#16 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,482 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted November 14, 2014 - 08:40 PM

If the stove was built out of stainless and the flue was up to code, I cant see where the problem was. 

The fire may be well contained but if the damper is accidentally left open, door left ajar or other event, the exterior temperature of the stove exterior can rise to the point that other items in the vicinity of the stove can ignite.  A UL listing is no guarantee that a wood stove can't start a fire either. 

I use waste oil to heat the back shop which is 18' x 20'. The front shop which is smaller and insulated to the hilt is heated with one of those small 110v oil filled heaters running on low. 

• propane1 and Kmac1 have said thanks

#17 Kmac1 ONLINE  

Kmac1
  • Member No: 62275
  • 521 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted November 14, 2014 - 08:41 PM

I have the wood stove that was in our house growing up, I got when dad passed, but not practical to use for heat in my shop. I will most likely buy a second 2 burner heater and second bottle to finish out this winter. Thanks to all who replied. Willie
  • propane1 said thank you

#18 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,310 Thanks
  • 4,660 posts

Posted November 14, 2014 - 09:00 PM

A guy I worked for years ago was throwing out an old Reznor heater..  I said..  I'll take that!!  TYVM!  

I hung it @ the end of the shop's ceiling and it's piped through the roof..  I have a couple 100# propane tanks..  I only use it a few times in the winter and one 100# tank usually lasts the season.  It takes it a while to heat things up but once it does the shop stays warm since it is so well insulated for 4-5 days..  It was a great grab and the price was the best!!  Sometimes I get lucky!

103_2015.JPG

Edited by WNYTractorTinkerer, November 14, 2014 - 09:30 PM.

#19 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted November 14, 2014 - 09:43 PM

Neighbor next door uses an old fuel oil furnace, 100,000 btu's, that I helped him remove from a basement remodel. Turn on and garage is warm in minutes. Fuel oil/diesel is expensive, but easy to use. 

I heat the shop with a wood stove. Neighbor across the road cuts trees for a living, usually plenty of wood for free. Most is in 3' pieces, cut once, split, and in the stove. When weather is cool and damp, the stove works real well, up 80* with barely a fire. Above 20* it takes ~1-1 1/2+ hours to warm the barn, 24x36, to 65-70*.  Below 20*, I put up plastic sheeting to reduce the heated space to ~24x24 and again can get the heat up to 65-70*. My walls have 2" of high density foam insulation that is used for flat roofs on buildings, got it for free, years ago. The ceiling is basically un-insulated with just scrap OSB strips nailed above the rafters, again free off job sites. One of these days, fiberglass insulation will find its way into the space between the rafters. It seems nobody throws this stuff away. 

#20 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted November 14, 2014 - 09:44 PM

right now we have a small portable kerosene/diesel heater i would love to find a waste oil heater cheap as we generate a few hundred gallons of waste oil. we also have a wood stove in the corner and a natural gas furnace but neither of them and usable right now. if i could i would just burn wood but when it gets really cold the air quality goes to crap and they ban burning.

#21 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 935 posts

Posted November 14, 2014 - 10:22 PM

I thought the propane burners (torpedo style) needed a fresh air vent to be safe and not build up CO. I have a small 30,000 btu that I used once in the garage at my last house. It kinda smelled bad and I raised the garage door a few inches. The next day, my daughters guinea pig that was in the basement (accessed by stairs from the garage) was dead. I figured it was from CO, maybe got too cold. It went through a bottle of propane pretty quick. I cant imagine trying to feed a big one. K1 is high around here, if you can find it.

We have a big diesel fired one at work. I think it is probably the biggest one they make( 7ft long 3ft tall). My ex-boss didnt mind spending money on stuff like that (could be the reason he doest work there any more) It would burn something crazy like 20 gallons in an 8 hour shift.  It put out alot of heat, but it was like standing next to a camp fire, you got warm standing next to it but when you moved away and went back to work, you felt colder than you were before.

#22 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted November 14, 2014 - 10:37 PM

been doing what ever I can get my hands on, I have been thru a couple of hand me down kerosene torpedo's ("salamander")  putting $$ into a couple of them, even... borrowed one the last couple winters and even bought "tune up" parts for it just in time for it to develop a hole in the kerosene tank... at $5/gallon  I cannot afford to run that even "occasionally"   

The other issue is that as soon as I am done and kill the heat it goes back to "ambient" outside temp, and everything in the garage "sweats"  which I HATE...

I have used propane "construction" type heaters, too.  cant seem to keep a good thermocouple on them.
My garage is 30X36 with 10' ceilings plus a 6/12 gable roof with an attic I can walk in

I also have the attached garage that I finally bought one of those "ventless" heaters for  last winter and connected into the house nat gas line for the times I am out there.... my family room is usually the coldest place in the house so i typically have to keep "some" heat in the attached garage to take the bite off the cold in the family room.... 1300 sq ft house, plus 500 sq ft attached (previously unheated)  garage 

I have a 100K BTU Modine hanging heater in the detached garage been hanging for 2 years now, just dug the trench and put the PVC in the ground so I can run the corrugated stainless  gas line thru,  to feed the Modine the gas that it wants from the house line...

I still gotta cut the hole in the roof for the vent stack but at least now I can get gas out there to it... that's an improvement in itself/

I started with a 50K version, didnt think it would be enough to heat that area so when I ran across a 65K BTU version I sold the 50K... I then found a 40K BTU Hot Dawg with thoughts of running 2 heaters just for "those days" and running 1 most of the time....

and finally I found the 100K heater that I now have on CL at a price I could not refuse from a "city guy" whose city would not grant a permit for him to extend his gas line to his garage,,,, this heater is only a few years old too... (only about 1/2 a season of use on it since new///  PO had it a year or 2 collecting dust before I did)  It is 18*F out there right now, I ain't out in the garage... I am hoping to get a "bearable" weekend yet soon, so that I can finish the hookup and I can have a permanent dependable source of HEAT out there... 

