• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 995 Thanks
  • 824 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 09:50 PM

Hi all, I know over the years there were diferent models of the flywhel housing as far as the side top holes / slots, but were there differences in the mounting holes from one engine to another? Like were the B&S one different from the Kohler ones?

• nbent said thank you

#2 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 05:23 AM

To my knowledge (and that's not saying much) the hole pattern on that part is one of the only things that have actually been consistent over the years.  I've not heard of one not matching up in the time I've been exposed to these tractors.

• Alc said thank you

#3 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 07:54 AM

The small frame Jim Dandy with the Briggs 19 engine has a smaller bolt pattern.

• David Brown said thank you

#4 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 995 Thanks
  • 824 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 10:40 AM

Ok what I'm wondering if  say a 1614 that is missing the Kohler could be repowered with a 16 hp B&S 32000 series. I have a rebuildable cast iron B&S and know of a 1614 with no engine but the rest is all there with the exception of one rear wheel or would it need to be a special series B&S to work? 

#5 EconChuck OFFLINE  

EconChuck
  • Member No: 18979
  • 251 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 11:28 AM

imo, if the Briggs engine that you are talking about is from the same year era as the Kohler then chances are that the engines should interchange "within reason". These engines and manufacturers had to maintain similar dimensions in order for the manufacturers of power equipment to offer what the customer wanted or to meet price points.
So if it has the 4 threaded bosses, has 7" pilot that the bellhousing centers on. The next concern would be crankshaft dia-1" or 1 1/8", also crank extension length which will affect clutch location and operation.
Good luck.
Chuck

#6 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 995 Thanks
  • 824 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 12:41 PM

Thanks much Chuck, I'll check it out some right now I'm not in a rush for a project tractor, I think the guy wants too much for it b ut he may need so extra cash in the future and come down. He thinks it worth $500.00 but I don;t.

HPIM0385.JPG HPIM0387.JPG

• Gtractor said thank you

#7 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 01:00 PM

The small frame Jim Dandy with the Briggs 19 engine has a smaller bolt pattern.

Right you are.  I was thinking strictly Power King models and wasn't sure if the Jim Dandy was smaller or not.  Hey, it's been a while for me.  I should probably stay off this board for fear of really messing someone up.

• Username said thank you

#8 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 01:16 PM

Right you are.  I was thinking strictly Power King models and wasn't sure if the Jim Dandy was smaller or not.  Hey, it's been a while for me.  I should probably stay off this board for fear of really messing someone up.

That was a tough one that I don't think many people know about.I found out the hard way.I think everyone has been wrong or corrected so please continue to share your knowledge.

• David Brown said thank you

#9 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 01:24 PM

That was a tough one that I don't think many people know about.I found out the hard way.I think everyone has been wrong or corrected so please continue to share your knowledge.

But the well is drying up man!

• Username said thank you

#10 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,611 Thanks
  • 3,911 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 02:47 PM

With the dual tranny setup its not that far out of line price-wise.  How did he "lose" a wheel/tire combo?

#11 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 995 Thanks
  • 824 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 02:54 PM

With the dual tranny setup its not that far out of line price-wise.  How did he "lose" a wheel/tire combo?

Hi Gtractor, that's a good question, but I think what happened is someone borrowed it and never returned it, He told me that the engine (Kohler K321) needed overhaul he pulled took it to a small engine shop they OH'd it and it ran less than an hour and the rod seized and broke, he said they installed a bearing backward. I've never been into a Kohler but from the Briggs and other engines I've worked on I can't understand that, my thoughts is the rod may have been installed backward and didn't get any oil.

• Gtractor said thank you

#12 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,611 Thanks
  • 3,911 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 03:34 PM

..... but I think what happened is someone borrowed it and never returned it, .......

That would be "justifiable homicide"

#13 EconChuck OFFLINE  

EconChuck
  • Member No: 18979
  • 251 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 04:42 PM

Hi,

I don't think $500 is too far out of line. The rod in Kohler K's appear to be a common failure point, either due to lack of lube, poor installation of new parts, A good 14 hp K321 is hard to beat in a Power King.

Chuck