11 replies to this topic

#1 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted November 15, 2014 - 02:42 PM

Friend of mine asked me about the LS compacts.  All I know is that they are blue.  I looked a little on-line and they seem okay.  About the same features as everybody else, 3 cylinder Mitsibushi diesel.

Friend needs something in 23-30 HP range for light work around his 5 acres.  He wants something new because he's not very mechanical.  He'll be mowing, moving snow, moving a bit of firewood, likely some tilling and landscaping.  The specs show the LS to be capable of doing what he needs, but I have no idea if they are reliable or anything.

Anybody know anything about them?

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 15, 2014 - 05:12 PM

Don't even know what you mean by LS? Regardless of brand you can usually find out a lot by doing an online search for reviews or problems. 

• Reverend Blair said thank you

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted November 15, 2014 - 08:16 PM

Brian, LS is a compact tractor brand.

http://lstractorusa.com/

They are Korean built, and from my experience with them, not as "quality control focused" as I would like.  Get a good reputable dealer who knows tractors if you are shopping for LS.  You'll be leaning on his pre delivery inspection, not the one LS thought they did.

Ben W.

• Reverend Blair and Cat385B have said thanks

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 11:39 AM

This brand seems to be the newest one being pushed around Mid-west by me. Lots of new dealers or old dealers with new product advertising in the Auto-RV mags we have here.  I've always wondered about many of those and if they would be good enough to stay offered for years, not just a few months.  Mahindra seems to be another one being pushed.  Myself, think the Massey brand would be best bet for finding dealers and service, seem like good machines. BUT, they are foreign too, not sure if any are made in USA. Maybe J-Deeres, but with foreign chassis to start still I think.

• DougT and Reverend Blair have said thanks

#5 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 08:45 PM

Just about all the Compact Tractors are made overseas, now, though I do believe Mahindra? has a plant in the US.  John Deere's are made by Yanmar, Kubota of course builds their own, the Massey's are built by Iseki, I believe, the New Holland Boomer's are made in Korea IIRC, Kiotis are also Korean.

I looked at a lot of compact tractors before I bought my Kubota B7100-- I didn't care much for the Korean-built tractors, like Kioti and LS, the Mahindras seemed pretty decent though the Eco-Max was cumbersome to use the treadle pedal on the Hydro, and I didn't fit well on the operator's platform.

IMO, Yanmar builds about the best tractors overall, with Kubota second.

FWIW,

Smitty

• rustyoldjunk and Reverend Blair have said thanks

#6 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,411 Thanks
  • 3,162 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 05:18 AM

Out of all the little units out there that I have seen and worked with and on, the Japan made were really decent, I'm talking about the "Real tractors" the ones that are solid from engine to rear axle, both these make believe things with the enginein backwards running a Tuff-Torq transaxle... Mitsubishi and Yanmar were definately top of the heap, Kubotas were not that good nor was the Indian built clunkers. The Italians have a few that are very stought and could also come in jd green . VM-Motori is one of them as is Lombardini too. But they are hard to get parts for and cost big $$$ .
Look at all the features and how they are made, not the fit and finish of the plastics! Its function is far more important!! The pedals, pivots, linkages, things like these that xould rust up or bend is my main concern... I hate trying to un- sieze linkages on the new Kubotas.... Horrible.
  • Reverend Blair said thank you

#7 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted November 22, 2014 - 10:06 AM

Thanks everybody. We went and looked the other day, then we stopped at the Kubota dealership on the way back.  Today I'm taking him to the JD place (he's not gonna like those prices), the Ford/New Holland place, and the Case/IH place.

What I found at the LS place was that the salesman didn't seem to know anything.  Whether the tractors are any good or not, and they look okay, it does not bode well for service.  As I said, my friend isn't very mechanical.  We got one started in -20 though (it was plugged in) and the hydraulics all went where they were supposed to without much whining.  I found the pedals were a little small/close together for my boots, and the dash lights were dim.  There might be a way to turn up the brightness, but I couldn't find it in the dark.  It felt kinda cheap though, if know what mean.  Nothing tangible, just maybe too light or something? 

The Kubota seemed pretty good too, but I didn't know about that linkage thing.  They let my friend push some snow around their lot...his first tractor drive...and he really liked it.  They seem to deal with a lot of first-timers.  Hope he realizes that the back-hoe is extra and he doesn't need one.  They only carry Kubota attachments though, and that drives the price up pretty quick.

Now that we're actually doing some shopping, I think I'll push him towards one of the New Hollands or Case/IHs.  I sometimes deliver to both of those dealerships and know that they offer excellent service.  I also know that both dealerships are good at putting together packages, so hopefully they can set him up with a blower, tiller, and FEL.  That should get him started. If he's still rich in the spring, we can shop for more toys.  I'm pretty sure he'll need a box scraper and a PHD just in case I need to borrow them.

#8 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 06:19 AM

And New Holland it is.  He bought a lightly-used (68 hours) demo Model 24 with a belly mower and FEL, and he gets a rear-mount  blower and a 5 foot tiller with it, both Farm King.  I guess I'll find out if the attachments I sometimes deliver are any good now.

He really liked the idea of having the blower on the back so he could keep the FEL on.  We'll see how happy he is with that decision after a couple of uses.

Anyway, they'll be delivering it this week. I expect I'll be drafted for some training.

• KennyP said thank you

#9 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 06, 2014 - 09:58 AM

And my friend loves his new tractor. He used it to drive the 1/2 mile or so to pick up the mail the other day. It was -32 with the windchill and he was driving down the road.  I stopped and asked him where he was going and he said, "Just picking up the mail," like it was normal.  

He's clearing snow that nobody would clear. Today he's moving his woodpile and the only reason I can seen for him doing that is that he gets to use his tractor.  I seem to have created a monster. 

• KennyP said thank you

#10 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,736 Thanks
  • 8,912 posts

Posted December 06, 2014 - 11:09 AM

He's clearing snow that nobody would clear. Today he's moving his woodpile and the only reason I can seen for him doing that is that he gets to use his tractor.  I seem to have created a monster. 

Have him sign up here, we can cure that.    :thumbs:

#11 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted December 06, 2014 - 01:09 PM

I seem to use my tractor for the oddest things as well, just to get some seat time. Move some dirt,move some snow,move some ?????? Guesses I likes doing thingys with me tractors. LOL

• KennyP said thank you

#12 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 12, 2014 - 10:32 AM

I seem to use my tractor for the oddest things as well, just to get some seat time. Move some dirt,move some snow,move some ?????? Guesses I likes doing thingys with me tractors. LOL

I understand that. I am no longer outstanding in my field. More often than not I am just riding around on my tractor? I tell my wife I am checking the fence.