4 replies to this topic

#1 shallowwatersailor OFFLINE  

shallowwatersailor

Tractorholic

• Member No: 812
  • 87 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted November 13, 2014 - 07:20 PM

While waiting for the paint to cure on the Chor Trac, I was looking on CL for my area and found a Montgomery Ward tiller for sale. I thought that might make a nice companion for my two MW walk behind tractors. Then I spotted this. Went out to look at it, struck a deal, and will bring it home Tuesday.

I appears to be complete and in fairly good shape. It has two flats which will probably be tubed, and the engine doesn't run. Hopefully work on the carb and ignition will be all it needs.

DSCN2842.JPG DSCN2844.JPG DSCN2845.JPG DSCN2846.JPG

• Gtractor, Alc, hamman and 2 others have said thanks

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted November 13, 2014 - 08:45 PM

I'd love to have one of those.  It was a machine based on my favorite Gravely but with more speeds.  Gravely lost a designer along the way who took the original design and improved it. 

My understanding is that all Gravely attachments do fit.

Ben W.

#3 shallowwatersailor OFFLINE  

shallowwatersailor

Tractorholic

• 87 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted November 13, 2014 - 08:56 PM

It will take the Gravely attachments. They even put studs in the top bolt holes from the factory to make attachments easier to hookup.

I'll post more pictures when I get it home and cleaned up.

• Alc said thank you

#4 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted November 13, 2014 - 11:03 PM

That looks to be in VERY good shape, and very interesting machine too.

#5 shallowwatersailor OFFLINE  

shallowwatersailor

Tractorholic

• 87 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted December 01, 2014 - 06:47 PM

Well, I finally picked up the UFT Mountaineer. The deal was actually made three weeks ago but weather, trips to the hospital (not me!), etc. prolonged the event.

This is an 88E with an electric start K-181S. The serial tag is missing but I dated the engine to 1980. It currently doesn't run plus has two flat tires. It made for an interesting move. The starting point had a forklift whereupon it slipped off and tumbled onto its side in the dirt. Didn't want to record that poo-poo, but there was no damage. Then when I got it to the house, I needed to utilize my 518xi with the HF crane to lift it out. (The tractor weighs 445 pounds so that speaks well for the hitch and adapter!) It actually went a lot better than I had expected on my end. I lowered it onto HF car dollies after lifting it out of the trailer until I can get to the tires. The weather also cooperated with 72 degrees on December 1st!

The tractor is in surprisingly good shape externally. The colors look like a Kubota-orange with medium dark metallic blue.  Hopefully it was something minor that sidelined it as parts for the tractor portion will be next to nil on availability. I never thought that I would see one due to being unique yet alone own one. It will probably be a project next year as there are three tractors ahead of it right now.

DSCN2858.JPG DSCN2860.JPG DSCN2862.JPG WP_20141201_0121.jpg DSCN2864.JPG DSCN2863.JPG

• Alc and VSTROM803 have said thanks