• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,898 posts

Posted November 14, 2014 - 07:14 PM

I know it's an "age" thing but the last couple years when it gets cold the last 3 fingers on my left hand go numb before I can get the driveway clear.  so this heated handgrip idea interests me.

I have a JD 828 D  2 stage snow blower. For all the world it looks like an Ariens painted green....

They show them available rfrom Ariens though all I can find are "newer models" with B&S snow engines and they say "will not work with older models with Tecumseh engines.
Judging by the engine serial number I'd say the blower is a '99 or 2000 model.  but being Tecumseh I'd guess by the standard above it would be considered "older" (though it is the newest piece of equip of any kind that I have, by a long shot) They show them for ATVs  and harleys, what's the difference? All seem to be for a 7/8" handlebar whether they are listed as "ATV" or "Ariens" or Harley Davidson.
I don't see anything out there offered "for John Deere snowblowers"  

anyone here have any thoughts on this idea? what did you use? what brand, etc grips?

#2 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,912 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted November 14, 2014 - 07:23 PM

They make battery powered heated gloves that work very well just a thought.
  • GlenPettit said thank you

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted November 14, 2014 - 08:26 PM

Engine would need a bigger charge output I would say. Many are only 15amps or is that watts? or whatever, they are low.  Newer engines have more output with all the electric stuff on items now days. Think that may be diff in age of machines?  Look in Cycle mags for ads for battery op gloves maybe?  They have the socks, so why not gloves? At least liners to put in gloves or Mittens. Snowmobile shops might be good place to look also. Do you where Mittens? They might be better for warmth, a little less handy for doing any detail work if needed to run the rig.

#4 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted November 14, 2014 - 08:39 PM

The heated gloves are much better then heated grips.  Several of my friends have switch from heated grips to heated gloves.  You can get either heated gloves or liners and as HankG said you can get a battery pack for them.   I have heated gear from my toes up to my neck and when I run all of it, the current draw isn't very bad at all.  I have my connection wired to my battery. 

I saw the tile of the tread and I had to check what forum I was on.  Thought I might be over on the Harley site.  I see this question quite often over there.

• richwoodrocket said thank you

#5 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,898 posts

Posted November 15, 2014 - 04:00 PM

no mittens, I hate them...that aint gonna work. .can't do anything that requires working with your fingers.... I hate gloves, period, for that reason/  in my job as a fleet mechanic both my co workers use latex gloves or "mechanix" gloves, as does a long time dealer mechanic buddy... but I can't work too well without the "feel"... I can't seem to get used to it.

but when working outside for any length of time in the cold I have no choice... but thy are always getting soaked when doing snow removal which makes my hands COLDER until I get back to the house to swap em out... I may also look for a snow blower cab to fit this thing.... but  even if I do  get some  heated gloves I would like heated grips if possible too. .... Even though I have a 120V electric start this motor has a charging stator because the snow blower came with a headlight when new and it works continuously as long as the engine runs; there is no onboard battery. Would I need a battery on board with the charging coil wired to it as a trickle charger to make use of heated grips on this machine for extra capacity to make them work?  I know ATVs and motorcycles usually have a small battery on board for their starter motors, and I see all kinds available for them.  What is the difference with the newer Ariens that have a Briggs engine other than the fact that they are Briggs as opposed to the Ariens machines built with  old standby Tecumseh Snow Kings? (like my blower has on it)

also in reference to Ariens,  of the 7-8+HP Ariens 2 stage blowers I have seen the frame looks the same (look at the 45* beveled top  transition to the sides)  also the cast iron gear case looks awful Ariens-ish, and the locking diff.. seems too much the same to be "coincidental".... I know either Murray or MTD made Deere's TRS series snow blowers, and also that Toro made Deere's pushmowers in the early 70s, they were Toro Whirlwind models painted green.... so it would not surprise me a bit to find out that Deere farmed out their snow blower line to someone like Ariens.... does anyone know anything about this?

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 15, 2014 - 05:27 PM

I have an Ariens walk behind. I think it's a 2004 model. I bought it as a leftover in the spring of 2005 at a good price. It was pretty much top of the line 11.5hp tec. with 12v battery start, a differential in the wheel drive, heated hand grips and the cast iron auger gearbox like what was in the tractor mounted blowers. I can't lay my hands on the manual right now but could get the model no. off it if you want. The heated grips are a big help but my feeling is that heated gloves would be a good choice as well. 

• dodge trucker and richwoodrocket have said thanks

#7 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,898 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 12:09 AM

yeah Brian, at this point I'd like to do both..... battery electric start? I dont ever remember seeing a snow blower set up that way, most all I have seen are 110V plug in

#8 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,898 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 12:10 AM

yeah Brian, at this point I'd like to do both..... battery electric start? I dont ever remember seeing a snow blower set up that way, most all I have seen are 110V plug in

being that yours is battery start that may make a difference as to whether what you have would work on mine?

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 07:33 AM

It seems to me that I determined that there are 2 coils on the alternator. 1 coil seems to run the light and maybe the heated grips and the other charges the battery. I just finished changing the battery and getting it ready for action. The original battery lasted less than 1 yr. but was replaced under warranty. I got 8 years out of that one. I'll see if I can get you the model no. and maybe some photos later today. 

• dodge trucker said thank you

#10 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 09:47 AM

The trouble with with heated grips is they heat just you palms but gloves keep you whole hand warm.

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 05:15 PM

I got the model No. It's 924508. I found a parts manual on line . Heres a copy of it. Not sure if it will help but it should give you an idea of how the grips are powered. I tried to get a service manual but I could only get a generic manual for an older blower. Page 34 of the Continuity and Wiring  section has a wiring diagram that indicates the grips and light are powered directly off of a alternator winding on the engine. There is a separate charge winding for battery charging. 

Attached File  02497100D.pdf   1.63MB   36 downloads

#12 richwoodrocket OFFLINE  

richwoodrocket

16 year old JD lover

• Contributor
  • Member No: 57205
  • 147 Thanks
  • 177 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 09:28 PM

I have an Ariens platinum snowblower with heated hand grips. To be honest, I never use them. I would recommend heated gloves. I know when I was comparing models, the deluxe models don't come with the heated handgrips and they are available as an add on accessory.
HDWildBill also makes a good point. Also, as soon as you take your hand off the heated handgrip, you lose your heat source.

Sent from my potato using Tapatalk

#13 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,442 Thanks
  • 953 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 10:28 PM

my neighbour has the heated tailgate on his ford,, he pushes the truck back and forth to work, to the grocery store but just like the heated grips,,as soon as you let go your hands go stone cold. I too would recommend the heated gloves.

#14 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 03:49 PM

Jazz, heated tailgate...Cute!   Just got a Brookstone mailer. They have hi-end gizmos for big money and they have a pair of heated gloves that heat BOTH sides of hands and all the way to fingertips. Battery and charger included. Only $225! Wow! That heated stuff that expensive other places?  Cycle mag has ads for heated vests, undergarments, gloves, sox, other items. No prices listed in the ads, have to go on-line to see.

#15 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 08:22 PM

Yep, heated gear is expensive, unless you find a deal like got.  I got the jacket liner, pants liner, sox, heated gloves, a set of glove liners, controller, several wire packages and the wire to connect to the batter all for less they you paid for your gloves.  The guy had decided to sell his bike and just wanted to get rid of it all.