Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 06:56 PM

Up until a few years ago, everything I had was 2 wheel drive. All we ever had. A little weight and slowing down goes along way. Truck will go through deeper snow than a car, but tires and weight make all the difference.

Three years ago, driving my Chevy 1500 2x to work. I was on the highway and it was slick, slowed down to 50 mph and thought that I might be pushing it. A 4x4 passes me just as we reach an overpass, He does 3, 360's directly in front of me. As I tried to slow, off into the ditch he goes. I made it to work, he had to change his pants and be towed. Never took the highway again during the winter, still don't if avoidable.

#32 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 07:00 PM

I have a 2 wheel drive Suburban and it goes OK in the snow. I do prefer my old 4X4 for snowy driving though. The 2X is a little difficult on hills but will get the job done. I have not added any wight to it in the 3 years of ownership. I may throw 300 lbs. in the back this year for fun.

Geno

#33 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 07:31 PM

Well I guess ill throw my two cents in. Ive been driving since I was 16. Now im 22. I have never owned a 4x4 truck. All ive ever drivin is 2 wd trucks. Mostly chevys. The very few times ive ever got stuck is when I shouldn't have been out on the road. Dad and I went up the farm drive way that's up hill (not to bad of hills). I have a 87 chevy c20 with a limited slip rear axle and it drug the bottom of the truck threw the snow and got were I was going. I think a lot of it has to do with tires, weight, vehicle and the driver.  

Ditto for me (other than being 22).  

For me, ABS is far more important than 4x4 or weight in the box.  If I can't get moving with limited slip diff on the 2 rear wheels, I shouldn't be out on the roads. But, if I can't get stopped I have to call a tow truck and maybe an ambulance.  As such, 2x4 is safer & cheaper than 4x4 in the long run.

#34 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,307 Thanks
  • 4,660 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 07:36 PM

I've always needed 4WD for plowing and bailing folks out of the ditch out in the winter..  Never owned a 2WD truck..  **No deal if it ain't 4 wheel!**  

**I also never drink Decaffeinated coffee!  

10649525_625198724269185_1124256973450194932_n.jpg

The truck wannabe's driving a 4WD to the store and work to 'look cool' are really spending way too much $$$ and are setting themselves up for financial pain when the thing needs to be fixed.  (Also the crappy gas milage!)  I drove 2WD cars through lots of snow for years and hardly ever got stuck unless I was driving like a dummy.  We went to Tennessee last winter and this guy in a Ford 4x4 went blowing by on the interstate @ about 80 MPH on icy roads..  There we were in a 2WD van plugging along @ ~45 MPH..  Wouldn't you know, we caught up with that D/A stuck in the ditch about ten miles later..  We blew the horn and waved!   :wave:  :bounce:

Yes, we all want to get where we want to go but when you buy a 4WD truck you are not immune to the laws of gravity & physics and if you drive stupidly you WILL get stuck..  **MAJORLY since you are in a 4WD vehicle and will naturally try to throw it in low lock and dig yourself down until you are resting on the frame..   :wallbanging:   Hope you have a H/D winch to pull yourself out!   :dancingbanana:

Nothing beats experience to learn how to drive in snowy and icy conditions..  Putting the pedal to the floor is BAAAADDD!  Once the tires spin you are done unless it in a semi-traction kind of manner.  Knowing the difference is the key..  My dad took me to snowy big empty parking  lots and I'd get the hang of how to maneuver there..  The best teacher is experience.  Better to learn it in a non-lethal situation and not the interstate doing 70 MPH..  

So those here that have learned the lesson..  Sorry for speaking my mind a bit but them's the facts as I see them..  We have a big storm blowing in tonight in WNY and I can't wait to see how many dummies are in the ditch tomorrow morning.  (Heck- one morning we saw a Semi tractor trailer who spun out and actually did a 180*  on the interstate..  Don't see that every day!   :watch_over_fence:   Be safe and remember getting there is the most important thing.  Work or wherever you are going will be there so take your time!    :ok:

• Gtractor, Cvans and superaben have said thanks

#35 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 07:41 PM

I have had both 2WD and 4WD over the years, a 2WD with a little weight in back and good tires will beat a 4WD with bad tires

I have never owned and hope to never own a FWD anything.... I have made my living working on FWD for over 20 years and still hate them.... who ever decided the engine should go crossways in there oughtta  be hung at the stake

#36 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 07:48 PM

Currently driving a silver'ish/tan'ish 2001 Chevy S-10 6 foot bed, two wheel drive, 5 speed manual shift.

Winter is going to be fun :-(

#37 WHdbJD ONLINE  

WHdbJD

• Member No: 8367
  • 580 Thanks
  • 451 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 08:13 PM

I got me a 4 wheel drive pick-em-up.  Now I ken go as fast as I wanna on snow and ice.

Looky there at them sissys pokin' along 35 miles an hour. I gots me four wheel drive, I'll

jest pass them sissys.   They kant keep up wit me , 'cause I gots  four wheel drive...

Wait!, this dang old trucks turning sideways! Hell , it caint do that , I got four wheel drive!

Shoot, look out....aaariiiiigh!  

Looky there at them sissys  I jest passed.  Still going 35. Well jest wait till the wrecker man

gets me out of the ditch here,  I'll pass 'em again!.

Dang old truck, anyway.

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor, OldBuzzard and 4 others have said thanks

#38 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,619 Thanks
  • 7,662 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 09:44 PM

really,,some guys think they need a 4x4 to get around in the snow,,,suck it up buttercup and put the big boy panties on.  Choice of tires is important.  Ice racing on the harbour is very popular here and many guys are only using blizzaks ,,no studs 

Can I see a picture of that real pick up with out the snow on it?

