• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • Member No: 49650
  • 443 Thanks
  • 252 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 10:31 PM

HI.  Not certain this is the correct forum for this and I looked to see if I could find a related forum with no luck.  

I have a Husqvarna GT with a 18 hp Kohler Magnum.  It wasn't charging after some testing, I took the fly wheel off and discoved.  Along with a bunch of dirt and crud.  4 of the 6 magnets are loose.  One is broken on half.  

What kind of glue, cement or epoxy would I use to glue them back in place?  The one that is broken in half is a fairly clean break and sits in place pretty nice?  Could I get away with it or would I need to replace that magnet?

I used emery cloth to shine up the magnets and cleaned the stator shined it up too.  

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG-20141116-00581.jpg
  • IMG-20141116-00579.jpg
  • IMG-20141116-00578.jpg
  • IMG-20141116-00580.jpg
  • IMG-20141116-00582.jpg

• Bud, boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#2 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 11:11 PM

Making sure the orientation is correct is your most important thing. I would clean the surfaces very good then clean the dust off with alcohol. Use JB weld then clamp over night. Let us know how it works out.

• Bud and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#3 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,315 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 11:30 PM

I have used 2 part epoxy. Make sure you put them on right side up (N/S orientation) 

Not sure about the busted one, you might be able to stick it back on just for the weight. You will lose 1/8 of your charging capacity(N/S/N/S on the same magnet). Its kinda late in the year, but you might check the mower shops for a flywheel off of a grenaded engine. They get alot of them in the late summer from lack of good oil/ no oil, grass packed in the head cover. And there is always Ebay scrappers.

Edited by tater195, November 16, 2014 - 11:32 PM.

• Bud, Sawdust and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#4 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 443 Thanks
  • 252 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 12:36 AM

They all have a little yellow mark.  The two that are still in place the mark is showing and the one that came off with the flywheel had the yellow showing.  I think if I keep the mark showing on all of them that should keep the orientation correct.  

I had thought about JB weld.  Think I'll give it a go tomorrow night.  I need to clean things up better.  Wire wheel on drill or maybe dremel and  brake clean.  

• Bud, MH81, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 06:33 AM

I have done it using JBWeld. The manufacturer usually says to replace the flywheel and never glue the magnets back on. That's their point of view. In my case it was the laminated metal bit on top of the magnets that had come off. I'm hoping they stay put. When they came loose they did some damage to the laminations in the coil. I got all that straightened out and it all rotates with no contact. I have yet to finish rebuilding the engine in order to test it. 

• Bud said thank you

#6 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 08:17 AM

I have always found it odd that one needs to "glue" a magnet to a metal flywheel.  

• boyscout862 said thank you

#7 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 08:37 AM

Been there, done that with my Tecumseh. You can see when I pulled flywheel, the magnets stayed on stator. I kept them all in line, cleaned flywheel, the JB weld'd them back on, that was in 2011 and she is still fine. They originally looked to have 2 sided tape holding them in place so I am pretty sure the JB Weld will be an upgrade. I could see the outline of the tape even after I cleaned them up so it was pretty easy to put them back in proper place. You could always do one at a time or a couple opposite from each other if you are worried about doing all at one time. As stated, just keep them oriented properly.
I would think if you mate the broken one back up together, you will be fine with that one

Yea as New Canadian said, they are magnets...you just need to hold them in place basically.

ssicoil.jpg

100_0893.jpg

100_0892.jpg

Edited by TAHOE, November 17, 2014 - 08:38 AM.

• Bud, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 7 others have said thanks

#8 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 443 Thanks
  • 252 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 11:10 PM

Out JB welding tonight.  Pieced the broken one together see how that works.  Looks good.  The Stator seems ok no obvious damage.  Only time will tell once I get it back together.  

• Alc and Sawdust have said thanks

#9 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 443 Thanks
  • 252 posts

Posted November 20, 2014 - 10:32 PM

The JB welded seems like it work perfectly on the magnets.  I put thing together enough to start the engine to test if its will charge.  Unfortunately the answer is no.  No voltage at all coming out of the stator.  I tested the continuity  and there is no resistance across the two white wires from the stator.  

Anyone know how to test a stator?  

Is there supposed to be no resistance?

#10 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,315 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted November 20, 2014 - 10:57 PM

0 ohms or open? the stator should have low resistance, but not 0. check both wires to ground

there is a diode in the circuit somewhere.. swap the red black when checking resistance, you may be trying to read through a good diode.

another check would be test for AC on the white wires when running. If you are upstream of the diode, it wont read anything on DC setting

Edited by tater195, November 20, 2014 - 11:00 PM.

• Alberta Bolens and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted November 21, 2014 - 05:32 AM

The JB welded seems like it work perfectly on the magnets.  I put thing together enough to start the engine to test if its will charge.  Unfortunately the answer is no.  No voltage at all coming out of the stator.  I tested the continuity  and there is no resistance across the two white wires from the stator.  

Anyone know how to test a stator?  

Is there supposed to be no resistance?

Section 8 of this manual, page 8.9.

• Alberta Bolens said thank you