5 replies to this topic

#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,457 Thanks
  • 6,346 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 04:07 PM

Newer Pk with wide rotary brush. We got a little snow, might be 2" at most. I got out late in day to mess with it, and lots gone of drive by then. I always plow the yard between my garage and house for dog to do duty all winter. Was windy too. Instructions say to blow in direction of wind, and that is good idea. What little I did crosswind was kinda messy. It was little diff to use, not like  a blade at all. I used it in the grass, had to lift a hair so not to dig too deep down. Made a few paths and did OK. Not sure how it is gonna be in deeper snow. Really think it needs a bigger area, like a parking lot to do best. Sure takes a wide cut, more than blades I have. Don't take many trips to clear big area. A little concerned on what it is throwing it on, kinda of like a blower I suppose, but don't have a chute to control that. I can trun it some each way to blow at angle, tried that some nearer the house. Have to plan where to start first path also then.  I put new throttle cable on, and think I needed to set that up faster, bet checked again and it is pulling open far as the controls on engine seem to want it to go. Maybe just don't reve that fast on these newer engines? Sure is complicated linkage on these newer V-twins, not easy to modify. Probly some EPA thing to make them untouchable?  Anyway, went fair, will try in deeper stuff and let you know how it goes. Still think blade is gonna be my favorite choice. I DO have brand new blade for tractor and it s quick-connect to change, so might try that this year also. I have two other tractors with blades and used the little L130  Deere in front of house. Didn't have blade on last year and missed it, so is on this year, seeing I sold some of my blade tractors from last year.  That little Deere has always been pretty good in snow, till you bury it in stuff you shouldn't have been trying to move with it. The foot hydro is nice, the manual blade, not so nice!

• Alc, Genem and MNGB have said thanks

#2 Username OFFLINE  

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,064 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 04:34 PM

Don't listen to the directions.it's always best for your direction of travel to be into the wind.

• Member No: 62466
  • 893 Thanks
  • 782 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 11:43 PM

Hi glgrumpy, for the report on the brush, maybe after you have used it some more it operation/effectiveness  will be better yes the newer twin cyl engine seem to have an over complicated linkage system, as for rpm's you almost need a tach to check the actual R's I have a GT5000 with a 25 hp twin V Kohler and it doesn't sound like its revving up at all (I think they have pretty good mufflers on them) but checking the RPM's with a digital tach showed it was revving to 3600.

• Alc said thank you

#4 EconChuck OFFLINE  

• Member No: 18979
  • 245 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 09:29 AM

Grumpy, Congrats on getting the tractor wiring figured out and getting it to run again. Also on getting the brush mounted and trying it out.
My Snapper hasn't suffered the throttle cable/control issues as yours and so far I'm very happy with it.

#5 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,448 Thanks
  • 7,614 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 11:20 AM

If you are brushing the area the dogs poop in I would think having the wind to you back would be beneficial.

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,457 Thanks
  • 6,346 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 09:56 PM

Chuck, I put diff throttle lever on it from older PK. Looked the same, cept the handle. Didn't seem much diff in effort, but seems to hold now. I had to use the old cable and switch it out, as the new one was too short.  Just not sure on the wide open throttle yet being enough.  Lever would move farther, but is stopped and linkage seems open all the way, not sure what to think.