I got me a 4 wheel drive pick-em-up.  Now I ken go as fast as I wanna on snow and ice.

Looky there at them sissys pokin' along 35 miles an hour. I gots me four wheel drive, I'll

jest pass them sissys.   They kant keep up wit me , 'cause I gots  four wheel drive...

Did anyone ever see a 4x4 that drove waaaay back on a snow covered road with a thick crust on it. Did you see them when all four tires broke through the crust? :D

There is one thing worse than a 2x4 truck on snow. A'68 Camaro on Wisconsin 90/94 in a blinding snow storm.

Couldn't go faster than 25 without spinning out.

Edited by LilysDad, November 17, 2014 - 09:46 PM.

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#39 esbbent OFFLINE  

esbbent

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1183
  • 240 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 10:42 PM

I have one of both a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4 (daily driver) and a 1995 Dodge 3500 v10 4x2. The Dodge I wont drive in the snow and ice due mainly due to the tires that I have on the back. Growing up in Northern UT 1972 to 1984 all we had was 2 wheel drive, decent tires and the bed full of weight we never had an issue getting any where. I was 30 before I bought my first 4x4 78 Jeep Wagoner and that was due to needing a bigger vehicle and was cheap.

• OldBuzzard and Alc have said thanks

#40 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 08:52 AM

Makes a different if you are driving in areas with hills.4wd will get you around a sharp bend a lot easier pulling out or starting up a steep hill.You also have less of a chance of the rear kicking sideways going around a turn.I have my truck to haul things and having a bed full of weight makes it difficult to haul things.

#41 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 08:55 AM

I've driven both, my 92 S10 wouldn't go anywhere, but then it had performance type tires and a short bed, light as a feather. My 86 3/4 Chevy 2x4 would go about anywhere with the snow/mud tires and a little weight in the back.  My 76 Chevy step side would even do good with some weight in it with the AT tires all around. I drove it for 3 yrs back and forth to college without a problem.

Now, we have 3- 4x4's in the family and they get us where they are going ,but then we do take a coupel of them out in the field so 4x4 is needed sometimes.

Then there are sometimes I get caught at work in the RWD  Firebird during a now or ice. While I may spin some, it's all about about knowing how to drive in it....I make it fun :D

I will say, while they get great reviews and everyone seems to love them, my wife and I both hated out 98 Subaru in the snow, we will take the handling of our open diffy 4x4's over that thing.

#42 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,733 Thanks
  • 1,727 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 09:25 AM

We live out in the country, the roads out here get very muddy and snowy/icy. We have never owned a four wheel drive and we get a long just fine. We did have a '82 half ton chevy diesel, it was HORRIBLE in snow/ice, you could be stopped at a light and you would just start sliding sideways. :wallbanging:

Now we have a '81 chevy 1 ton dually with extended frame, it does really well and it doesn't slide around at all.

Also the VW bug does really good on ice, it has all of that back end weight :thumbs:.

I will never get a 4 wheel drive, they are expensive and harder to work on.

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#43 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 11:14 AM

I drove a 2wd for years. Never had a problem getting where I needed to be. No before you all start yelling that I am down south and I have no business in a snow discussion - I have driven in both the north and the south in snow and ice. There is a difference. In the north where it gets colder the ice freezes more completely and has a wee bit of traction (very small I know but there is a difference) compared to the ice down south with water on top of it. If you don't believe me just come down here and fall on the ice. You will get wet. Tires, a brain, and driver skill make all the difference.

In 93 we had a blizzard down here. I drove my 72 Bonneville from Anderson SC to Boiling Springs SC passing 4wds in the ditch all the way. The 2 hour trip took me 8 hours, but I made it. The next morning when I checked out of the hotel I stopped at I was told I would never get out of the parking lot. I told them I had to because I didn't have any more money for a room. The hotel sat in a hole and the driveway was a fairly steep hill. There were 8 cars in various states of abandonment at the bottom and an upside down DOT plow truck at the top. I had an audience for my try at it. My first attempt was a failure. I backed all the way across the parking lot as far as I could go. Then I got up as much speed as I could and I made it up the hill - backwards and sideways but I made it. I turned the wheel and spun it around in the right direction and left to cheers of all the stranded people at the hotel.

Last year I drove Christine (effectively a 1 wheel drive) about 40 miles on the ice to get a stranded neighbor. The only weight in the bed was the snow that had fallen. It took me 2 hours to get home but we got back in one piece.

I switched over to a 4wd because no amount of skill, brains, or tire will allow you to pull a loaded 30 foot trailer through ankle deep mud, across a field down into a creek, upstream,across another muddy field,and onto solid ground.

newsig.jpg~original.jpg

• superaben said thank you

#44 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,848 Thanks
  • 3,191 posts

Posted November 20, 2014 - 01:25 PM

I have one of each, 4by4 diesel 3/4 T. and 2by4 gas 1/2 T. The gas always has five 24by30" patio blocks in the back. Yes, I prefer the old 3/4 T. diesel any time of year.

#45 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,397 Thanks
  • 1,228 posts

Posted November 20, 2014 - 08:47 PM

I hadn't owned anything 4wd till I bought my wife's suburban. Never needed it. I'm in central IN and we defintely get our fair share. I also drive a truck for a living so could safely say I have a lot of experience on the roads in all elements. The 4wd gives me piece of mind while my wife is running my kids to school during trying times. As for me, I spent 9 years in a lowered 2wd 1/2 ton Chevy with a limited slip diff and good winter tires. Never had a problem with getting stuck. Good tires are a big chunk of it. Most issues I see are with inexperience or flat out stupidity. Probably more the latter considering snow is no stranger here. That's my pair of pennies.

Eric
  • Cvans said thank you