#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 06:14 PM

You've heard about my Jeep this fall. Bad Handling, dieing out once, other things. Well, took to work last night, first time in snow. This summer I mentioned how it wanted to wander on road and seems I didn't notice that anymore, maybe just got used to it, or learned not to fight the movements?  Anyway, last nite was just like first time drive this summer. Had it in 4x4, as it was all over w/out. Was some better, but not real good. Had BIG time trouble turning into the parking lot at work. Didn't wanna turn and just slid more thru intersection, then did slide all the way in till I could go straight again. Came out this AM, little less snow on roads. Dropped back to 2 wheel drive and was doing OK, some slick spots I slowed for. About 50mph all the way home. On four-lane road with bridges you see those "Watch for Ice on Bridge" signs, never pay much attention. I hit a small one, was Icy, and Man....about lost it right there. Str wheel grabbed back when I hit other side of bridge on wet road again. Almost had to change pants!   I got up my big hill on road that was pretty clear, slid into drive. I'm dissapointed the Jeep didn't work out better for snow. Guess it will be more of the Truck to work again.

• MH81 and hamman have said thanks

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 06:18 PM

Have you checked the front differential at all? Do the Jeep's have locking hubs on the front? I know it is normal to have to hit the gas when turning in 4wd or it will slide straight. Are the tires stock sizes?

#3 MrMarty51 OFFLINE  

MrMarty51
  • Member No: 62893
  • 141 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 06:26 PM

WOW!!!!!! That sounds disasterfull.

What year/model of Jeep ? ? ?

Check those tierod ends, check the toe in too. Toe in can be adjusted by having a willing partner and a tape measure.

Use a block of wood and something with a point on it, jack-up the front of the jeep, set the block of wood so it can be used for a brace when the pointed scribe is set against the tire. Spin the tire, scribe a line all the way around both fronts, drop the jeep back onto the floor/ground..

Use Your partner, have Him/Her hold one end of the taping measure on the scribed mark, just below the height of the hub, fron or back, go to the oposite end and remeasure. it should have about a 1/16th of an inch to 1/8th of an inch toe in, front narrower than the back.

See if that helps.

• Bmerf said thank you

#4 MrMarty51 OFFLINE  

MrMarty51
  • 141 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 06:30 PM

Also, if the Jeep has a posi~Track rear end in it, they will tend to drive a vehicle straight forwards, especially on ice or slick roads.

I had a 1981 Jeep Wagoneer, it was terrible for that.

If one rear tire felt any slip whatever, the other tire would lock in and straight forwards it would go. Even in four weeel drive sometimes.

It would go through about anything though.

#5 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 06:33 PM

Locker in front? I've been told they don't like to turn in 4 wheel drive. I don't know as I have never had one. Until now. Put one in the front of the plow truck, 1995 F150. Waiting to try it out. 4-8+" expected.

#6 MrMarty51 OFFLINE  

MrMarty51
  • 141 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 06:36 PM

My favorite go to town in the snow, ice and mud rigumuptruck. The front differential gearing is 10% higher than the rear. Pulls it around corners very nicely, just do not try and drive on solid ground/asphalt, that will really tear things up.

1959 Dodge, W100, 1/2 ton Power Wagon. 6,000 pound winch behind the cab to operate the jin~poles

DSCN1870.JPG

Edited by MrMarty51, November 17, 2014 - 06:37 PM.

• Gtractor, Bmerf and superaben have said thanks

#7 MrMarty51 OFFLINE  

MrMarty51
  • 141 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 06:41 PM

Use a piece of cord, wrap it around the tires and mark. Do this to each tire, when You find the tires with the larger circumference, put those on the fronts.

• Gtractor and LilysDad have said thanks

#8 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,630 Thanks
  • 3,922 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 06:50 PM

I'M IN LOVE with that Dodge!!!!   :worshippy1:  :smiley-score010:  

• superaben and MrMarty51 have said thanks

#9 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 07:18 PM

Sounds like you have mismatched tires..

• MH81 and MrMarty51 have said thanks

#10 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 07:24 PM

I'M IN LOVE with that Dodge!!!!   :worshippy1:  :smiley-score010:  

You and me both.

...even though it IS a Dodge!!  :D

Ben W.

• MrMarty51 said thank you

#11 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,630 Thanks
  • 3,922 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 07:35 PM

Air down the tires some.  You sure don't want them blown up like a basketball.  Especially the rear tires - theres not enough weight back there for full recommended pressure. 

Edited by Gtractor, November 17, 2014 - 07:39 PM.

#12 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 07:35 PM

Are you sure that jeep has the original differentials in it? Something is really messed up.

#13 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 07:45 PM

Have you checked the front differential at all? Do the Jeep's have locking hubs on the front? I know it is normal to have to hit the gas when turning in 4wd or it will slide straight. Are the tires stock sizes?

Right on George!  In a 4WD letting off the gas is exactly like hitting the brakes!!  Throw it in neutral and wait for the wheels to grab.  Hopefully you can save it..  Sounds like you may have tire issues Grumpster..  If they are wide (60's) they will 'float' easier and not grab as well.  Some Jeep owners get an extra set of rims and ride 75's in the winter.  Also the shorter wheel base works against you as well during skids..

I recall when I was about 16 and pulled my 18 YO cousin's jeep out of a steep ditch with our big JD tractor..  He was really in there..  It was on a hill just around a bend and he let off the gas!  He was OK and nothing hurt..  Lucky!! :worshippy1:

Edited by WNYTractorTinkerer, November 17, 2014 - 07:46 PM.

#14 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 08:09 PM

My old 83 F150..when in mud(we dont get much snow)the front wheels do most of the work when its in 4X4...high or low.

#15 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 08:13 PM

I have driven a few jeeps in the winter, never had the results you do unless my tires were shot. Stock as they came from the factory.

jst don't run Good year Wrangler RT/S  they suck even when brand new... 

toe in is good suggestion to check.  Does your Jeep have the CAD (central axle disconnect) If it does you'll see a vacuum diaphragm on the "long" side of the axle.  I have owned a YJ (93) Wrangler, (2) XJ's ( square body Cherokee) still have my TJ  (97 Wrangler) that I have had since Y2K...

have also owned my share of Dodge 4WDs  and in the winter never had them drive like you describe....

On most Jeeps mid 80s and up (cant speak for Liberty or compass or patriot, never been under any of those)  the long tie rod sleeve adjusts the actual toe, the short tie rod sleeve adjusts steering wheel position "only"

I usually loosened both U clamps and used 2, 10 or 14" pipe wrenches (one close to each end of long sleeve) in my years as a front end alignment guy...