• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 DanG OFFLINE  

DanG

• Member No: 1892
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 03:28 PM

about a month or so ago i went to buy a 69 simplicity s6 snowblower from a gentleman on craigslist, when i was picking it up from his barn, i saw a really cool looking tractor sitting next to it with a plow on the front..i commented that i liked it and he mentioned he was looking to sell it also..
$200 it was in the back of my truck :)
after talking to guy at tubeframes.com (who is incredibly helpful i might add), it was determined that the tractor was essentially a hodgepodge of different year parts, its got what i was told is an 8hp (pull start only) tecumseh from a snowblower
pics of hodgepodge...they're not good pics bc it was really cold and windy when i took them

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 03:31 PM

:welcometogttalk: Glad to have another Bolens owner on the site. Thanks for posting pictures right away.

#3 DanG OFFLINE  

DanG

• 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 03:33 PM

2 days ago while searching craigslist for parts for this bolens (correct motor maybe..attachments..a pto setup since it didnt have one) i came across an ad for an "old bolens tractor", below it was a listing for a deck for said tractor...and below that a snowblower
i contacted the seller and went to see the stuff with no idea of what they wanted for any of it since all the ads said "make an offer", they said they thought it was a g10 but now after looking around im certain its a 1050, i got the tractor (complete but has an old late 60's sears/craftsman motor on it turned sideways), what i think is a 38'' deck but havent measured to be certain yet, and a 36'' snowblower ..for $140..i'll be putting pics of teh 1050 up as soon as i get some..i dropped it at my mom's place so it could be undercover while i go over it bc it hasnt' been run in a few years

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,203 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 03:41 PM

From looking at the pictures you definitely have some parts off different model tractors.

The transmission is from one of the 6 Speed models (1000,1050 ect..)
The driveshaft and clutch petal are from a 600. It appears you have the sheet metal of a Bolens 600. The engine is not original.
If I were to guess I'd say the tractor originally started out as a 63'-65' 600 and various parts were added/replaced along the way.

Welcome to the Forum!!! You came to the right place for Bolens information!

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,203 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 03:43 PM

If you were to get an original engine (Briggs 6HP)

And a old style 3 speed Transmission You would have a complete Bolens Husky 600.

#6 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 03:45 PM

Great to have you here, keep us up to date on the tractors, we love pictures. There are a lot of great BOLENS Guys on here that can help you with about anything you come across. WELCOME !!

#7 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 04:01 PM

:welcome: to gtt an the bolens gang alway nice to have more bolens guys. thats a pretty nice project 600 you have. well i would the the 6hp like the doc said but if the trans is in there wothout being riged i would leave it in because the 600s didnt have high/low its nice to have if you ever get a tiller or snow blower for it.:thumbs: i hope you get it pained up pretty to keep it preserved. i beleave bolens was the best tractor ever made. i have a collection of them an there reliable an very strong and versitale tractor with a wide selection of attachments an reasonable priced. they have became alot more collectable in the last 5 years. well good luck with her an remember if you treat her good she will not let you down:laughingteeth:

#8 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,203 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 04:03 PM

Here's a picture of what it used to look like:

I dont think it was one of the Gold ones judging by the old paint. You dont see any specks of gold paint anywhere do you?

Attached Thumbnails

• Husky 600.jpg

#9 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 04:23 PM

Welcome DanG,glad to have you with us.
Congrats on your "new" Bolens.

#10 DanG OFFLINE  

DanG

• 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 04:33 PM

no signs of any gold paint that i could find, i'm pulling the seat/hood/fenders off and getting them blasted and then painting them but i dont think i'll be going back white..just havent decided what color it will be yet
the blue on the dash..and red on the entire chassis appears to be the original colors of their respective pieces, however i dont think they were born together...so to speak
i'm going to get more pics of my 1050 and the attachments asap when i get over to my mom's again
how did i do as far as price goes?, after buying the 1050 i didnt feel quite as good as i had previously about hodgepodge but still no regrets..its a cool piece none the less
also, now i have a mower deck, plow, and snowblower, what other attachments are there to look for?, did they make a 3 point hitch for these? and if so how hard are they to find and where is the best place to look?

#11 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,203 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 04:45 PM

The original colors for that 600 are the brown and white that I shown in the previous picture. Bolens never used blue or red for the body.

As far as price I think you may have over paid a bit. If It had the original engine $200 would be about right. The Briggs for that is sort of a hard thing to get a hold of but a good deal none the less.

There were around 35 different attachments that were avaiable for the Bolens tubeframes. The most common are tillers, snow casters, mowing decks, front blades.

The tubeframes did not offer a 3pt hitch. They used a sleeve hitch for some of the implements.

#12 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 05:08 PM

:wave: DanG Welcome to GTTalk! Glad to have you with us! I'm sure that you'll enjoy the forum, what with all the Bolens nuts we've got around here!

#13 DanG OFFLINE  

DanG

• 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 05:44 PM

so i've got 3 of the 4 most common, a tiller would be nice to have..i'll keep my eye out for one..whats a fair price to expect to pay for one?
i kinda figured i overpayed on hodgepodge..it was an impulse buy 100%..oh well
as far as colors, not really sure what to think on that, whoever painted the chassis was thorough lol

#14 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,203 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 05:47 PM

Dont feel bad. Its still a good deal... I have done some impulse buying as well LOL.

Its hard for me to give a price on a tiller because all the tillers I own came with a tractor I bought. I never bought one sperately.

I would figure you could get one for around $50-125 though

I have seen Bolens painted many different colors over the years. I dont know what it is but people seem to always re-paint them non original colors. I have nothing against what people decide to paint their tractors but I always ask...were the factory colors really that bad?

#15 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,203 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 05:52 PM

Here's some pictures of various attachments: