#46 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,034 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted November 21, 2014 - 08:57 PM

I am definitely in snow country (we've already had a foot or two with plenty of wind) and have 3-2wd GMC's. The '72-3/4 ton has taken me through most of the 35 winters I have owned it with a few months with the 1955 GMC and a 1991 Sonoma scattered into the mix the last 6 to 8 years. The Sonoma gets worked when it is near zero or below, but the other two are more fun to drive so they get used whenever possible.

These trucks ain't my toys--they are all I have to drive. My toy is a 1970 K5 4x4, but even when it is back on the road it will probably not see much of the heavily salted roads we have around here.

DAC

• Cvans said thank you

#47 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted November 22, 2014 - 08:36 AM

Ah, if you can't there with 2 wheel drive, you likely don't need to be there. I've had trucks since I was 16, and only 1 has been a 4x4. We get snow here in November and it stays until April.  The reality is that I stay on the roads in the winter, and grew up driving rear wheel drive cars and 2 wheel drive trucks in these conditions.  I hate carrying weight in the back of the truck, because I hate taking it out every time I need the space.  Mostly I use my "new" (2004 Chevy) truck for pulling a trailer in the summer though. In the winter it's just something to drive to work or haul 2x4s and tools in on the weekend.

So now that I've said all that, I wouldn't buy another 2 wheel drive truck.  Something, I have no idea what, has changed in the design and the '04 is horrible in the snow. The 2000-ish half ton at work is the same thing.  Tires spin even with weight in the back, and prone to not stopping too well.  I've driven a couple of the 4x4's of the same vintage, one with pretty worn tires, and they are way better in the snow, even in the 2 wheel setting, so I'm guessing it has something to do with weight distribution and the extra weight of the front diff.  I have no idea how that could give the rear tires more traction though.

#48 AfterShock95 OFFLINE  

AfterShock95
  • Member No: 63122
  • 420 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted November 22, 2014 - 10:00 AM

I own a two wheel drive 1/2 ton and I have never had any problem getting around . I use my head and I drive safe . I'm a truck driver and I always see the 4wd SUV 1 ton 3/4 ton 4wd asphault cowboys go blowing by my at 75 mph when you have semi loaded down with 80,000 lbs doing 45 or 50 and you get a mile up the road and they are in a ditch or they have wrecked and got the interstate shut down . It don't really matter if it's 2wd or 4wd they both have there place I'm not taking my truck off road in the mud but I'll take my trail rig off road . I think some people get a 4wd and think they are unstoppable in snow an ice . But that only my 2 cents
  • Gtractor and Reverend Blair have said thanks

#49 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted November 22, 2014 - 10:11 AM

I see no mention of snow tires in this thread. Snow tires with the Mountain/snowflake designation makes a huge difference in traction and stopping distances when used on cars or trucks. We have them on all 4 corners on all our vehicles,,,i put them on Oct 31st every year.  I had 2 wd ford 30 years ago with snow tires and the factory mounted 10,000 pound topper on it and it was pretty much unstoppable in the snow.

#50 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted November 22, 2014 - 10:13 AM

It's funny that everybody who drives truck notices the same thing about those "asphalt cowboys," isn't it.  We call them ditch monkeys at work. 

#51 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted November 22, 2014 - 10:44 AM

I see no mention of snow tires in this thread.

My Son just put winter tires on the back of his full sized rwd van and said it made all the difference in the world. 

#52 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,569 Thanks
  • 3,951 posts

Posted November 22, 2014 - 10:55 AM

I learned to drive in my dad's old 2wd pickup. It had street tires and the old three on the tree shifter. At the time I was kind of embarressed to be seen in that old truck. But now looking back, it sure taught me a lot about driving in adverse conditions. Sure it couldn't go everywhere a 4wd could. But with careful driving, we always got there and back. Including the night the shifter fell off the column. That night every hill had to be planned and every traffic light figured in. 

• pigsitter and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#53 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted November 22, 2014 - 04:41 PM

Including the night the shifter fell off the column.

Boy that made me laugh. The wife's folks had an old 1956 International 1/2 ton 2wd pickup. It was a 6 cylinder with 3 in the tree. Every so often it would get locked in gear and you would have to get out and get under the hood to wiggle the linkage and get it into neutral. After that it was back in the cab and away you went. 

Thanks for the memory!  :D

• Gtractor, Alc, MFDAC and 3 others have said thanks

#54 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted November 22, 2014 - 06:35 PM

Boy that made me laugh. The wife's folks had an old 1956 International 1/2 ton 2wd pickup. It was a 6 cylinder with 3 in the tree. Every so often it would get locked in gear and you would have to get out and get under the hood to wiggle the linkage and get it into neutral. After that it was back in the cab and away you went.
Thanks for the memory! :D

Dad had a duster when he was a teenager. Said it would jam between first and second if you didn't shift it right. When it jammed you had to coast off the side of the road and jiggle the linkage around.
  • Cvans said thank you

#55 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,629 Thanks
  • 3,920 posts

Posted November 22, 2014 - 07:34 PM

We had a '72 Dodge that dad bought in '75 from the MO Dept of Constipation. [conservation]

It had exactly two options.  318 V8 and 4X4.  No power steering and no radio - not even an AM!

Its three on the tree would lock in second if you didn't have that 'finesse" while shifting. 

Of course it was that lovely shade of "light baby poop green".  :(

Edited by Gtractor, November 22, 2014 - 07:35 PM.

• Cvans said thank you

#56 CRFarnsworth ONLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,648 Thanks
  • 1,738 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 07:45 PM

Yep.      That's a PIA I had forgotten about.   Thanks for the reminder.  Rick

#57 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,034 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 08:17 PM

Ha! I bought my first pickup, a 1955 International 100 2wd in 1973. It was a very solid old binder, 6 cyl. and 3 on the tree. I loved the all steel floor in the box and the way the hood could open left, right or be taken clear off! I put a pretty heavy "Old Style" beer tap handle on the shifter lever for a knob. To shift from 2nd to 3rd all I had to do was press the clutch, the weight of the knob did the shift! Wish I had a pic of that fun old truck!

DAC

• Alc and Cvans have said thanks

#58 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,569 Thanks
  • 3,951 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 08:28 PM

Yup, all that linkage could jam easy. I had forgotten about how from 1st to 2nd it had to be a gentle shift or it would stop. When it happened, I would have to drop back to 1st and start over.

• Cvans said thank you