#1 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,704 Thanks
  • 8,894 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 10:10 AM

Last weekend I got a flat on my Bolens G152.
image.jpg

So I was down to the Ariens ST824s.
image.jpg

I found slightly used turf tires on CL, mounted on Ingersoll rims.
image.jpg

Here is the old versus new comparison:
image.jpg

The old tires were tubed, and a crack between lugs pinched the tube. There are two cracks, each about 2-3 inches long. I might try to patch them, they are original to the tractor. (Made in Japan by Bridgestone)
Calling around to tire shops: I decided to have them switched out by a shop. I did the last ones on my Homelite T15, with screwdrivers and pry bars, and vowed never again. My FIL was there, and suggested a tire shop. About 6 times. Per hour. He once asked if I served in the Navy during the course of an old tire removal. Here are the responses from the tire shops, once I got my tubes, in no particular order:

We can fit you in, a week from Monday.
No thank you.
We don't do tractor rims. (My response was 'it's a 16x6 rim with a 225/75') They responded 'we don't do ag tires'. WTH?
One shop said they would not guarantee the tubes. I said I'm not looking for a warranty. He responded that he meant during installation, I should bring extras.
We only have two techs today. The ones I can see through the window vacuuming the rice burner?

That's where I said eff it, and went to Harbor Freight.
image.jpg

So we're mounted to a pallet on rugs in the heated garage, 93X is cranked, and one old tire is off. We'll do this one in real time, and post as I go. Only one smoke break per tire, no alcohol until the last one.

Unless it goes bad, then I'll start in ten minutes.

GO!

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

• Bolens 1000, larrybl, hamman and 5 others have said thanks

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,704 Thanks
  • 8,894 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 10:14 AM

The dog needed out. Smoke break.
  • KennyP and superaben have said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,414 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 10:20 AM

You're not done yet? Pokey! I have one of those changers. Works pretty good, but not as good as having someone else do them! But it has paid for itself! I've even done the wheels off a Jeep!

• Cat385B said thank you

#4 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,609 Thanks
  • 3,910 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 10:25 AM

Are we supposed to be taking bets on how long it is until the pallet boards self destruct and the new tire machine is laying sideways on the floor once the "UMPH" is put on there in an effort to break the bead?

:deadhorse:

• Cat385B, LilysDad and superaben have said thanks

#5 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,943 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 10:32 AM

I was eyeballing one of those yesterday. Told my Wife that it would make a nice Christmas gift, along with the Shop Crane, Bench Drill Press, Table Saw, Compound Saw, Truck Dolly, and about half dozen other items. Thanks for the mounting option, as I wasn't sure how I would have mounted it.

• Gtractor and Cat385B have said thanks

#6 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,245 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 10:41 AM

We have an older HF tire changer. The old shop manager cemented a steel pole into the ground and attached it to that. When we were doing the shop remodel, it had to go due to lack of use and simply being in the middle of the shop. 

We since mounted it to a work bench made from 2X6s. It is still on there, but the center pole that's threaded isn't. Mostly due to the bead breaking. All our might, we have had little success with it. Flat heads and vice grips on the rim have been more successful with us.

We also have a tire shop that charges $5 to do the job. It's much cheaper to go that route.

#7 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 10:53 AM

None of our tire places around here will do GT tires. They barely do boat trailer tires. Sad, lots of trailers and GTs around here. If we want tires done we have to take them 30 miles one way to get them done. I try to do them myself. Pry bars and lots of dawn dish soap. Might be a good place to open a tire and repair shop. Hope you get them fixed Scott.                                                                                                                                                Roger.

• Cat385B said thank you

#8 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,704 Thanks
  • 8,894 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 11:06 AM

First one done and mounted and chained.

image.jpg
  • Gtractor and hamman have said thanks

#9 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,704 Thanks
  • 8,894 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 11:06 AM

Smoke break!
  • KennyP said thank you

#10 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,652 Thanks
  • 6,469 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 11:08 AM

Need a Firestone shop that does ALL tires. Mine is a few blocks away. Think it is about $7 to dismount, and another to Mount. They Will NOT mount someone elses New tires. Buy them there, mounting is free. They also prefer to use their tubes, not some you bring in. Can understand that, they are a business trying to make money you know.

I have that tire changer. I mounted mine on metal tube to go into my truck hitch. Sets a little high, but workable. Not as good on bead breaking, as have to hole or balance tire and wheel up there or set on blocks by truck. I have real good luck removing the tires with the tool. The "Holding" mechanism is just a bent bar, but is needed to keep wheel from turning, no matter how tight you make the clamp part. Where I have no luck is putting tire back on. The tool does not seem to want to stay in the rim and walks out as you turn it. maybe it is my technique?  Seems like it needs a sharper bend and little longer tab on end of tool??  I also found you can't do front  wheels and tires of GT's, as the holes for axle are too small to fit over the center post. Have had some I could knock out the bearings and would fit over, but that is rare. Bead breaker works on them still, a big help. Little ones are harder to hand change than big ones. I take them to shop, not breaking my B's doing those on floor.

#11 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,704 Thanks
  • 8,894 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 11:10 AM

I read the reviews and thought the attached bead breaker was crap. So I got one:

image.jpg
  • Gtractor, hamman and LilysDad have said thanks

#12 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,196 Thanks
  • 5,215 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 11:14 AM

Hey you maybe done befor lunch!

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,414 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 11:21 AM

I have used the bead breaker with success. My machine is mounted to concrete. I built a holder for the front wheels.

Image030 (Small).jpg
Image028 (Small).jpg

• Gtractor, hamman and Bmerf have said thanks

#14 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 11:48 AM

I bought this one...

HTRK60001-2.jpg

Works very well, but need to do some fabrication for front (3/4") diameter axle wheels.

• hamman said thank you

#15 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,704 Thanks
  • 8,894 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 11:53 AM

Ready to go:

image.jpg

MNGB, send me a PM about these darn Ingersoll rims I keep tripping over, if you want them.
  • Bmerf said thank you