I never did try the smaller hanging heaters out there, based on how a 100K BTU salamander did out there/ when it is like it is out there right now that 100K BTU was "jsut enough"  so a 65K Hanging one, sure would not suffice.

as with my own 2 post lift in that garage,  it is undoubted that I will be out there working on someone's car or equip on  the  absolute coldest days this winter, that never changes... if I can get 50-55*F out there when it is  around +10*F outside that would be awesome. I already have a "cold temp" T stat that will allow me to drop the temp to <40*,  while still keeping the heater "live" while I am not out there.... above freezing in the garage "all the time" should reduce the sweating and resulting tool/equipment surface rust, rather than just allowing the garage to drop to the same temp as outside as soon as i unplug the salamander like I have now...

#23 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,107 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted November 15, 2014 - 06:33 AM

Just a tip for you guys using unvented propane heaters inside your shop, the exhaust makes carbon monoxide , and we all know what that can do. I use wood, coal and a propane furnace. Noel.
  • larrybl, Cvans and Kmac1 have said thanks

#24 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted November 15, 2014 - 08:09 AM

When I first built my  28x28 pole barn/garage  it was wasn't insulated and cold ,my wife bought me a small Reddy Heater , the kind with a blower motor ,can't remember much except the motor burned out just a little over the years warranty  :mad2:  The price for the replacement was about $100 with shipping so because I'm cheap I waited  and waited and ,,,, Then we put and addition so instead of using T-111  we put insulation board over the existing pole barn on 3 sides , leaving it uninsulated towards the addition , then a friend gave me an old hot air oil fired furnace  so instead of using the money to fix the Ready -Heater used that towards the stainless piping and chimney .At that time I insulated the ceiling . I'm lucky that most of the time the  garage will stay about 20* f above outside temperatures (yesterday it was 39*f outside and 53*f inside )  , I can turn it on and it doesn't take long to get warm . But as winter sets in the concrete floor starts to stay colder that's when furnace  has to run longer .  But the biggest problem is once the floor gets cold it stays that way even with the furnace running , so I'll stand/kneel  on old pieces of carpet  anyway . If I ever replace this furnace I'll look for one that has the outlet at the bottom , blowing across the floor would be much better for me anyway  , mine comes out the top with it ducted towards the workbench and bays ,

• Cvans and Kmac1 have said thanks

#25 Traill95 OFFLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,566 Thanks
  • 915 posts

Posted November 15, 2014 - 08:17 AM

I have a ceiling hung 145 BTU natural gas and the shop is 28 x 32. It is a little bit of overkill in size gut was there when I bought the place. sometime in the future I hope to install a floor furnace with air conditioning. :D

• Kmac1 said thank you

#26 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,943 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted November 15, 2014 - 10:10 AM

I am using a combination of 18,000 propane heater and 12,000 electric. The electric blower vents to the outside, drawing fresh air in through the 1" gap in the rollup door (due to the dehumidifier function). I rarely run propane only any more, if so, I'll open a window slightly. I tend to run the electric more often when it is mild outside just to run the chill out, and use the propane to augment the electric on colder days. So far with the Texas cold snap I have been able to keep it around 75 or so (comfortable) with only running the propane on low or medium. I do run it on high (all 3 burners) when first warming the shop up from a chilly 32 this morning. I am now back to the low setting and it is staying.   

Attached Thumbnails

• P1110189.JPG
  • P1110190.JPG
  • P1110191.JPG
  • P1110192.JPG

• Alc and Kmac1 have said thanks

#27 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted November 15, 2014 - 10:15 AM

If the stove was built out of stainless and the flue was up to code, I cant see where the problem was. Sounds like the insurance company must have been doing the " paint by numbers" thing and nixed it because it didnt have a UL sticker. The production stuff probably isnt built any better than the barnyard stuff, they just payed an engineer alot of money to put his stamp on it.

Correct!!

• Kmac1 said thank you

#28 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted November 15, 2014 - 03:39 PM

I checked the garage temps today , this morning it was 28*f outside and 46*f inside  , it warmed up into the forties and sunny ,, the inside got to 48*f inside this afternoon . If I was going to work in there I would use the small 120 volt portable heater having it blow right where I would work. 

I'm lucky that most of the time the  garage will stay about 20* f above outside temperatures (yesterday it was 39*f outside and 53*f inside )

• Kmac1 said thank you

#29 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,943 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted November 15, 2014 - 06:07 PM

Weather bug says 42o and Shop is at 72o Only been running the electric today.

Edited by larrybl, November 15, 2014 - 06:07 PM.

• Kmac1 said thank you

#30 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 357 Thanks
  • 258 posts

Posted November 15, 2014 - 10:21 PM

I have a barrel wood stove one thing I did when first setting it up is build a heavy metal grate to hold the wood. I only have wood burning when out there working on something which seems to be most evenings. I have not had any issues with my insurance company it is an unattached garage, but have heard of several insurance companies not covering any garage having heat in it if there is anything that has gasoline in it being in that garage. Today I took some scrap metal to the place where I sell it & happen to find a barrel there. So now I have what I need to rebuild it in the near future. I have never bought any wood to burn as having a chain saw & truck I find plenty of free wood helping with clean up after storms or checking when I see a tree being taken down.

Charlie

• Cvans, propane1 and Kmac1 have said thanks