Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Couple Questions Now That I Caught The Bolens Bug!

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Matt21ss OFFLINE  

Matt21ss
  • Member No: 60529
  • 8 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted November 13, 2014 - 06:31 PM

I have been looking through these forums for the past 4 months and finally am going to write a post:

I am in the Navy (18 years so far) and am on a real shore duty. I have some time on my hands.

So I bought a G12 a couple months back. It came with a rototiller (18618) and a snow thrower (18538).

post-60529-0-18000400-1415921089.jpg     post-60529-0-40755700-1415920526.jpg

The bad was that it smoked a little and the belts jump when depressing the clutch/brake all the way.

I didn't think that $400 was too bad.  Took it home and found something to till.

post-60529-0-77672500-1415920706.jpg

The snow thrower doesn't have the lifting arm, but it spins free.

Found another deal for a G14 and H16 for $300.

post-60529-0-91617500-1415920472.jpg

Both turn over, but don't continue to run.  Gas was leaking from the carb bowl on the G14.

I was moving the tiller to weld a bracket back together and oil was leaking out of the shaft seal.

I read on another website that it was normal for it to happen (Is that right)??

Any and all information you may have is requested!!! I am not the most mechanically inclined person, so expect a ton more post about problems I am having!!!

How do I rotate the pictures as well???

Edited by KennyP, November 14, 2014 - 06:58 PM.
Rotate Pics

• tinbender7, Traill95, boyscout862 and 4 others have said thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted November 13, 2014 - 06:44 PM

Welcome to the Forum!

Were the pictures taken by a phone? If so I believe you need to hold the phone differently when taking them.

Parts are still available for these machines so if you have any questions let us know.

Sounds like you may be missing the belt guards or have improper/worn belts if they keep slipping off.

• Traill95, MyBolens1053, Matt21ss and 1 other said thanks

#3 Jack OFFLINE  

Jack
  • Member No: 9304
  • 1,127 Thanks
  • 771 posts

Posted November 13, 2014 - 06:50 PM

Welcome Matt21ss to our forum.  Cant help you much on the Bolens questions but I'm sure someone will be along in a few that can.    Now as for you pic problem just set your monitor on its side and problem solved.   :oh_shucks:

Jack..

#4 tinbender7 OFFLINE  

tinbender7

FORDoholic

• Member No: 5171
  • 1,113 Thanks
  • 784 posts

Posted November 13, 2014 - 07:04 PM

WELCOME!!

#5 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted November 13, 2014 - 07:40 PM

First of all,THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE,now welcome,you picked the best brand of tractor to get into,lots of parts still out there
  • WrenchinOnIt, MyBolens1053, Matt21ss and 1 other said thanks

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 13, 2014 - 07:58 PM

Welcome to GTtalk, thank you for your service. You definitely came to the right place for help with your Bolens tractor. Lots of knowledgeable folks here. Looks like you took the pics with a phone and depending which way you were holding the phone when they were taken and/or when they were uploaded the phone rotates them in weird ways. You could always just turn your monitor on it's side :D

• MyBolens1053, Matt21ss and chieffan have said thanks

#7 Little Irish Men OFFLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • Member No: 61934
  • 664 Thanks
  • 386 posts

Posted November 13, 2014 - 07:59 PM

Welcome  . and yes Thank You for your service and congrats on 18 years and maybe a good 20 . now you will fine the most info and the best people to ask question here . Belive me i drive them crazy with my silly and some times dumb @#$% questions . If it informations you went these are the people to ask. good luck on your project.

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted November 13, 2014 - 08:03 PM

Welcome to GTT. You have come to the right place. There are quite a few vets on here. I'm in CT also, about 25 miles north of NLON.

First the Bolens are great tractors. They are built real tough and strong. In eastern CT they were very popular and there are plenty of them around. Be selective about what you buy and what you pay. Next summer there will be a bunch of shows and swap meets to enjoy. In the mean time read up on the engines and the tractors.

We have a great resource in our Manuals section where you can download 3 manuals for free per day. Some of the older B&S manuals have excellant troubleshooting guides. The other NLON resource that may still be available(its been 30 years since I left there) is adult education in the evening. There used to be a small engine course. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, November 14, 2014 - 06:05 AM.

