daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted November 13, 2014 - 04:32 PM

I'm off today and the forecast said snow was coming this evening and going to accumulate overnight.  I decided to put the snows on the truck.  

I just looked outside and it's sticking.  I guess the forecast was right.  At least I accomplished something today.

20141113_131004.jpg 20141113_131010.jpg

• rustyoldjunk, MH81, Alc and 4 others have said thanks

#2 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 934 posts

Posted November 13, 2014 - 04:44 PM

looks like we are gonna get some on sat. I still need to put the snow blade on the prowler, pick out a gt to put in the back of the 2wd truck for weight, find some rear weight for the ford 3000 w/ loader, rearrange the shop, stock up on pellets. All before it gets dark on friday. expected high for friday is 28.

• rustyoldjunk, daytime dave and propane1 have said thanks

#3 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted November 13, 2014 - 05:56 PM

The lawns are white here, but not the roads. Yet.
  • rustyoldjunk, daytime dave and propane1 have said thanks

#4 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted November 13, 2014 - 06:10 PM

Dave do most people in your area use studded tires ?
  • rustyoldjunk and daytime dave have said thanks

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 13, 2014 - 08:06 PM

The ground is white due to a little snow squall that started after I came to the house around 3:30.  I had moved some things out of the garage so I had room for my Ford 1500.  I have no electricity in the tractor shed and it being diesel I like it close to power, so I do not have to string drop cords.

Temp high was 28 degrees, It is suppose to hit about 34 tomorrow so I  will put the  chains on and mount the rear blade tomorrow.

They are predicting from 1.5-3 inches starting around 10 am and running through around 2 am Sunday. May not even plow it, having around 3/8 mile of gravel I like to get a good pack froze down so I am not pushing all the gravel off.

• daytime dave and propane1 have said thanks

#6 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted November 13, 2014 - 08:35 PM

Dave do most people in your area use studded tires ?

No Al, most people don't.  They seem to think that all season tires will be fine.  This is the only season that they do not work.

My father used studded tires on all our two wheel drive cars when I grew up.  His truck was only two wheel drive as well.  I remember pulling studs out of the tires in the spring with needle nosed pliers.  I believe in studded snows and paid the extra for them.  My 4x4 rarely has to go into 4wd.

• Alc said thank you

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 14, 2014 - 12:16 AM

No Al, most people don't.  They seem to think that all season tires will be fine.  This is the only season that they do not work.

My father used studded tires on all our two wheel drive cars when I grew up.  His truck was only two wheel drive as well.  I remember pulling studs out of the tires in the spring with needle nosed pliers.  I believe in studded snows and paid the extra for them.  My 4x4 rarely has to go into 4wd.

Yeah I rarely see anyone running studs here anymore.  Before front wheel drive, 4X4"s and all weather radials became common everybody ran them.

There are times when I believe they would be useful. If I remember right they can not be on before Nov. 15 and must be off by April 1st in Iowa.

before and after those dates are when freezing rain is most likely and studs would be most helpful?

• daytime dave and Alc have said thanks