PM.

• Cvans said thank you

#39 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 09:15 PM

I had a Pickup, Van, and Ramcharger from that time frame and they all felt dead in the center. Not really noticeable until they were loaded or pulling a load. Had them all aligned and checked over with no great results. The shafts from the steering wheel to the box were tight. After the third one I gave up. Still think the Ramcharger was a nice vehicle. All black with burgundy interior. 

Just my luck I guess. 

Edited by Cvans, November 23, 2014 - 09:17 PM.

#40 MrMarty51 OFFLINE  

MrMarty51
  • 141 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 01:19 AM

When driving down the road, the front wheels is pushed out-wards, that is why "Toe-In" is required, even with the tires toed-in the front wheels/tires is still pushed outwards, if the vehicle feels "Loose", like it wants to sort of steer all over the road, then, usually there is not enough toe-in. Takes a bit more to "tighten it up", if there is too much toe-in, it then will feel tighter and will still wander all over the road but with a tightness to it.

• Cvans said thank you

#41 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted November 25, 2014 - 10:19 PM

I had a Pickup, Van, and Ramcharger from that time frame and they all felt dead in the center. Not really noticeable until they were loaded or pulling a load. Had them all aligned and checked over with no great results. The shafts from the steering wheel to the box were tight. After the third one I gave up. Still think the Ramcharger was a nice vehicle. All black with burgundy interior. 

Just my luck I guess. 

sounds like you raided my driveway a few years back

• Cvans said thank you