Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

How Do You Heat Your Shop

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#31 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 08:44 PM

When you use a propane heater how much ventilation do you need?  Would cracking a window be enough?

• larrybl and Kmac1 have said thanks

#32 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 08:51 PM

I would think so Bill, I have used mine for many years in the old shop where I had small gaps in the door frames, enough to cause the tarp divider to sway slightly. New shop has a 1"gap and the electric vents. One caution... Don't use those store swap tanks, I had one that leaked at the valve and didn't notice it till I went out to take care of business, and when I came back in the gas smell was strong. 

• HDWildBill and Kmac1 have said thanks

#33 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,441 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 09:05 PM

I have a high efficiency(74%) Pacific Energy wood stove that will keep the garage 70 degrees or better if I want,,,however i am not always so efficient when its toasty warm in the garage

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1865.JPG

Edited by Jazz, November 18, 2014 - 09:14 PM.

• olcowhand, grnspot110, HDWildBill and 5 others have said thanks

#34 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 09:56 PM

If the stove was built out of stainless and the flue was up to code, I cant see where the problem was. Sounds like the insurance company must have been doing the " paint by numbers" thing and nixed it because it didnt have a UL sticker. The production stuff probably isnt built any better than the barnyard stuff, they just payed an engineer alot of money to put his stamp on it.

Your are exactly right on the " paint by numbers" comment.  As a past insurance adjustor/inspector I can attest that the insurance companies (ALL OF THEM) are going to do what ever they possibly can get away with to lower their risk and increase their profit.  I had to tell the insured to remove their wood heater from their shop/garage and close the hole in the roof more than once.  Just like their mandatory $1000 deductible for wind or hail damage.  Wind and hail damage is 80% of their claims.  Now for every wind/hail damage claim they stick and extra $900 in their pocket.  Even for smaller Mutual that amounts to $80K to $100K a year.  And the premiums stay the same or go up.  And they blame it on 9 -11  ?  Ever see an insurance man in an older home or drive an older vehicle like the rest of the working class does? 

#35 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 10:13 PM

When you use a propane heater how much ventilation do you need?  Would cracking a window be enough?

They usually have it printed in small hard to read print on the side of the heater or in the owners manual. I think my 30k said 2sqft, so that would be equivalent to a normal sized window open 6". Hard to heat a shop like that !

• HDWildBill, Kmac1 and chieffan have said thanks

#36 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 08:57 AM

The bulk of my woodworking is smaller projects.  I have a large 14' X 70' shop for the major tools and work.  The assembly, etc. I do in my 12 X 12 basement shop.  All of this is seasonal, Nov. through March.  Major projects now is building structures for my outdoor railroad out of cedar.  A good hi efficiency propane furnace heats the large shop when needed.  The basement is heated with a multifuel stove burning corn/wood pallet mix.  In either location it is comfortable working conditions.  I usually run it up to about 68° in the large shop for an hour before starting to work.  Do all the sawing, etc. for the projects at hand in one setting and then close the furnace down till next time.

Before the multifuel stove I used two electric heaters in the shop area as the basement stayed at 60° all the time.  Didn't take much to take the chill off and keep the fingers warm.

• Kmac1 said thank you

#37 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,441 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 10:06 AM

Apparently I'm fortunate to have natural gas to heat my home also stove,clothes dryer and hot water heater It also heats my shop it is the next cheapest fuel to wood. I do have a wood burning stove in my rec room.

Heating with wood is not cheap IMO,,and it is almost like a full time job,,or more like a bad habit. I really should switch to natural gas as everything in my house including the clothes dryer are on gas but we like the ambiance of sitting in front of the fire,,,

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0551.jpg

#38 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 10:34 AM

You guys with the chairs in the garage look like you 'nest' there in your Man-caves!  I use my shop to fix / make things myself..  I have a 'man-cave' in the house..  Unfortunately the wife can hear me snoring from it though!

• Kmac1 said thank you

#39 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 12:09 PM

I use a natural gas ventless 30,000 BTU wall mounted heater to heat a 24' X 32" shop.  Six inches or fiberglass in the walls and about eight inches of blown in cellulose in the ceiling.  I start the heater on high when I go into the shop and in about 15 minutes it is warm enough to work and I turn it down to the lowest setting and the temperature stays about 60* which is about right for me.  Haven't had an issue with carbon monoxide yet but I am in and out plus opening the overhead door to get the Jacobson out to blow snow.

• HDWildBill and Kmac1 have said thanks

#40 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,806 Thanks
  • 2,208 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 02:42 PM

I had a ventless type like GTTinkerer in my basement shop at the old house, and found it to be moist. they tend to leave moisture behind when burn the gas not having to be vented.

my garage / shop now is not air tight so i use  double burner on a 20# tank just to keep the chill out, like Kmac1. I tried to leave it on long periods but noticed the rust buildup when it ran out of fuel and all the metal returned to ambient temps. So now I just use it to warm the area I'm working in, just starting it a few minutes before I go out to take out the chill.

one of my goals is to tap into my new boiler int the basement adding a modine style blower unit in the garage. It will mainly be used to keep the temp above freezing as to not waste to much oil. Of course before that happens I need to tighten up the insulation so not to waste the heat. Tom

• Kmac1 said thank you

#41 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 03:37 PM

A 70k btu modine on nat gas roof vented in my garage. A friend gave it to me and it has been much appreciated. I wired up a double gang box on mine w/ one wall switch to cut power to it and a 3 way switch so I can run the fan continuous or cycle w/ the burner. I figure it uses less gas to run the fan continuous. It blows cool air until the burner comes back on but it's still tee shirt weather.
Mike
  • Kmac1 said thank you

#42 Tim Bergfeld OFFLINE  

Tim Bergfeld
  • Member No: 60783
  • 218 Thanks
  • 449 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 06:50 PM

I like this thread I have a 40x104 pole barn for my toys that I am using fuel oil now and it takes forever to heat it up with the fans Going to move the air what should I do. I have a pellet stove in the house but no way one of those would heat it what should I use and why
  • Kmac1 said thank you

#43 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 09:10 PM

I like this thread I have a 40x104 pole barn for my toys that I am using fuel oil now and it takes forever to heat it up with the fans Going to move the air what should I do. I have a pellet stove in the house but no way one of those would heat it what should I use and why

Tim,

Anyway you could put up a wall or two to make a smaller area that could be heated and used as a shop and leave the rest set up for cold storage?

• Kmac1 said thank you

#44 Tim Bergfeld OFFLINE  

Tim Bergfeld
  • 218 Thanks
  • 449 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 09:43 PM

No I wanna keep it open I have one 12x20 foot area closed in for painting stuff but that's it

#45 Tim Bergfeld OFFLINE  

Tim Bergfeld
  • 218 Thanks
  • 449 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 09:46 PM

So that is my problem what would you guys do if a wall is not an option
  • Kmac1 said thank you