#1 DB1 OFFLINE  

DB1

• Member No: 7710
  • 272 Thanks
  • 282 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 03:47 PM

Hi Everyone,

Here is my son's Work Bird by George.

He got it running today it has a 8 hp Kohler engine on it.

Attached Thumbnails

• Work bird.jpg
  • work bird1.jpg
  • work bird 2.jpg
  • IMG_3844.JPG
  • IMG_3840.JPG

Edited by DB1, November 16, 2014 - 03:58 PM.

• olcowhand, Gtractor, Alc and 7 others have said thanks

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 04:44 PM

Those are some strange machines for sure. Almost like a backwards garden tractor!  Wonder if that improves the tightness of turns set-up like that? Sure will have to watch where that mower is swinging out front when turning!  Neat!

• Alc and DB1 have said thanks

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 05:29 PM

Nice tractor. I like the rear steer with what looks like a chain to turn the wheel assembly. 

• DB1 said thank you

#4 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 06:52 AM

That is a very unique machine. Thank you for sharing the photos. I remember seeing pictures of that type of chain steer on some old narrow front farm tractor.
  • DB1 said thank you

#5 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 06:59 AM

That's real interesting. Sure would like to get my hands on one

of them, to tinker with. It'd be nice to see how the rest of the steering

system is set up.

Thanks for sharing.

• DB1 said thank you

#6 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 07:42 AM

I picked up one of them several years ago and it is scattered around the shop now.  I am hoping that I can get it back together this winter.  Over the last few years I seem to be loosing momentum.

I was told awhile back that there was only around 225 of them built and so far I have only found a total of eight of them but there are probably more of them tucked away somewhere.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2006-10-24 Workbird 2.JPG
  • 2 WorkBird3.jpg

Attached Files

• Bill56, IamSherwood, sacsr and 2 others have said thanks

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,395 Thanks
  • 39,658 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 07:44 AM

I thought NUTNDUN had built something new.

• DB1 said thank you

#8 DB1 OFFLINE  

DB1

• 272 Thanks
  • 282 posts

Posted November 22, 2014 - 09:53 AM

Why did this thread get moved to Electric?

It has an 8 hp Kohler engine on it.

• Lauber1 said thank you

#9 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted November 22, 2014 - 10:03 AM

Why did this thread get moved to Electric?

It has an 8 hp Kohler engine on it.

that's a good question, wondered the same thing.  Some place here I have some type of a manual for one of those tractors.

• DB1 said thank you

#10 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 22, 2014 - 10:18 AM

I moved it to the garden tractor forum. Not sure why it was in the Electric forum.

I have seen approximately two of these in our area. One guy has his at a couple of the shows each year. They are definitely neat to see in person.

• Lauber1 and DB1 have said thanks

#11 DB1 OFFLINE  

DB1

• 272 Thanks
  • 282 posts

Posted November 22, 2014 - 10:46 AM

I like the pelican on the decal.

He is so cute.

#12 Farm-ette Chuck OFFLINE  

Farm-ette Chuck

• Contributor
  • Member No: 7676
  • 19 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted February 14, 2015 - 01:59 PM

I have a work bird ,and really need to get restoring it.I need all the help i can get with info.I think there are 3 of us on here that do.I need pictures of decals and anything i can get.I have a few documents for the deck and assembly instructions I can post.I have personal experience with them as a kid because my grandfather had 2.I have been chaseing them all my life and they are really hard to find anything on.Maybe there are 4 of us because Gary Davis is a member that has 2 I think. I wrote to him many years ago and he sent me a little info.I bet he has much more.I know he is the man when it comes to work birds.I really would like a manual for the later birds,the one posted here is for the early rare ones with the locking trans,i hope everyone realizes that if they are trying to assembel one the pullys are quite different......... I can restore things ,build things,I am a master electrician but i am not good with navagating GTtalk.I have posted a lot of Farm-ette manuals and will post anything i can for anyone for free.And i would really appreciate any work bird stuff anyone else can give me,and of course i will gladly pay for parts too.Cant pay a fortune or travel a 1000 milesto get them.....Well thanks in advance for any info or leads.....Chuck

#13 traktrjorj OFFLINE  

traktrjorj

• Contributor
  • Member No: 66
  • 45 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 08:16 AM

Glad you got the old Workbird up and running. Actually, according to one of the managers at the plant, they only built 85 in the 2 yrs of production (65-66) . I have never saw one with a 66 Decal on the back. They are neat to drive around but maybe you have figured out that to most us backwards on the clutch and brake engagements. I explain to the older folks it's kinda like kicking it a right hand clutch on an old JD. Push your right toes plate forward and it goes forward. right heal down back to neutral . Brake is on the left . For a kid it's probably not as confusing as they haven't used the opposite combination for 50 yrs but for most us us if you push your foot down on a peddle the tractor should stop or disengage and on this one it doesn't . Be Careful ! The hitch on the rear will pull a cart around but remember your body weight is the only extra weight and the rear will scoot under you if you go to turn and there is to much to pull behind you. I have quite a bit with the 30 inch deck but not mowed with the 44" deck nor have I blowed snow with my snowblower attachment. They mow pretty well and do turn on a dime. Do you have the back fender plate or was it missing? Well, have fun with your project, Gary Davis

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

• Alc, Bruce Dorsi, GTTinkerer and 4 others have said thanks

#14 Farm-ette Chuck OFFLINE  

Farm-ette Chuck

• Contributor
  • Member No: 7676
  • 19 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 09:34 AM

Thanks Gary! You must have the nicest work bird on the planet and a hat too! Mine looks just like yours only rusty and missing the grill and belt guard.Its really nice to see the decals that i dont have.Whats on the back "Work Bird" "Made In USA"? Is your paint all original? It looks to Be. Your trans has a reverse right? I think the early ones went backwards by pushing your heel down in any gear high or low,That is how the manual posted here is.I think you once said you had 2 work birds? is the other the same or earlier like the manual? When I was a kid we had 2 one old one with a kohler and the reverse on the pedel the other with the reverse gear and the 10 horse wisconsin.I know this was very confusing for my older bro and dad and grand dad.most likley that is why they never let me drive it.I remember my dad slideing sideways down a hill in the snow i think when he got the peddles mixed up.My bro also rolled one end over ene when the bar for the deck that was tied up to the grill with tie wire came loose and stuck in the ground in front of him.Grandpop died in 72 when i was 8 and the last i saw the birds they were loaded on a truck and taken away.I got a computer in 95 and started looking for them but never saw one in the flesh untill hunting rust sold me his a couple years ago. I drove over the bay bridge 100 miles to pick it up but he sold it to me for a fair price.And i love it, Its still pretty rough but i have been buying parts when i can find them.Got some rims and another TRA-10D but i think the original was a TR-10D. I also just found assembly instructions,deck attachment instructions and a manual for the PTO take off.They are only a few pages but i will get them posted here soon. I am glad found the PTO manual,I thought i had imagined that one of ours had a machanical take off for a weedeater and hedge clipper attachment,I think this is what turned into the electric plug for hedge clippeters,etc.I have the big deck for mine but it needs a lot of work.I just bought a blast cabinet and a powder coating gun so its time to really get into the restoration. Hardest part will be making a grill. Well thanks again for any info or pictures you have posted....Chuck

work bird

work bird

• GTTinkerer, case442, DB1 and 1 other said thanks

#15 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 02:53 PM

I have been working on mine off and on for the past two months.  Been cold up here and the the wife has been complaining about me running the heater in the shop and adding to the gas bill.  Hope I can remember what goes where when I get started putting it back together but I did take a couple hundred photos during the disassembly.