18 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Unwin OFFLINE  

Mike Unwin
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12382
  • 380 Thanks
  • 297 posts

Posted November 15, 2014 - 09:54 PM

They don,t come around as often as they used to but today we had great time at a local auction, not to far away and weather hovering around 32 f was not to bad. There was walk behind tractors, a sturdy old Gilson snow blower, a few Cushman reel mowers with Cushman engines lots of Wisconsin engines.

Old stationary engine and farm tractors and tools and equipment of every kind. Some walk behind implements of unknown origin, heavy duty Toro Whirlwind mower and a large fairway type Toro tractor.Picked up a Empire tractor and cultivator, tractor needs one tire, tube,pair of wood handles and the engine reassembled.  Really needed the cultivator for the wheel and lift mechanism to finish the plow I got from Jamie this summer. So all and all a great day, prices on  the Empires were a little surprising mine was $20. and the other $7.50 . Below scrap price I would have thought, hoping it did not end up there.

I know they looked tough but fairly complete really,seen worse come back to life . If I ever get Stateside need to bring back a couple of sets of handles really hard to get here. Cheers Mike

• NUTNDUN, shallowwatersailor, wvbuzzmaster and 5 others have said thanks

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 15, 2014 - 10:09 PM

Glad to hear you had a great day at the auction. Was there a good turn out of people? Surprised some of the prices were that cheap which is great for the buyer. Did you happen to get any pics?

• Cat385B and Columbia236 have said thanks

#3 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 05:34 AM

:wewantpics: :picsoritsnotyours:

• Columbia236 said thank you

#4 Mike Unwin OFFLINE  

Mike Unwin
  • Contributor
  • 380 Thanks
  • 297 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 09:52 AM

The turn out I thought was good I would have got more pictures but since it was a big auction there was two auctioneers going at the same time. I wore my snowmobile suit to keep warm so I regret now not having more pictures. All I got was pictures at home, the one tire took air okay and I eased it up slowly and it looks fine now. Cheers Mike

Empire Tractor 1.jpg Empire Tractor 2.jpg Empire tag.jpg

• Lauber1, DB1, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and 3 others have said thanks

#5 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 03:08 PM

man im just going to have to get up there and do some scouting around, you guys are find some great walk-behinds, and I suspect that others are going to scrap with out any fanfare at all.

#6 Tbrooks OFFLINE  

Tbrooks
  • Member No: 61764
  • 405 Thanks
  • 292 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 07:34 PM

I picked up a pair of new handles at a flee market for my empire. They were intended for a manual push cultivator, but they are identical in width, thickness and length. The only differance is the ends curve down more.
  • Mike Unwin said thank you

#7 Mike Unwin OFFLINE  

Mike Unwin
  • Contributor
  • 380 Thanks
  • 297 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 09:02 PM

You have an Empire ? Wow , on the tool box lid where was it made ? I was told some were sold with a different lid indicating U.S. built ,can you post some pictures ? I am starting learn a little with every purchase but 3 does not give one a huge pool to examine,seems late in 1945 they stared using a different gas tank and bracket.

The early ones with the Briggs Model B used  a bracket that mounted solely to the  transmission,while the newer ones I,ve seen use  a two piece bracket. One bracket attaches to the transmission and another to the cylinder head. This pictures shows the bracket facing {for some reason } backwards.Cheers Mike

Attached Thumbnails

• bracket.jpg

Edited by Mike Unwin, November 18, 2014 - 08:35 AM.

#8 Tbrooks OFFLINE  

Tbrooks
  • 405 Thanks
  • 292 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 05:48 PM

Mine has Windsor Ontario on the lid. It has a briggs 14 on it right now, I think that is a later repower. There is silicon "gasket" between the block and oil pan. I plan on putting a model B briggs back on it.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• superaben and Mike Unwin have said thanks

#9 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,717 Thanks
  • 4,275 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 06:32 PM

Mine has Windsor Ontario on the lid. It has a briggs 14 on it right now, I think that is a later repower. There is silicon "gasket" between the block and oil pan. I plan on putting a model B briggs back on it.?

