Who Owns A 2 Wheel Drive Truck?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,045 Thanks
  • 4,976 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 09:11 PM

Had a discussion tonight with a guy that said 2 wheel drive trucks are useless.

I disagreed. I've lived in an area with snow all my life and owned a few 4x2 trucks. Awhile they are not super in the snow they do go with a little weight in the bed.

So who here lives in a snowy area and drives a 2 wheel drive truck?
  • Cvans, MFDAC, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#2 fogler12538 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 59557
  • 254 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 09:24 PM

I live in northern Maine and drove two wheel drive trucks for years. I never had trouble with weight in the back. I couldn't afford 4x4 as I spent most of my money on drugs and alcohol.

#3 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,635 Thanks
  • 1,325 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 09:26 PM

My dad drove one for 8 or so years when he worked for the county as a mechanic. He had to be there when the plows went out so no roads were plowed on his way to work. I can remember only one time he couldn't make it. I think it was the Halloween storm of 91. After that he found a 4x4.

#4 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,137 Thanks
  • 2,269 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 09:49 PM

My first truck was a 2 wheel drive. With no weight they are pretty useless. I had weight in the bed and studded snow treads on mine and never had a problem on the roads. The driveway was another story. I could never make it up the driveway with that truck if it snowed. Other than that, it did fine.

Edited by David Brown, November 16, 2014 - 09:49 PM.

#5 diesel nut OFFLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 460 Thanks
  • 307 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 09:53 PM

I had a few when i first got my license and didn't like them but that's probably because I had no experience driving in snow at the time.  I've got 2 now that you can't pay me to drive in the snow. One's the worst I've ever driven in snow because it has a Cummins diesel with a 5 speed so it just spins even with weight and the other one has a built 360 with an auto in it that unless your pulling a heavy trailer it likes to spin the tires on dry pavement plus its an '85 with no rust anywhere on it.  My dad has almost always driven a 2wd and doesn't have any issues unless there's ice mixed in.  The only time I can remember him having a problem was when he had a diesel like mine except an automatic.  I think he needed close to 900 pounds in the back to get it to go good with aggressive studded snows. I run 4x4's now with plows though.  Have too many friends that drive cars with bald all season tires that have steep hills to there houses.                 Stewart

Edited by diesel nut, November 16, 2014 - 09:54 PM.

#6 superaben OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 09:55 PM

I do not believe in 4x2 trucks.  :D

All I own are 4x4.  Snow isn't the reason as much as work.  You can't rescue tractors with 4x2. 

Ben W.

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#7 Jazz OFFLINE  

• Member No: 62028
  • 1,345 Thanks
  • 884 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 09:59 PM

really,,some guys think they need a 4x4 to get around in the snow,,,suck it up buttercup and put the big boy panties on.  Choice of tires is important.  Ice racing on the harbour is very popular here and many guys are only using blizzaks ,,no studs 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG-20140425-00215.jpg

Edited by Jazz, November 16, 2014 - 10:15 PM.

• Gtractor, grnspot110, tractorgarden and 5 others have said thanks

#8 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,422 Thanks
  • 2,785 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 10:09 PM

I don't consider just the 4x4 part in this truck, but you also get more pulling/hauling capacity with them. I pull a lot of semi's around, so that's the part I need the all wheel drive for.

#9 tater195 OFFLINE  

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,252 Thanks
  • 891 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 10:23 PM

I just drive a 900# gt in the back of my 2wd and leave it there until spring. I have to drive an E/W road that doesnt get plowed until the county feels like it. Even the curvy county highway doesnt get plowed when it needs it. I had a '94 jeep wrangler up til 2 years ago. It got around good but driving it was like sleeping in a tent. Not fun at -5f. I had to wear coveralls just to go to work. I just give'r hell in the truck and try to keep it between the mailboxes. I have not been stuck yet, but I have had the speedo up to 75mph trying to get through the snow drifts. The auto tranny seems to do better trying not to get stuck than the shifters, but the clutch helps you stop.

#10 Cat385B OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,295 Thanks
  • 8,666 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 10:38 PM

I had a 69 F100 with a 360 and a three on the tree for two winters, got stuck once because I was driving too fast. Upped to a 95 Cummins one ton dually flatbed that was 2wd, but the bed was 11.5'. Lots of weight back there, never had an issue.

I will never own another, though.

#11 Gtractor OFFLINE  

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,378 Thanks
  • 3,804 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 10:52 PM

I've always had 4X4 pickups and still have an F250 4X4 plus a I-H Scout. 

If its bad enough on the roads to need 4X4, I'm not going anywhere.  I am generally laid off in the winter so theres no urgent need like  getting to work. 

If we have an ice storm, the freezer is full and if the power goes out, I have a generator with a second generator for a backup. 

Now there have been a few occasions where the 4X4 comes in mighty handy but I never consider 2 wheel, or 4 wheel when purchasing a vehicle. 

Some vehicles just go better than others as I posted on here before about a 4X4 company pickup that wouldn't even get down the "road" to where the two wheel drive pickup was stuck. 

At a tractor show this last August that was pretty much rained out,  several guys were ribbing me about my front wheel drive [back axle doesn't pull at all] Dodge pickup and how i was going to bury it when I tried to leave.  After loading my display tractor in the back, I crawled out without spinning a tire and left many with mouths wide open in disbelief.  I knew I would get out but figured I'd at least spin some...

#12 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 39654
  • 1,332 Thanks
  • 1,452 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 10:53 PM

Both me and my dad own 4X4 trucks but hardly ever put them in 4wheel.  that may change when I start driving to farm sales next spring, seen lifted trucks get stuck at these sales as a lot of these sales turn into mud pits really quick. 

#13 Cvans OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,321 Thanks
  • 4,916 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 10:55 PM

97 f-150 2wd with limited slip. 400lbs of steel slabs laying next to the tailgate and away we go. Good tires make a huge difference also. These pickups came with pockets formed into the bed so you can stand a plank on edge across the box to keep things back by the tailgate. Comes in handy in the winter. Also keep a 4x4 in the garage just in case.  :smilewink: 

#14 nbent OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8320
  • 627 Thanks
  • 519 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 11:06 PM

we have 2 farm trucks that are 2wd an 87 dodge with the 4 speed and 318 and an 87 nissan 5 speed that is really light on the back end plus it is geared way high.

then we have a 2000 dodge 4x4 that has a hard time going anywhere in mud or snow even with 4x4 our 87 dodge will go many more places the 2000 will especially with weight in the back 

#15 tater195 OFFLINE  

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,252 Thanks
  • 891 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 11:18 PM

I have only had the 1 4x4 , '94 jeep ( '04 - '12). I have only been stuck 3 times in 35 years. The first time was self induced stupidity and a 4wd wouldnt have helped because it was sitting on the back bumper. #2 slid off in the ditch with an ice base and a 4wd John Deere tractor couldnt pull it out. #3 was in the jeep passing a slow car on a 2 lane highway and the slush pulled me off the road. I didnt get stuck until a 8" hump turned it into a tripod and it would not move.