Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone Have Experience With Pellet Stoves?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted November 14, 2014 - 09:20 PM

I have never had one but know folks that do. They swear by them.  we are using wood exclusively this year and I just picked up a used Vermont Castings Dutchwest 2460. I am not sure if it will be as easy to use as my little Jotul 602C. Now that is one beautiful small stove. I just wish it was a little larger. You can't buy firewood for it from any of the seemingly hundreds of firewood dealers in this area. You can tell them 8 times that the wood MUST be less than 16 inches or it won't fit in the stove. You can even tell them that if I need to re-cut it, I won't buy from them again.  Never fails, 60 % of the delivery is between 17 and 22 inches long and probably 50% is so large it wont fit through the stove door.  LOL

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#17 Tim Bergfeld OFFLINE  

Tim Bergfeld
  • Member No: 60783
  • 218 Thanks
  • 449 posts

Posted November 14, 2014 - 10:12 PM

I have a Quadra fire and love it. It shouldn't run you out as long as you have fans to circulate and a good thermostat and at sixty degs a bag in that size shop should a bag should last about 2.5 days or so. I pay 28 dollars a 55 gal drum for mine I know a guy who makes furniture and he has a press to make them

#18 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,319 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted November 14, 2014 - 10:38 PM

I looked into getting a press to make pellets. The cheaper stuff would take 2 hours a day running the press to keep up with the stove. I can cut alot of wood in 2 hours. 

I was thinking out side the box and wanted to try bean chaff and other bio mass. The price on wood pellets was real cheap 20 years ago. Now it has caught on, the price has really jumped up. 

A "grow your own" corn stove looks like the way to go.

#19 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 01:15 PM

Going to try it tonight.  I'll let you guys know how it works.

Should look nice.  Glass front, you can see the fire burning....need a bear skin rug in front of it.

• GTTinkerer and robert_p43 have said thanks

#20 Tim Bergfeld OFFLINE  

Tim Bergfeld
  • Member No: 60783
  • 218 Thanks
  • 449 posts

Posted November 20, 2014 - 10:13 AM

I know a good pellet press is about 10 grand

#21 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted November 20, 2014 - 10:34 AM

I got it installed last night instead of Tuesday night.  At first I was discouraged.  No prior knowledge of pellet stoves.  Filled it up, filled up the burn box thing, got it going, kicked on the feed, fire went out in about 5 minutes, no pellets.  Finally after much tinkering I realized the augur turns very little and nothing was coming out. 

Got the augur "primed" adjusted the intake air fan speed(was way too high and fire was consuming too fast), and pellet feed setting(set this to "zero" which basically is the factory setting), and it started putting out so much heat you couldn't hold your hand in front of the blower.  Warmed that little place right up!  Set it on 5 for about 30 minutes, dropped it to one, and it was puking out heat like you wouldn't believe.

I am impressed.  Ran it about 4 hours and I bet it used 3lbs of pellets maybe?

• Alc said thank you

#22 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted November 20, 2014 - 10:36 AM

Picture of it burning on 5.

20141119_190033.jpg

• Alc said thank you

#23 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 07:27 AM

Little update.

I ran it last night for the first "cold" night it was 30F outside.  Wind blowing pretty decent.  I found some air leaks, which is quite odd that they are coming from the bottom of the wall at the seam between the drywall and floor.  Time for some foam!

Anyway, I started it at 7.  Light the pellets with a small square of a fire starter.  Let those burn for about 10 minutes, hit the start button set it on mid(3).  Within 30 minutes it went from 50 to 80 in there.  Back it off to the lowest setting(1).  Kept it 75 in there all night.  Used a small fan to circulate it into the bedroom area. 

I'm not sure on pellet consumption, but I'd say I used about 10lbs of pellets during the night(10 hours).  The auger area is full, and better than half of the storage area is full.  Fuel consumption seems pretty low.  I might slow down the auger speed a little bit for now till we get some actual cold nights.  Seems like it only takes a very small fire to keep it blowing out heat.  Even on the lowest of low settings the darn thing would blow heat so hot you couldn't keep your hand in front of the blower for more than 10 seconds without it becoming very uncomfortable.