I remember seeing yours when I was up there. Mine has a model 14 just like it and seems i've seen another with the 14.. I wonder if they were a repower or just a later unit? Didn't they make one that used the model Z as well?

#10 Tbrooks OFFLINE  

Tbrooks
  • 405 Thanks
  • 292 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 08:32 PM

I remember seeing yours when I was up there. Mine has a model 14 just like it and seems i've seen another with the 14.. I wonder if they were a repower or just a later unit? Didn't they make one that used the model Z as well?

I am not sure, the silicon on the oil pan and the way the gas tank bracket has two holes for the engine side and only one hole lines up with the head bolts makes me think it was a repower. I measured the head bolts on a B and it matches the gas tank bracket, but I haven't checked a Z. Dad has several Z's I will have to check that out as well. I personaly like the looks of the Empires with the crank start B's, just looks beefier.
  • MH81 and Mike Unwin have said thanks

#11 Mike Unwin OFFLINE  

Mike Unwin
  • Contributor
  • 380 Thanks
  • 297 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 09:13 AM

Tbrooks thanks for posting the pictures, I was beginning to think I was the only one collecting them. Do you need a manual or other literature ? I can send them to you. You are lucky you got the plow they seem scarcer than the cultivators. I was lucky Jamie gave me a plow and I got Empire # 3 with a cultivator just so I would have the plow depth / carry wheel assembly. I also have seen pictures on the net floating about with the Briggs model 14 on it. Doug T does yours have the US made toolbox lid ? I was talking to a gentleman up here who talked to the son of the company founder , believe the son has passed on . Would great if some one in the family would publish some stories or factory pictures. Cheers Mike

• Tbrooks said thank you

#12 Tbrooks OFFLINE  

Tbrooks
  • 405 Thanks
  • 292 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 07:35 PM

Tbrooks thanks for posting the pictures, I was beginning to think I was the only one collecting them. Do you need a manual or other literature ? I can send them to you. You are lucky you got the plow they seem scarcer than the cultivators. I was lucky Jamie gave me a plow and I got Empire # 3 with a cultivator just so I would have the plow depth / carry wheel assembly. I also have seen pictures on the net floating about with the Briggs model 14 on it. Doug T does yours have the US made toolbox lid ? I was talking to a gentleman up here who talked to the son of the company founder , believe the son has passed on . Would great if some one in the family would publish some stories or factory pictures. Cheers Mike

any info you have would be appreciated. I do not know a whole lot about Empires, I saved this one from going to the scrap yard. The only thing I can see is missing on the plow is the coulter. That isn't surprising to me, many farmers in our area removed the coulters on their plows due to our soil conditions and steep side hills. I did find an ad online for a model 77 4 wheel riding empire, it looked like they used the same rear wheels as the walk behinds. The front wheels look like the same design only smaller. I think that would make a nice companion to my walk behind if I could ever get my hands on one. You should try to post a manual to the manuals section. I am sure there would be a few other members interested in it as well.

#13 Tbrooks OFFLINE  

Tbrooks
  • 405 Thanks
  • 292 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 07:42 PM

Mike, I noticed that your empire with the cultivators also has the second lever with the idler pulley for the sickle bar mower, mine does not have that. I have the drive pulley on mine. Could you get a close up of the idler assembly?

#14 Mike Unwin OFFLINE  

Mike Unwin
  • Contributor
  • 380 Thanks
  • 297 posts

Posted November 20, 2014 - 11:33 AM

Hope this pictures works for you if not let me know , I will get the info off to you . Think I already posted the manuals on another site. I will email them to you anyway. If I can be of assistance let me know. I think there is two different PTO lever mechanisms seems number 3 has a little bracket on the handle for the PTO the other one did not. Cheers Mike

Attached Thumbnails

• Empire PTO 1.jpg
  • Empire PTO 3.jpg

• Tbrooks said thank you

#15 Mike Unwin OFFLINE  

Mike Unwin
  • Contributor
  • 380 Thanks
  • 297 posts

Posted November 20, 2014 - 11:35 AM

Some more help here.............http://www.oldironga...arden-tractors/