#1 Bobo OFFLINE  

Bobo

• Contributor
  • Member No: 159
  • 8 Thanks
  • 99 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 03:09 PM

Hello All,

Got my latest QT 17 in on the weekend. Very happy with the condition but both rear axle seals leak. Does anyone have a replacement seal for the 1185301 Bolens ? Has anyone replaced these seals before who can give me a heads up?

Cheers

#2 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted February 23, 2011 - 11:07 PM

We have the seals here if you need them.As for replacing them it is pretty easy.Just remove the hubs and brakes.Then pop out the old seal and a new one in.

#3 Bobo OFFLINE  

Bobo

• Contributor
  • 8 Thanks
  • 99 posts

Posted February 24, 2011 - 07:53 AM

Thanks BHTS but already ordered some SKF 12350. I will let you know how it goes once it warms enough to feel my fingers.

Cheers!

#4 Bobo OFFLINE  

Bobo

• Contributor
  • 8 Thanks
  • 99 posts

Posted May 09, 2011 - 10:30 AM

Another project going sideways! Managed to get the hubs off and they were on there good. Did not expect the woodruff keys to stop the project. They are not rusted at all but they refuse to move. I have penetrating fluid on them and have tapped them to beat the band but no luck. It is like they are part of the axle! Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

#5 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,297 Thanks
  • 2,331 posts

Posted May 09, 2011 - 12:34 PM

Chisel and a 3 pound sledge hammer.
Once you hit it once it will put a groove in the Key.After that Angle the chisel up away from the axle and give it a good whack.It should pop out with 1 or 2 good hits.
You can save the Woodruff key if you use a Dull chisel but woodruff keys are cheap to replace and the axle is not so don't beat down on the axle.

#6 Bobo OFFLINE  

Bobo

• Contributor
  • 8 Thanks
  • 99 posts

Posted May 10, 2011 - 08:54 AM

Hello again Eric!
I have been trying that with a big flat blade but I will grab an old chissel. Now, this is with the axles still in the tractor correct? I am hesitant on beating on the axles so as not to screw up the bearrings or the lock ring. Are you placing the chisel on the small outside edge where the wedge is smallest? Such as facing the side of the tractor and staying parallel with the key?

Many thanks!

#7 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,297 Thanks
  • 2,331 posts

Posted May 10, 2011 - 06:57 PM

Angle the DULL chisel Upwards.It will lift the Woodruff key out and minimize the chance of knocking something in the transaxle.

MS Paint kicks butt.

Attached Thumbnails

• Beat it.jpg

#8 Bobo OFFLINE  

Bobo

• Contributor
  • 8 Thanks
  • 99 posts

Posted May 11, 2011 - 09:26 AM

Hey Eric!

Thanks very much for the illustration. It answers a lot. Mine is not sitting like that at all. I was actually going to ask today if it was cup shaped or a wedge. Mine looks exectly like a wedge the way it is sitting. The place where I would put the chisel is almost level with the axle...maybe sitting 1/16 above the axle. The other end is sitting up about 1/4. I did some reading and tried freezing it, grabbing it with big wire snippers ...they grab really good to a point, vice grips and tapping. If I can find replacement woodruffs here, I may have to try a dremmel on it and cut it out. Man I need some positive mojo when it comes to Bolens.
Once again a really big thanks!
Bobo

#9 Bobo OFFLINE  

Bobo

• Contributor
  • 8 Thanks
  • 99 posts

Posted May 16, 2011 - 07:52 AM

Hi all,

I ended up cutting them out with a Dremmel. It took a lot of discs and it held on to the very end. Now I need to find a key that big! I made a jig to ram the seals home and no leaks so far. I did find however that the drive shaft ujoint gave up the ghost and ruined the housing from banging around. Does anyone have experience in pulling the drive shaft from the pump?

Have a great day!