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#24 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

• 1,319 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 07:58 AM

I have a breckwell big E. On low (1) and high fan, it just makes a cold draft. I am having a hard time with the pellets (OHP) not burning or the coals blowing out of the hot box on low.

• Alc and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#25 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 08:28 AM

I have a breckwell big E. On low (1) and high fan, it just makes a cold draft. I am having a hard time with the pellets (OHP) not burning or the coals blowing out of the hot box on low.

I am in no way shape or form educated or trained to adjust pellet stoves.  But being the backwoods try to fix anything type I am I messed with this one a good bit.

The one I have has two adjustments on it.  Auger speed, and intake air. 

I played with the intake air a lot.  First plugged it in and fired it, I found that my pellets would burn up quicker than they fed, and the burning pellets would actually blow out of the tray.  I kept playing with the air until it calmed way down and I had a flame that burnt nice, and didn't dance around.  Now on 5 I have a flame that will just lick the top of the burn box, and on one I have a flame about 3" tall that is nice and steady, basically at one it just keeps the bottom of the box.

Is it adjusted correctly?  I don't know.  It works.  I brought my multigas detector from the mine to see if it would set off at any point for low o2 or high co.  And nothing, O2 stayed a nice steady 20% and no alarms.

The Keresone heater would set off the co on a low level alarm, never venturing into an unsafe level, but put off enough that it was present in the room.  O2 levels would dip a little, but not into the unsafe territory after burning for 8 hours.

• Alc said thank you

#26 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

• 1,319 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 09:54 AM

the big E is preset to run the auger 2 seconds out of a 15 second cycle on low (1-5 setting) but can be trimmed to 1.5 or 2.5.

#4 is 9 seconds/cycle and #5 is 12 seconds.

This last batch of OHP pellets dont seem to burn as good as they usually do. Im not sure if they were left overs from last year or they had gotten wet. some of the bags at the bottom of the pallet are hard on the ends. They are stored outside in a leanto at the farm store. I had a frequent flyer discount for $10 off a pallet. The next ton will be from Sutherlands. They have a pine pellet that burns hotter and cleaner than the OHPs and they keep them inside

#27 chuckerfarm2014 OFFLINE  

chuckerfarm2014
  • Member No: 62364
  • 27 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 04:20 PM

That why I burn a big wood stove. I had a pellet stove and went back to wood stove after 5 years. The wood stove I have has a blower on it and puts out a lot more heat than the pellet plus when power goes out its still going minus the blower. Plus I can cook on it. Also I cut and split all my own wood which is free. I will say that it will heat the whole house and doesn't need the blower.

#28 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 04:26 PM

That why I burn a big wood stove. I had a pellet stove and went back to wood stove after 5 years. The wood stove I have has a blower on it and puts out a lot more heat than the pellet plus when power goes out its still going minus the blower. Plus I can cook on it. Also I cut and split all my own wood which is free. I will say that it will heat the whole house and doesn't need the blower.

I can heat my whole house with my wood stove at my house when I am home.  My wife uses the oil furnace though.

I don't know if you read my whole post.  I am heating a 250sqft cabin.  The building itself isn't worth the cost of a new wood stove.  Chimney install is more expensive than the wood stove itself.  I got the pellet stove for free and it is working superb.

I am going to put a pellet stove in my living room.  Be a nice for a second source of heat upstairs. 

#29 chuckerfarm2014 OFFLINE  

chuckerfarm2014
  • Member No: 62364
  • 27 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 04:45 PM

I would never buy a new wood stove or the bull crap liner. Craigslist wood stove for me. My area has run out of pellets. Not for me . Never run out of wood. Time u buy pellets and the wood just puts more heat.

#30 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

• 1,319 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted December 03, 2014 - 08:03 AM

The going price for a cord of wood around here is about $200. A ton of pellets is $220 and lasts 30-45 days in the middle of the winter. I had an old wood furnace at a house I lived in once. Wood was close to the same price it is now. It would burn a cord in 10-15 days. Cheaper to buy propane!