29 replies to this topic

#1 MrMarty51 OFFLINE  

MrMarty51
  • Member No: 62893
  • 141 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted November 13, 2014 - 11:46 AM

IMG_0729.jpg

And Yes, It did set outside for YEARS, without any sort of a cover before I came in posession of it.

YUP, You got it, I use the old round wash tub to cover it with.

I seen this tiller setting in front of a garage, across the lane from My Cousins house in Huntley Montana.

One day I told My cousin that if I ever was able to see anyone outside of that house that I was going to ask if they would sell that old tiller. My cousin said If He seen anyone over there that HBe would ask them for Me.

After several months, My cousin calls and asks how much was I willing to go on that tiller. I told Him about a hundred and fifty bucks. He told Me that He had picked it up for seventy five. WOOOOHOOOOO

After I got it home, it was the usual maintenance type of stuff. flush the fuel tank, replace the fuel hose, clean and kit the carb of that Kohler cast iron beast of a 7 Horse power.

Drained the fluids, removed the top cover from the transhmixer and flushed it all out real good. Replaced the axle seals and adjusted the shimming of the shafts. clean and lube and lube and clean.

Installed the carbeurator, filled it with fuel, about a 1/4 tank any way, wrapped the rope arounf the starter pulley, nothing, another try, nothing, another try, nothing and away I pulled with the same results. OK, time to check out a ferw things.

Ended by replacing the points, magneto, sparking plug and condensor.

Wrapped the rope, pulled, nothing, wrapped the rope and pulled, a puff of smoke and a chug, another try and, it was running. made the necessary adjustments and set the governor.

Starts by the third pull every time, puffs some smoke under load. Have not had a use for it yet, bnut, ow that I have a tiller, is it absolutely necessar that I plant a garden ? full of twomaters and cucumbers and cabbages and lettuce and green beans, swiss chard, punkins and squashes toooh ?

Now, thinking about it, breakfast must be in order, thinking about all that fresh food brought that on. :wallbanging:  :rolling:  :D

OH, I forgot, the tiller is from about 1972 or so.

Edited by MrMarty51, November 13, 2014 - 11:47 AM.

• earthgrinder, Gtractor, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and 1 other said thanks

#2 MrMarty51 OFFLINE  

MrMarty51
  • 141 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted November 13, 2014 - 11:50 AM

Thinking about it.

I might have to rig Me up a three point system on the back og that White Garden tractor/mower and then sort of strip down that Troy-Bilt and adapt it to operate behind the tractor.

Mow and till in one pass. :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

• KennyP said thank you

#3 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted November 13, 2014 - 12:13 PM

Nice grab for $75, those go for $4-600 in my area. I have a 76 model 6Hp Tecumseh, I use it to finish till garden after plowing then throw the dirt blade on it and use it in the winter for snow removal.

If it is truly stock, it cannot be a 1972 model. Garden Way did not start using the Kohler 7 Hp until March of 1978.

Post the numbers stamped on top of the trans housing above the axle, I can run the numbers for you, tell you month/year made.

• superaben and MrMarty51 have said thanks

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 13, 2014 - 02:47 PM

Nice score. Great machines. Great deal.  I got a Jr model, which is the smallest one they made, at a yard sale a couple of years ago. Payed 40 for it. No air cleaner with it. Spent about 150 on it to get a new air cleaner, change fluids, tune up etc. It had been sitting for a long time and the tynes still had paint on them. Very low hours. After using a rear tyne tiller I couldn't go back to the front tyne type. They really do a great job and the Jr is the right size for my small gardens.

• MrMarty51 said thank you

#5 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,308 Thanks
  • 979 posts

Posted November 13, 2014 - 03:37 PM

I have a horse about '86 model. The old briggs was awfully tired when I got it  so repowered w/ a HF 6 1/2HP and it has worked great for several yrs.

Mike

#6 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 925 Thanks
  • 1,216 posts

Posted November 13, 2014 - 04:04 PM

Nice find a have a Gardenway Pony and a Horse tiller very well built machines. The Pony has a Briggs and Stratton engine. The Horse model has a K181 Kohler 8HP

#7 Lauber1 ONLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted November 13, 2014 - 05:44 PM

I would define a walk-behind as any tractor that has handles to control it, and uses one or two driven wheels, so your tiller is technically a walk-behind. Europe is full of machines that not only till, but can pull a plow, disc or other attachment.

#8 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted November 13, 2014 - 05:44 PM

Nice deal for $75

#9 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted November 13, 2014 - 06:31 PM

Nice find a have a Gardenway Pony and a Horse tiller very well built machines. The Pony has a Briggs and Stratton engine. The Horse model has a K181 Kohler 8HP

Horse I's started out with a 4.5 Hp in62, then 6 HP Tecumseh in 67. 1978, Horse I's stopped production, Horse II's made and they began getting a 7 Hp Kohler along with the 6 Hp Tec

in 1982, Horse III began with the PTO tine clutch models and they offered a 6 Hp Tec, 7 Hp Kohler, and an 8 Hp Briggs. They also offered some 8 HP kohler in the mid 80's sometime, but not sure what years. 

• jms180 and MrMarty51 have said thanks

#10 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 925 Thanks
  • 1,216 posts

Posted November 13, 2014 - 07:38 PM

Horse I's started out with a 4.5 Hp in62, then 6 HP Tecumseh in 67. 1978, Horse I's stopped production, Horse II's made and they began getting a 7 Hp Kohler along with the 6 Hp Tec

in 1982, Horse III began with the PTO tine clutch models and they offered a 6 Hp Tec, 7 Hp Kohler, and an 8 Hp Briggs. They also offered some 8 HP kohler in the mid 80's sometime, but not sure what years. 

Thanks TAHOE good info. The engine specs are Model K181T spec 301018 serial 14203294. would be nice to know the year tiller was made.

#11 MrMarty51 OFFLINE  

MrMarty51
  • 141 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted November 13, 2014 - 11:11 PM

Might be above zero tomorrow, I`ll then get them numbers and postum up.

• jms180 said thank you

#12 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted November 14, 2014 - 08:38 AM

Thanks TAHOE good info. The engine specs are Model K181T spec 301018 serial 14203294. would be nice to know the year tiller was made.

I can't help ya with the Kohler engine numbers.

Give me those numbers stamped in the top of the tranny housing and I can tell ya month/year. Standing behind tiller, they are on the right side, flat spot on top above axle next to where handle bars attach. Most likely 6 or 7 #'s stamped in there.

Edited by TAHOE, November 14, 2014 - 08:42 AM.

#13 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 925 Thanks
  • 1,216 posts

Posted November 14, 2014 - 09:26 AM

I can't help ya with the Kohler engine numbers.

Give me those numbers stamped in the top of the tranny housing and I can tell ya month/year. Standing behind tiller, they are on the right side, flat spot on top above axle next to where handle bars attach. Most likely 6 or 7 #'s stamped in there.

Thanks I will get the numbers sometime today dang cold go out now.

#14 Arny6833 OFFLINE  

Arny6833
  • Member No: 63285
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted November 14, 2014 - 02:52 PM

I usually Walk Behind " A Woman " !

#15 MrMarty51 OFFLINE  

MrMarty51
  • 141 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted November 15, 2014 - 12:23 PM

Poking around on the work-bench, trying to find the scrap{s} of paper I had the tillers information wrote upon.

I am trying every thing to avoid having to go through the snow and cold to get them numbers.

I hadum, whad I do withum ? ? ?