#16 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,699 Thanks
  • 8,892 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 12:41 PM

I used Murphy's Oil Soap, and thought it worked better than Dawn dish soap.
  • hamman and LilysDad have said thanks

#17 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,332 Thanks
  • 1,317 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 01:16 PM

I have one from Harbor Frieght , works well for me, no more fighting with the little rascals !!! 

• hamman and Cat385B have said thanks

#18 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,635 Thanks
  • 1,325 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 01:21 PM

I don't know why those tire shops had a problem with do them for you. They'll mount to any tire machine just like a car rim. Most of the cars and trucks now days have 16" or bigger on them.
Looks like you have your new tire changer figured out...so when you coming to change a few atbmy place?
  • Cat385B said thank you

#19 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 01:22 PM

I have the same one. Works good. I read the same reviews, but never had a problem with the bead breaker. I have had a couple of stubborn tires and had to turn the wheel a few times to get them to break. I only use the included tool as a lever for the bead breaker. I purchased 2 of the cheap tire irons. Put tire on the machine to hold it at a comfortable working height. Use tire irons and work around to pop one side off the top, turn tire/wheel over and push the other bead down. Use a little dish soap and water to help the bead slide over the rim. Takes about 10 minutes to dismount and mount a tire.

I have done several car tires and a few 31" truck tires. I have even used it to break the bead on a LT that we couldn't remove the wheel from. Laid it on its side, broke the bead, and installed tube.  My neighbor liked it so much he went and purchased is own. Mine is not mounted yet, I have bought anchors just haven't found the right spot.  

I bought mine on sale with one of the 20% off coupons, Something like $42 delivered. Most places around here will not mount old tires or trailer tires, and the ones that do want at least $10-20 a tire. Paid for it self first time I used it. It is light weight, but with a little common sense, should last me the rest of my life.

• hamman and Cat385B have said thanks

#20 CRFarnsworth ONLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,634 Thanks
  • 1,732 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 02:13 PM

I've got both of the Harbor Freight models.  I clamp the small one in an old B&D Workmate. By removing the legs and putting my weight on the step it works pretty good.    The bigger one is mounted on a piece of OSB and with my 220 lbs. it usually doesn't move much.  They are both still a PIA but have paid for themselves.   A few of the wheels would not fit over the round base so I made  an adaptor to hold them up off of it and use some cardboard to protect the rim.   Rick 

Attached Thumbnails

• 001.JPG
  • 002.JPG
  • 003.JPG
  • 004.JPG
  • 005.JPG
  • 006.JPG

• Cat385B and glgrumpy have said thanks

#21 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,699 Thanks
  • 8,892 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 02:54 PM

One funny about HF, we got in there and I had forgot to print off a 20% off coupon before I left. Guy comes over to ask if I needed any help right when I found the tire stuff aisle. I handed him a slip of paper with the item #'s on it, and he went to the back to grab them. Another guy intercepts my wife about 20 feet away, she asks about where to get coupons and bats her lashes at him. Off he goes, comes back with a 20% coupon, a free flashlight, another coupon for a free magnetic tool bar, the magnetic tool bar, and a pink pliers. Puffs his chest and asks what else she needs. She turns to me, still 20 feet away, and asks 'Honey, we need anything else?'. Chest deflates, mutters have a nice day, and shuffles off. She claimed innocence, and said she did not pull out her wiles.
  • Alc, KennyP, CRFarnsworth and 5 others have said thanks

#22 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,640 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 03:54 PM

HF is running a sale on em right now,just got flyer in the mail.

#23 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,699 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 04:40 PM

Funny that this tread surfaced today.  I have the MC adapter for the HF tire changer, it works great for non-lug wheels.  Well I have been doing quite a few MC tires lately and I have found that with the MC adapter installed on the HF tire changer when I use the mount/dismount bar it is to high so I'm pushing with my ribs instead of my hip.  Well I finally got around to making my own stand for the MC adapter that will put it at the correct height today.  I have it pretty much done just need to drill some hole in the base and then paint it.  I also plan to reenforce the floor in the shed.

I've never had and issue with the bead breaker.  The problem has been the HF mount/dismount bar so I bit the bullet and bought a No-mar mount/dismount and that thing is great.  It make mounting and dismounting a tire manually a lot easier.

• Alc, KennyP, CRFarnsworth and 1 other said thanks

#24 CRFarnsworth ONLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,634 Thanks
  • 1,732 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 05:23 PM

I've never had and issue with the bead breaker.  The problem has been the HF mount/dismount bar so I bit the bullet and bought a No-mar mount/dismount and that thing is great.  It make mounting and dismounting a tire manually a lot easier.

I also have an issue with the HF bar.  Where did you get the No-Mar bar?     Rick

#25 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,699 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 11:43 AM

I also have an issue with the HF bar.  Where did you get the No-Mar bar?     Rick

I got it here, Rick.  I'll tell you ahead of time it is not cheap, but on the flip side you also get a big jar of their tire paste, a spray bottle, a bottle of their tire lube to use for tire dismount and a spare tip.  The also have videos on their site that shows you some tips and tricks on dismounting and mounting tires.

• CRFarnsworth and glgrumpy have said thanks

#26 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 03:40 PM

This is good posting.  ON the bead breaker, you can adjust the pivot or fulcrums on the links and I have found moving the arms in closer for a smaller bite works better on GT tires. I also have to many  times pull the breaker back towards rim edge for better bite than where first push wanted to be. Clear as mud? 

• Cat385B said thank you

#27 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,699 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 08:23 PM

Yes you can adjust the bead breaker.  I have to adjust mine depending on what type wheel I'm working on.