#9 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted November 13, 2014 - 08:34 PM

Welcome, glad you joined!  Thank you for your service!

The G14 would have used a Briggs engine if it is still original.  Most likely the bowl is full of junk and never allows the carburetor to stop the flow of gas.  I do carry carburetor repair kits if you need them. 

Ben W.

#10 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted November 13, 2014 - 09:05 PM

I have been looking through these forums for the past 4 months and finally am going to write a post:

I am in the Navy (18 years so far) and am on a real shore duty. I have some time on my hands.

So I bought a G12 a couple months back. It came with a rototiller (18618) and a snow thrower (18538).

attachicon.gifIMG_0402.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0410.JPG

The bad was that it smoked a little and the belts jump when depressing the clutch/brake all the way.

I didn't think that $400 was too bad.  Took it home and found something to till.

attachicon.gifIMG_0403.JPG

The snow thrower doesn't have the lifting arm, but it spins free.

Found another deal for a G14 and H16 for $300.

attachicon.gifIMG_0724.JPG

Both turn over, but don't continue to run.  Gas was leaking from the carb bowl on the G14.

I was moving the tiller to weld a bracket back together and oil was leaking out of the shaft seal.

I read on another website that it was normal for it to happen (Is that right)??

Any and all information you may have is requested!!! I am not the most mechanically inclined person, so expect a ton more post about problems I am having!!!

How do I rotate the pictures as well???

Thank you for your service in defending our Constitution and our Rights, my fellow serviceman and welcome to the elite group of Bolens owners. Best damn tractors in my opinion.

Most posts above have addressed most of your questions so I'll move to the ones that haven't been addressed.

The missing lift arm to your snow-caster can be bought or you can use a chain until you get a lift arm.

For the leaking tiller. Get that fixed. You don't want gear oil dripping in your soil and ruining your garden. Seals are available.

As mentioned earlier, you can download manuals for the equipment you have and parts listings to give you part numbers you need.

Good luck and see you around in the forums.

• boyscout862, Matt21ss and chieffan have said thanks

#11 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted November 13, 2014 - 09:30 PM

Once again thanks so much for your service & congratulations on eighteen years. Sounds like you found the Bolens mother load. I have a H16 & love it. It sounds like you need to check your carb like mentioned. Any seal that leaks needs fixed. Keep us posted & welcome to the best GT forum out there.

#12 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted November 14, 2014 - 09:03 AM

I just remembered a little advice I give beginners. Pick up a freebie lawnmower and learn the basics on it so that you are not risking your good tractor nor your money. Then try a freebie lawn tractor. After learning from it you will be better ready to tackle your garden tractors. Tools and a few parts are available at indoor fleamarkets that are all over the area. Watch the prices, sometimes they are charging more than a new one at Sears. Prices should be 1/4 of new or less. I've gotten $200 tools for $25 but, I knew what they were and their value. Good Luck, Rick

• Matt21ss said thank you

#13 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,118 posts

Posted November 14, 2014 - 06:21 PM

Welcome and thank you for your service.

The tiller should not leak and may be in need of a new seal not a big problem to change. The Tecumseh motor in the G14 may just need a new bowl gasket or the seal washer on the bottom of the carb at the bowl screw. It would be a ideal since you are there to check the float setting and also give the carb a good cleaning.

We are a Tecumseh dealer and if you need any parts for the motor or the tractor just send a pm with what you need or give us a call.

• MyBolens1053 and Matt21ss have said thanks

#14 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,118 posts

Posted November 14, 2014 - 06:24 PM

Welcome, glad you joined!  Thank you for your service!

The G14 would have used a Briggs engine if it is still original.  Most likely the bowl is full of junk and never allows the carburetor to stop the flow of gas.  I do carry carburetor repair kits if you need them. 

Ben W.

Ben, The G14 would have came with a Tecumseh OH140 when new. :poke:

• superaben, Sawdust, MyBolens1053 and 1 other said thanks

#15 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted November 14, 2014 - 06:39 PM

Ben, The G14 would have came with a Tecumseh OH140 when new. :poke:

I'm glad you said that.  I was thinking about the G11.  :wave: