21 replies to this topic

#16 Farm-ette Chuck OFFLINE  

Farm-ette Chuck

• Contributor
  • Member No: 7676
  • 19 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 07:15 PM

Bill, i think yours is the same as mine so if you get stuck just ask me and i can take a picture or let you know.Yours has the louvered hood right? I think it was called the ZT1000 model or something.The last model they made i believe.At first glance the work bird does not look to complicated but when you look at all the parts under it for the steering there are a lot.I have not taken mine very far apart yet.Just some big pieces and wheels still got to get the Austin Healy sprite back together and out of my garage.One thing i think our tractors have in common is rust,but i think i win when it comes to missing parts and dents! We need to add a file for just work birds so we can load picts of decals and other details.So how many members at GTtalk? 20,000+? if i did my math right and just 4 work birds WOW.....Yeah its pretty cold here in maryland too,got up to 15 today.I dont always spend a lot of time on GTtalk but with the weather i guess i will be here untill spring

Thanks for talking work birds!

Chuck

111 2042
Work Bird And Farm-ette

• Gtractor and GTTinkerer have said thanks

#17 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted February 16, 2015 - 08:09 AM

Chuck,

Mine has louvers on the right side of the hood only, the left side is flat.  As far as I can tell the shifter has 1, 2, 3, N for Neutral and P for park.  The right pedal controls forward and reverse direction with a neutral position in the center.  Left pedal applies the brake.  It also has the Workbird U. S. A. plate on the toolbox.

So I am confused you say it is a later tractor since it has the louvers on the hood but then it has the forward reverse pedal which is supposed to be the early model.  I could not find any serial number or ID plate on it during disassembly.

Guess I won't know for sure until I get it back together.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2006-10-24 Workbird 1.JPG
  • 2006-11 18 workbird 028.jpg
  • 2011-01-25_009.jpg

#18 Farm-ette Chuck OFFLINE  

Farm-ette Chuck

• Contributor
  • 19 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted February 16, 2015 - 07:17 PM

Do you have the lever #5 on page 4 of the manual?The one that locks the differential. Is that really a P or could it be a R? I have the louvers and i have a hole on the left side of the trans where that lever #5 would go but i do not see anything on the trans to hook it too.And i dont think its missing i think they just left the hole there after they redesigned the trans.I think that there is also a lever on the left side for locking the brake and i think if you have the P on the trans you dont get that lever.Do you have the lift reverse arm on page 7? I dont.The whole pully assembly is different.

Also note the hood in the manual,how the center opens,Mine and yours(i think) is a 1 piece hood with the louvers.

I think i read that they added the louvers on the right to help the motors from over heating.You have the wisconsin right? I think only the earlier ones had the smaller kohlers and the manual shows a briggs motor

The serial number/model number should be on the bottom of you grill.I dont know my grill is missing.

If you could send me some pictures of the grill and belt cover i am going to have to try and make them.

Think we are getting snow here tomorrow so i may be home and have time to look at my trans some more.

I am not a great expert on these machines but i will tell you all i can.I bet Gary knows.

Let me know what you find out

Thanks, Chuck

I like how yours is missing the left headlight and mine is missing the right.

Beauty ehh

#19 Farm-ette Chuck OFFLINE  

Farm-ette Chuck

• Contributor
  • 19 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 08:37 AM

I see DB1s work bird has the louvered hood and the kohler on it.

I wonder if he has a reverse or a park on his trans?

Chuck

#20 traktrjorj OFFLINE  

traktrjorj

• Contributor
  • Member No: 66
  • 45 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted March 15, 2015 - 09:31 PM

The earliest unit off the assembly line had a P for park but  the company had so much trouble with the drive system the P turned into the R for reverse. The units supposedly were all recalled in for a change. Before the change the right pedal was toe(forward) 1,2,3 or heel (reverse) 1,2,3 so if it worked right you would go as fast forwards as backwards but it didn't! I say, it was a good thing it didn't work! So basically the right pedal  is for(heel) neutral and forward(toe) in 1,2 and 3. In R reverse you still do the same thing. Push the right toe pedal forward and you  go backwards. The left pedal is the brake.  Be careful! It's tricky!

Also GT Tinkerers "#2 photo" is my # 2 Workbird that has not been restored. It runs good and I have cut quite a bit of grass with it (30" single blade deck). I also have another spare(#3) tucked away for parts. 

Edited by traktrjorj, March 15, 2015 - 09:39 PM.

#21 Farm-ette Chuck OFFLINE  

Farm-ette Chuck

• Contributor
  • 19 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted March 23, 2015 - 06:37 PM

Wow!! 3 WorkBirds!!

I think of the 2 we had the first one we got had the foot pedal reverse.Maybe they did recall them but we were in cape cod Mass so i guess there would have been a dealer there somewhere.I think that one also had no louvers in the hood,I know it had the lock lever for the differencial.Did they get rid of the dif lock lever or am i missing mine?Is there a workbird manual with the later transmission?

I know they were tricky to operate,I was just a kid and my dad never let me drive the workbird,oh i could drive the craftsmans and the farm-ette but not the workbird.He did have good reason,I did see them throw both my brother and my dad off of them.

Thats why when i do get mine restored it will be the sweetest ride ever!!

Thanks so much for any info you have,and thanks just for talking about workbirds!

Chuck

• Alc said thank you

#22 Farm-ette Chuck OFFLINE  

Farm-ette Chuck

• Contributor
  • 19 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted April 25, 2015 - 09:03 PM

Anyone know the correct color for work birds?

Many seem to be a dark ford blue. But i thought they were lighter so I have been powder coating with a light ford blue.

Garys looks to me like it may be all original and looks lighter like the light ford blue.

I hope light blue is correct,Dont want to try to remove powdercoating!

I am also useing an off white and not the Appliance white.

I am using Eastwood colors.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks, Chuck