#16 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 08:19 PM

I have driven a few jeeps in the winter, never had the results you do unless my tires were shot. Stock as they came from the factory.

jst don't run Good year Wrangler RT/S  they suck even when brand new... 

toe in is good suggestion to check.  Does your Jeep have the CAD (central axle disconnect) If it does you'll see a vacuum diaphragm on the "long" side of the axle.  I have owned a YJ (93) Wrangler, (2) XJ's ( square body Cherokee) still have my TJ  (97 Wrangler) that I have had since Y2K...

have also owned my share of Dodge 4WDs  and in the winter never had them drive like you describe....

On most Jeeps mid 80s and up (cant speak for Liberty or compass or patriot, never been under any of those)  the long tie rod sleeve adjusts the actual toe, the short tie rod sleeve adjusts steering wheel position "only"

I usually loosened both U clamps and used 2, 10 or 14" pipe wrenches (one close to each end of long sleeve) in my years as a front end alignment guy...

Had my share of 4x4s and never had one push the front end like that...gassing it or not..I have had some death trap trucks too I might add.

• dodge trucker said thank you

#17 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,723 Thanks
  • 4,283 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 08:36 PM

Doesn't the Wrangler have the stabiizer bar that goes from the axle hsg up to the frame? Had one of those loose in a Dodge pick-up once and it was a real trick to drive. It was hard to diagnose too until I took the weight off it and had someone else rock the wheel while I watched.

• Lauber1 and HDWildBill have said thanks

#18 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,452 Thanks
  • 2,800 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 08:44 PM

• theres two things to look for on bad jeep steering. One is the stabilizer bar, it has a tie rod end thing up by the frame that goes bad. the other is a control cylinder, that looks like a shock lying sideways in the linkage. either one of these will cause some wild whipping and hopping of the front axil.

• Alc and HDWildBill have said thanks

#19 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,646 Thanks
  • 7,675 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 09:23 PM

In my years of plowing snow, I've seen a lot of CJs wipe out. As was mentioned, the short, wide wheel base is easy to lose control. Also, when folks put those big floatation tires on there, it causes them to start hoping.

One thing worse than a CJ, those Suzuki Samarai. Those things couldn't stay out of a ditch!

• Alc said thank you

#20 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 09:43 PM

Dad had CJ-5s CJ-7s Geo Tracker and Samurai when I was growing up.

I've driven the Samurai and the CJ-7 in the snow and never had an issue at all.  They were awesome and a blast to drive.

You have a serious problem in the front end.  Not sure what, but it's something.

#21 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,292 Thanks
  • 28,625 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 10:15 PM

Sounds like you have mismatched tires..

I agree.

• Auburn David said thank you

#22 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,307 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 11:20 PM

As already said it sounds like the front or rear carrier has been changed and is the wrong ratio to match the other. If the rear is 4.11 then the front should be 4.10 etc.

Mike

#23 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 12:46 AM

As already said it sounds like the front or rear carrier has been changed and is the wrong ratio to match the other. If the rear is 4.11 then the front should be 4.10 etc.

Mike

I strongly believe that if his front and rear gear ratios were off he would be picking up pieces of one of the diffs or transfer case up off the road.

Seen a guy do that once, and it exploded in 100 yards. 

• MrMarty51 said thank you

#24 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,641 Thanks
  • 1,057 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 01:52 AM

I strongly believe that if his front and rear gear ratios were off he would be picking up pieces of one of the diffs or transfer case up off the road.

Seen a guy do that once, and it exploded in 100 yards. 

As stonebreaker said 4.11 rear and 4.10 front,many 4x4s come stock with a slight split in the ratio,a hundredth won't hurt anything.

But if it's 4.10 and say 3.73 your right ,you will be picking up broken parts.

I also am leaning toward mismached tires and or front end toe out of wack 

• toomanytoys84 and MrMarty51 have said thanks

#25 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,109 Thanks
  • 3,200 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 08:08 AM

All four tires have to be all the same size and all the same brand , if not it the four tires can't rotate at the same speed. This will cause slippage on the ground. Noel.

#26 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,307 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 11:04 AM

Whether it's tires or ratio, have someone drive it slowly on ice or packed snow and you watch the front and rear tires while it's going straight ahead. If you see a tire slipping forward or backward then it's one of the two. If the tires are all the same,from what the OP described it still sounds like too much ratio difference.
A coworker yrs ago ordered a '72 blazer and took delivery in the summer. Didn't use 4WD until the first snow and it was all over the road. Took it to dealer and the found the front diff had the wrong ratio installed from the factory. Can't say what would happen on dry pavement, but it's not recommended anyway.
Mike
  • propane1 said thank you

#27 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,561 Thanks
  • 3,941 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 05:31 AM

Saw this bumper sticker on a Cherokee yesterday.

Just

Empty

Every

Pocket

With a lift kit and all the other accessories to go offroading, it looked like his wallet had to be empty.

Edited by shorty, November 19, 2014 - 08:55 PM.

• Alc and MrMarty51 have said thanks

#28 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 06:47 PM

Doesn't the Wrangler have the stabiizer bar that goes from the axle hsg up to the frame? Had one of those loose in a Dodge pick-up once and it was a real trick to drive. It was hard to diagnose too until I took the weight off it and had someone else rock the wheel while I watched.

he hasn't yet said whether he has a Wrangler or some other model....

#29 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 07:25 PM

First, Wrangler 2000 TJ. One with first design coil springs in front. Have replaced that Stabilizer  bar, Did bad U-joint at axle end. Other end just bolts to frame mount.  Had to put in a sway bar, that was missing. Had to also replace the steering box, too much slop. All these things improved the summer drive much.  Was happy with it. The tires are all same size and brand. Not sure what that is, didn't look. Might be bigger than stock, but not by much, no aggressive tread. Pressure, never checked. I DO have one front U-joint out on left side near hub. I replaced other side, didn't get to driver's side. Doesn't seem to make any noise or binding, so left for now. Is very sloppy tho. There is no HOPPING issue here, just pulling to sides when in loose stuff or ice. I really think I do need an alignment, 4 wheel probly, might get that done and the joint this winter. Has new brakes and lines all-around, the trans case works fine. No drive slop issues. I DO NOT know what ratios or models of axles I have, but looks like front one has had work, the cover is gooked up with silicone bulging out. I really think these are the stock axles. I could crawl under and see if tags still on if weather breaks some day. I drove yesterday and on clear roads was good as ever and fine.

Came home this AM and looked at tire size. They are 31 x 10.50 - 15's. Forgot to look at what brand, but Goodyear seems about right if I recall from other times.

Edited by glgrumpy, November 20, 2014 - 08:59 AM.

• HDWildBill, Auburn David and MrMarty51 have said thanks

#30 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted November 20, 2014 - 08:36 AM

Saw this bumper sticker on a Cherokee yesterday.

Just

Empty

Every

Pocket

I own a Liberty and that statement is 100% true :wallbanging:  :mad2: