17 replies to this topic

#16 Alc OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,293 Thanks
  • 6,497 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 06:37 AM

Oldford ,  your stove might have been the same as mine , 2 front doors , 1 top . I wonder if the intake flapper closes  off for too long a period then opens to cause the " Puffs " ?   There is some kind of  " secondary air intake " that isn't air tight but I never have it open , a port about 1/2"  with a sliding cover over it . Maybe I'll try keeping that open next time .  

#17 Oldford OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 570 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 07:37 AM

This morning i asked the wife if she remembered the old VC and the smoke/whoomping, she said "it had a lot of cracks."  Meaning all those gaskets i guess, i was always replacing them.  Seems like no matter what i did it would always do that.  As you say there's some built-in places where air can be regulated (or just leak), a lot of places for air pressure to change.  Plus it was down cellar had a tall chimney, who knows

Do you remember the old wood stoves with bi-fold doors basically a modified fireplace those put a lot of smoke into the house with all the cracks, maybe it's the same principle...?

Is your hookup straight up the chimney or does it make a 90 degree bend?  Ours made a 90 into the chimney, maybe that had some effect, don't really know.  I was always cleaning that chimney, helped some but not always

Now we have a newer stove completely air tight has one damper and straight shot up chimney liner.  Much easier to regulate and no smoke/whoomp.  Not sure if it's the stove, pipe, or a combination. 

I think VC had an instruction sheet online if you don't have the paperwork may help with the adjustments, i never figured it out, good luck

Edited by Oldford, November 18, 2014 - 07:38 AM.

• Alc said thank you

#18 gtcsreg OFFLINE  

• Member No: 25875
  • 1,634 Thanks
  • 1,620 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 08:08 AM

Haven't burned for years but did for a long time. All the advice above is good. I'd say concentrate of two main things. Always be vigilant about keeping the flue clean and make sure your fire is in the proper range. What I mean is too cold a fire will get you those backpuffs, I called them backdrafts. Too hot a fire, such as with too much hedge or other hot burning wood can ignite the creosote buildup or ignite stuff that you think is far enough away from your stove. Careful and stay safe. Reg
  • Alc said thank you