27 replies to this topic

#1 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted November 15, 2014 - 03:46 PM

Yup, winter is here.  I knew that for sure when diesel went from 124.9 to 133.9 per litre in the space of two days.

Parked the dump truck and the mower last weekend,  got the oil changed and the batteries pulled.  Put the rear scraper blade on the JD 420. Pulled tarps over everything that lives outside during the snowy months. 

Monday I guess I'll be wiring cardboard to the front of my work truck.  Then it'll be nothing but stuck forklifts and misery until sometime in April.  Oh, goody.

This is my 50th winter.  47 of those have been spent on the Canadian prairies and three in Ottawa, where it's relatively warm, presumably from all the politicians spewing hot air.  After all that practice, you'd think I'd be better at it.

I'm not though. I dread every second of it. The cars and trucks that won't start. Having to plug in vehicles every night and every morning.  The constant arthritic ache.  The heating bills.  The extra cost of gas because you have to warm everything up for 10 or 15 minutes before you can drive it.  The bad roads.  The people who haven't figured out how to drive in snow even though they've lived here their entire lives.  The itchy legs from the long underwear. Having to let the dogs in and out because the inside door has to be closed.

Now, I know there are people who like winter, who think hockey doesn't make you stupid and having a beer can freeze to your lips is somehow bracing. I am not one of those people though.  I used to try to be.  I went cross country skiing and rode snowmobiles and even slid around on a toboggan.  I jump-started cars and framed houses and cut firewood and dragged strangers out of ditches.  I even went winter camping once, in a tent.

A word of advice...never go winter camping.  If one of your "friends" suggests it, likely the best course of action is to hit him repeatedly with a shovel.

Winter is here though, whether I like it or not. It was -19 when I woke up this morning and there's a light skiff of snow on everything.  Even our most adventurous cat is spending her time indoors.  All I can do about it is wake up every morning and go to work, and hope that we don't get too much snow so I don't have to go outside and clear it.

My ancestors came here from four different countries.  They could have moved anywhere, but they decided to move to this godforsaken ice box. Now I pay the price.

• MH81, Alc, Sparky and 14 others have said thanks

#2 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted November 15, 2014 - 03:52 PM

I like your sense of humor . BS is still BS in any country or language . We were told to eat bacon fat for winter insulation and now they want us to buy lots more clothes and  eat awful tasting stuff . What was that about a shovel swing ?

• Reverend Blair, hamman and JDBrian have said thanks

#3 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted November 15, 2014 - 04:29 PM

65 years old and I can honestly say I detest winter. Cold id colder, winter seems longer and summer seems shorter. All non winter GTs and tractors winterized Sta-biled and batteries brought into the warm garage. Winter Gts are in the warm garage. Room for the cars and trucks in the garages for the winter months and we are ready for that " Long winters nap "......  well maybe mot all winter. Hoping that if it is cold we don't have as much snow as we did last year. Just my thoughts at this time of year.                                                                                                                                                                                            Roger.

• Alc, Reverend Blair and HANKG have said thanks

#4 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted November 15, 2014 - 04:43 PM

I hate Summer...of course it never gets that cold where I live..but summer is pure hell..so humid here that mildew will grow in your car if you dont keep check on it.

• Alc, hamman and JDBrian have said thanks

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 15, 2014 - 05:09 PM

I'm not a big fan of winter. I don't like the lack of sun and light as the days get shorter this time of year. At least in January the days start to lengthen again. I hate the cold, I always seem to be cold and my wife is always too warm. So the temp. in the house stays low and I put on extra clothes. I'm a big fan of summer. I love it! 

Winterpeg is another story. I'd never want to move there. Far too cold for me. We are having a cold snap here right now. It's early for a freeze here. It stayed below freezing all day today. So it begins for another year. 

• Alc, hamman and HANKG have said thanks

#6 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted November 15, 2014 - 05:11 PM

The older I get, the less I like winter & I'm too tight (or too lazy) to move elsewhere!   :D  :D  :D

• Gtractor, Alc, hamman and 2 others have said thanks

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted November 15, 2014 - 05:16 PM

Winter is not so bad....the side effects however ARE pretty bad.  As said, jump starting everything way too often, pipes freezing, all the usual fare, but my being on blood thinners will likely bring a whole new viewpoint on winter & her cold.

• Alc, Sparky, hamman and 3 others have said thanks

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted November 15, 2014 - 05:39 PM

I can do without it. Trying to figure out how I can move way South cheaply!

• Alc and hamman have said thanks

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted November 15, 2014 - 05:47 PM

My perfect world would be spending time during the warm season in Canada, so I could get health care taken care of there, then head to some of my friends places in Bama or Georgia for the winter!  :smilewink:

• hamman, richwoodrocket and Auburn David have said thanks

#10 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted November 15, 2014 - 05:52 PM

I LOVE winter!  The long nights, very short days, cars/trucks/tractors that won't start, dog does not like to go outside to do his business, hands/feet so cold they can't be felt, spending 30 minutes getting bundled up to drag dog outside to do his thing for 2 minutes, wife that finds every darn ditch I have to dig her out of, long driveway to be shoveled out because tha darn snowblower is too cold to start, having to spend a good deal of the darn hot months swinging an axe/chansaw for firewood for the winter makes the summer pass so fast I get nothing else much done...... yea.. I love winter.  I'm sitting here, looking out the window at our snow covered fields, throwing wood on the fire, drinking a bottle of crown royal and dayum glad I'm here.  yup  Atleast the smell of the fudge the wife is making in the kitchen puts a smile on my face.  yup

Gots ta add, can't blame my ancestors.... they settled in Indiana... I'm da fool that settled in Norf Dakoota.

Edited by FrozenInTime, November 15, 2014 - 05:55 PM.

• MH81, Alc, hamman and 2 others have said thanks

#11 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted November 15, 2014 - 05:56 PM

I hate Summer...of course it never gets that cold where I live..but summer is pure hell..so humid here that mildew will grow in your car if you dont keep check on it.

We used to go to Anniston / Oxford area in the summer when the Xs sister lived there. It was very hot and humid. Liked the area because of the mountains though.

Roger

• Auburn David said thank you

#12 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted November 15, 2014 - 06:13 PM

Funny how as we get older the winter seems to get longer.In my younger yrs winter wasn't to bad kinda enjoyed doing all the stuff like everyone mentioned. Now after having done all the stuff like that I'am quite content to let the younger one's have there turn. Maybe if i did stuff like before the winters would go by quicker as well. Biggest problem now is that my mind would like to do what I used to but my darn body just doesn't seem to want to co-operate,with it.Joys of getting older!!!

• Alc, hamman and EricR have said thanks

#13 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted November 15, 2014 - 06:15 PM

Winter found it's way to SW Iowa to.  Been freezing here for the last week. About 6 or 7 inches of frost.  Didn't get all the winterizing done.  Had 60° one day and the next morning it was 21°  The older I get the less I like winter.  Have a ton of wood pellets in the basement, 90 bushels of shelled corn in the garage, a big load of wood in the machine shed, and I am sitting by the warm fire watching Wisconsin kick the _ _ _ _ out of Nebraska.  Bolens with the snow blower is ready to go in the garage.  Heater is pointed dead at it and after about 10 min it will turn like it was summer.  Got about an inch of fresh new snow to clean the air out good once again.  And yes we have slick roads to go with it.  We don't have to go anywhere but a short walk to the barn to feed the critters once a day.  Rest of the day I spend in the basement shop working on things for the Garden Railroad next spring.  The joints don't move as good and 8 meds a day for this, that, and the next thing but they haven't taken away my whiskey sour as yet.  But maybe they don't know I keep it around for special (daily) occasions either ? .  Do I like winter?  Not really but it isn't a darn bit warmer 6' under either.  You have to like, just learn to live with it.

• Alc, hamman and IamSherwood have said thanks

#14 richwoodrocket ONLINE  

richwoodrocket

16 year old JD lover

• Contributor
  • Member No: 57205
  • 147 Thanks
  • 177 posts

Posted November 15, 2014 - 07:04 PM

The part about people not knowing how to drive in snow even though they lived there their whole life is so true.
I love the winter and snow. And I love living in one of the snowiest cities.

Sent from my potato using Tapatalk

#15 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted November 15, 2014 - 07:11 PM

I've lived in ohio most of my life. We are south east. Winter isn't so bad here. Last winter was the coldest I've ever seen here.

I spent 2 winters in northern pa. Coldest and snowiest place I've ever been. First time I'd ever seen over 2 feet in one storm.