The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,584 Thanks
  • 3,900 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 11:41 PM

That reminds me.....

My buddy that runs the dozer - he is always going out to a farm to look at what the next job requires.  He meets the land owner and if the guy has a diesel pickup he insists on taking his own gas burner 4X4 out to the back 40.  He said the diesels are so heavy they get stuck much more often. 

Edited by Gtractor, November 16, 2014 - 11:41 PM.

#17 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 06:29 AM

Ours now is 4wd but I have a friend who lives further north then us has never had a 4wd vehicle , his current is an old Dakota 4cyl stick , he just puts some weight in for the winter , good tires and in his case a good driver ( note that's why I need a 4wd lol )

• Cvans said thank you

#18 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 06:51 AM

I drive 4wd since owning a subaru. Bought it in 2006. New snow tires and got stuck in a massive traffic jam headed out of the city during a rain/snow storm. Sat for an hour watching 2wd trucks try to make it up this steep hill with a turn in it. Sometimes it took them 3 tries, tires spinning furiously, sliding sideways up the hill. When my turn came I put it in second and drove up the hill never spinning a wheel. Since then I am driving a 4wd.  Traction is traction weather it be using a tractor or a truck. Same rules apply. You need good tires, weight and sometimes dif lock, 4wd and chains to get the job done. Ground clearance is the problem for most cars but trucks have an advantage there. Having some way to lock the hubs and get true 4wd is something that many basic 4wd trucks don't seem to have these days. 

#19 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,634 Thanks
  • 1,732 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 06:52 AM

I was 59 before I had a 4wd.  2wd pick-ups and rwd cars. Only time i missed work was when I wanted to.  Bought a 4wd cherokee 4 years ago and traded to a 4wd gmc pick-up.  It still needs wweight in the back.   Eventually had to get fwd car. Yes they do better in the snow, but not nearly as much fun!    Rick 

• boyscout862 said thank you

#20 Bob IN OFFLINE  

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24042
  • 1,473 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 07:01 AM

Well I guess ill throw my two cents in. Ive been driving since I was 16. Now im 22. I have never owned a 4x4 truck. All ive ever drivin is 2 wd trucks. Mostly chevys. The very few times ive ever got stuck is when I shouldn't have been out on the road. Dad and I went up the farm drive way that's up hill (not to bad of hills). I have a 87 chevy c20 with a limited slip rear axle and it drug the bottom of the truck threw the snow and got were I was going. I think a lot of it has to do with tires, weight, vehicle and the driver.  

• boyscout862 said thank you

#21 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,867 Thanks
  • 2,789 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 07:21 AM

1986 chevy S10 2wd 4cyl iron blk some cement blocks in the bed awesome in snow

#22 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 07:48 AM

We never had 4wd on the farm (50's through the 70's).  I do have 4wd now, but don't use it much, mostly to start moving with a heavy trailer, seldom need it for snow driving.  Like Kris, if the roads are that bad, I stay off them!

• Gtractor said thank you

#23 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,795 Thanks
  • 2,193 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 08:05 AM

I've had both. Presently I use 2wd because the mileage i rack up in year,45K, but with 300# steel plate and good snows, I usually don't have too many issues. 4wd have there place , you don't really get stuck as easy with them, but with me being on the highway only, I just don't need one. If the weather is that bad , I don't go in! too many other crazy drivers on the road for it to matter wether you have 4wd or 2wd! M2CW Tom

• boyscout862 and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#24 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 12:40 PM

Way too many people out there that think 4wd will make up for their lousy driving abilities!

I had an episode when I first bought my 1971 Ford 1/2 ton 2wd.  I got icy during the day, i was working at a lumber yard, so I loaded up some concrete blocks before heading home (20 miles).  When I was about to turn off one hwy onto another, the 4wd in front of me spun a complete 360* in the road.  I just drove around him setting on there on the road & went on home!   :D

Edited by grnspot110, November 17, 2014 - 12:40 PM.

• boyscout862 and Bob IN have said thanks

#25 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 02:42 PM

With a 2WD pickup, weight in the bed is your friend when it comes to traction. My first truck was an F-150 2wd and with 400# or so in the bed, winter driving was no problem at all.

My current truck is a 4WD Dodge Dakota.  It handles snow just fine.

The biggest thing to remember when driving in the winter with a 4WD is that while they do offer a bit more traction than 2WD, they don't STOP any better.

One reason you see so many 4WD drive vehicles off in the ditch is because folks forget that.

• Gtractor, boyscout862 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#26 junkman OFFLINE  

junkman
  • Member No: 61811
  • 125 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 04:10 PM

Been driving for 28 years and have never owned a 4X4 truck. I never have had a problem with some weight in the back, and figure the 2 wheel drives are easier on gas and maintenance. I do have a all wheel drive SUV for the wife for she is not much of a snow driver. One other thing that is a must for my trucks are they always have a standard transmission which I think is easier to drive in snowy conditions. I see the best advantage with a 4X4 is in the mud. But I just tend to stay out of that stuff so as to not tare things up. A positive track rear end in a 2 wheel drive is really nice.

#27 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 948 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 04:25 PM

I have and need a 4x4 for loading my boat every weekend during the season  otherwise I would not bother. We have a different climate, much colder and snow is dryer than you fellows in the USA where you get that nasty wet snotty snow.   Our roads are generally dry and ice packed during the winter.  Slicker than snot on the steering wheel when the sun comes out but traction is not a problem on the ice otherwise...

#28 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 04:26 PM

One reason you see so many 4WD drive vehicles off in the ditch is because folks forget that.

And they still think they can drive 70MPH on the thruway covered in snow...... :wallbanging:

• KennyP and LilysDad have said thanks

#29 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 04:37 PM

We have the 2wd F150. Granted I don't drive it all the time but have used it in the snow quite a bit and as long as you keep some weight back in the bed it did good. My car is rear wheel drive and that is the way I prefer it. Actually does just as good as my wife's front wheel drive car in the snow.

#30 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,473 Thanks
  • 5,007 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 04:55 PM

Actually does just as good as my wife's front wheel drive car in the snow.

That's not normally the case. What kind of car are you driving? Here again tires can make a huge difference. 

We just purchase an AWD and is that nice. Never had one before.

Edited by Cvans, November 17, 2014 - 04:55 PM.