• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 cricker OFFLINE  

cricker
  • Member No: 63304
  • 3 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 03:47 PM

Hello i just joined up and wanted to get a little help on my garden tractor. Its a 1981 sears ff/18 and i have had it since last spring. Used it all summer to mow yard and have enjoyed it. Now i would like to get the rear 3-point hitch in working condition and not sure where to get the parts. The lift works as it should but its missing the vertical links and lift arms. Anyone here sell these or know best place to get them? Also is this a type 0 3-point? Thanks Chris

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,755 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 03:56 PM

Welcome to the forum, Chris. Your FF would use a Cat 0 3 point. I do not know of anyone who reproduces those, but the FF guys will be along. I think KennyP has one with the 3 point on it.

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 04:25 PM

Welcome aboard, Chris!  There are some FF experts on here, they'll point you in the right direction.

Ben W.

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 04:28 PM

:wave: Welcome to the forum!

No, Cat, I don't have one! I have two FF/20's. One has a factory 3-point. The other has home made (but stronger) lower arms.

Chris, you might try our sponsors. I bought the factory one from here. If you can't find the lowers, I'll can see if I can get you the info to build a set.

• Sawdust said thank you

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 05:27 PM

Welcome to GTTalk. FF's are rare and have a good following here. Our site sponsors are a good place to start for your hitch parts. 

#6 cricker OFFLINE  

cricker
  • 3 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 07:53 PM

Thanks for the welcome's, i'm glad to be here. The tractor came with a set of arms but not sure they are the right ones. Can anyone show a picture of the factory setup? I will need to find the rest of the hardware to try and fit them up. 

• KennyP said thank you

#7 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 08:46 AM

:welcometogttalk:

Those FF tractors are well built, get it to your liking and it wil be a workhorse.

Good luck finding the arms, maybe ebay or as Kenny stated, one of our site sponsers.  I've seen them as cheap ar $100 up to 400.

Maybe able to use a set off another brand, but cannot verify.

:wewantpics:

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 08:56 AM

Thanks for the welcome's, i'm glad to be here. The tractor came with a set of arms but not sure they are the right ones. Can anyone show a picture of the factory setup? I will need to find the rest of the hardware to try and fit them up. 

The lift links are the same as the sleeve hitch links. Here's some pics for you!

Image020.jpg
Image019.jpg
Image018.jpg

Here's where I made the new lower arms.

#9 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 09:57 AM

:welcometogttalk: :wewantpics:

#10 cricker OFFLINE  

cricker
  • 3 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 11:35 AM

Its a rainy day here in appalachia but here are a couple pics of the machine...

photo1_zps44e0013d.jpg

photo2_zps7b3be363.jpg

photo3_zpsd9c650d9.jpg

photo4_zps983e5cd9.jpg

Hopefully that works. The last picture is the lift arms that came with it which are obviously not correct. Anyone have any ideas what they might be from? Possibly home made. 

Thanks KennyP for those pics and info. Not sure i have the means to build a set but my uncle owns a metal fab shop and might could help, ill have to study your pictures a little more. I plan to use this little tractor to work a garden and hopefully raise enough veggies for my girlfriend to sell at the local market. Also we want to try growing hops for the local breweries, three have popped up in our county in the last year. I have a few attachments, just need to get this 3-point fixed up...

• KennyP said thank you

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 07:40 AM

Found something that may help you out.

3Pt.jpg

One thing the pic doesn't point out is the threads on the adjusting link are 5/8"X18 (fine thread).  I'll search some more as this doesn't give the angle of the bends (or offset).

• Sawdust said thank you

#12 cricker OFFLINE  

cricker
  • 3 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 05:17 PM

Thanks again KennyP that's a handy little diagram. I should be able to fab up something pretty close with that even if you can't find the bend angles. Maybe you could use a straight edge and tell me how many inches the offset is? Not sure if that would help but i will take the info to my uncles shop and see if he can help me put something together. 

Any idea where i could find the threaded pins that the clevis assembly screws into? I will keep searching. 

• KennyP said thank you

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 06:48 PM

I'll get something on the angles for you, might be the weekend though. Haven't a clue on those pins. I've tried to find some similar several times and got nowhere. You might get real friendly with a machinist!

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 07:03 AM

Sorry for not getting the angles. Been busy during the week and weekends have been nasty around here. I'll get the angles this weekend for sure.

#15 cricker OFFLINE  

cricker
  • 3 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted November 28, 2014 - 11:45 AM

Not a problem. I chatted with my uncle last nite and he will help me make the lift arms and adjusting link so i'm going to go ahead and order the weld on ball joint ends. Would it be ok if i used 2" bar instead of the 1.75"? Also where exactly does the stop assembly go? Do i really need it? 

I have the tractor all torn down and going to attempt a paint job soon. I'll try and get a picture. 

One last thing, i have read that sears has their own size category 0, does this mean that any garden tractor implement i find on craigslist will or will not work? Reading this made me a bit confused.  Thanks again