Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Where In The Bolens "frame" World Does The Duratrac Line Fit?

tube frame duratrac large frame medium frame

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ram41662 OFFLINE  

ram41662
  • Member No: 62945
  • 8 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted November 12, 2014 - 11:07 PM

I'm a bit confused, so can someone set me straight? With all the threads mentioning things like "large frame", where does the DuraTrac line fit? Or is that an " apple to oranges" thing?
  • blackjackjakexxix and chieffan have said thanks

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,682 Thanks
  • 8,882 posts

Posted November 12, 2014 - 11:10 PM

After.
  • Deerlope and chieffan have said thanks

#3 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,635 Thanks
  • 1,325 posts

Posted November 12, 2014 - 11:30 PM

I think they call them a stamped frame. Not positive on that though.

#4 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,179 Thanks
  • 5,205 posts

Posted November 12, 2014 - 11:58 PM

Mid frames.

• Deerlope, rustyoldjunk and ram41662 have said thanks

#5 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,344 Thanks
  • 1,753 posts

Posted November 13, 2014 - 12:08 AM

Very nice tractors,very smooth running machines,I have one and the cut on them is very nice,the only problem I ever saw was when they offered the 60" deck,I just think a little to much deck for the electric pto to run,I have heard of guys having problems with them getting to hot and frying the coil,,mine has the 48" deck and so far I very happy with it
  • Deerlope, Alc, ram41662 and 1 other said thanks

#6 Deerlope ONLINE  

Deerlope

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 98
  • 375 Thanks
  • 310 posts

Posted November 13, 2014 - 07:18 AM

I have one in a diesel and it is a sweet machine to use for any task.

• Alc, blackjackjakexxix and wurzel have said thanks

#7 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,514 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted November 13, 2014 - 08:49 AM

Nice tractors, medium frame, larger than a tube frame , smaller than a large frame, they where offered with the full line of attachments, tillers, single & 2 stage sno-casters, 54" power & manual angle blades, hard cab , soft cab, FEL, etc. Bought one new in '92 still own. Faults (IMO): Kolher magnum engine, some of early models had govenor gear failure ( out through the side of the aluminum block it would come, ignition module ( magneto etc) failure ,PIA to change sits on the flywheel under all that shrouding,you have to pull engine to get to. Electric PTO clutch coil prone to failure, engine heat takes its toll. Mine burnt up under 100 hrs and was changed at dealership. It burnt another one at close to 200 hrs. I changed out that whole clutch assembly. Got rid of the 60" deck got a NOS 48 and have been good since. They MSRP'd at the time over $6000. The Eaton rear end had a lifetime warranty ( still have my certificate ). They are good units all in all, implements a little harder to find. But IMO the Kolher Large Frames are still the King.
  • Deerlope, blackjackjakexxix, chieffan and 3 others have said thanks

#8 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted November 13, 2014 - 10:18 AM

I can attest that the 48" decks also fry the pto coils.....

#9 ram41662 OFFLINE  

ram41662
  • Member No: 62945
  • 8 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted November 13, 2014 - 07:13 PM

Dang...this is great info! Thank you all.
  • chieffan said thank you

#10 bolex OFFLINE  

bolex
  • Member No: 9864
  • 123 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted November 20, 2014 - 07:16 PM

i got mine for a 100 bucks with a rod through both sides of the block the only usable parts on the engine was the carb and intake , some day i will find an engine for it but i want to use my old ones that don't break down even after 40 years of use by po's and I

#11 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,514 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted November 28, 2014 - 09:06 PM

Nice tractors, medium frame, larger than a tube frame , smaller than a large frame, they where offered with the full line of attachments, tillers, single & 2 stage sno-casters, 54" power & manual angle blades, hard cab , soft cab, FEL, etc. Bought one new in '92 still own. Faults (IMO): Kolher magnum engine, some of early models had govenor gear failure ( out through the side of the aluminum block it would come, ignition module ( magneto etc) failure ,PIA to change sits on the flywheel under all that shrouding,you have to pull engine to get to. Electric PTO clutch coil prone to failure, engine heat takes its toll. Mine burnt up under 100 hrs and was changed at dealership. It burnt another one at close to 200 hrs. I changed out that whole clutch assembly. Got rid of the 60" deck got a NOS 48 and have been good since. They MSRP'd at the time over $6000. The Eaton rear end had a lifetime warranty ( still have my certificate ). They are good units all in all, implements a little harder to find. But IMO the Kolher Large Frames are still the King.

And here it is, 400 + hrs , don't use it much anymore bought a zero turn, that GRS is unbelievable how it totally chops the grass up 

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_4951.jpg
  • 100_4960.jpg
  • 100_4961.jpg
  • 100_4957.jpg

• Bolens 1000, blackjackjakexxix and Paulgo have said thanks

#12 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted November 29, 2014 - 10:42 AM

Wow!

That machine looks brand new still!

I cant believe the GRS system didnt catch on as it probably still is one of the best mulching units ever designed. I have a dealer instruction video on how to install and sell the GRS system so if you need any tips on it I'm "Certified" :D

• WrenchinOnIt said thank you

#13 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,344 Thanks
  • 1,753 posts

Posted November 29, 2014 - 12:35 PM

If anyone is looking for one of those GRS systems let me know I have one brand new,they are amazing
  • WrenchinOnIt and wurzel have said thanks

#14 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,514 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted November 29, 2014 - 12:50 PM

Wow!
That machine looks brand new still!
I cant believe the GRS system didnt catch on as it probably still is one of the best mulching units ever designed. I have a dealer instruction video on how to install and sell the GRS system so if you need any tips on it I'm "Certified" :D

Thanks, this was actually a 60" deck machine, I hated that deck for a bunch of different reasons, but in fairness my "yard" is rough. Funny thing bout the GRS is I just put it on it last year. 21 yrs later and it came from the same dealership as the tractor via Rick Show, they are amazing , instructions suck, ( could of used your video), also if you have a late model 48" deck regardless of what it says it won't fit because they went to non-greasable spindles and you need the top threaded ones to mount it, I know, I had to switch out which meant blades as well

#15 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted November 29, 2014 - 04:22 PM

Thanks, this was actually a 60" deck machine, I hated that deck for a bunch of different reasons, but in fairness my "yard" is rough. Funny thing bout the GRS is I just put it on it last year. 21 yrs later and it came from the same dealership as the tractor via Rick Show, they are amazing , instructions suck, ( could of used your video), also if you have a late model 48" deck regardless of what it says it won't fit because they went to non-greasable spindles and you need the top threaded ones to mount it, I know, I had to switch out which meant blades as well

yeah, there was quite a few variations on parts needed to adapt to certain models. I believe there were spindle and pulley kits for some models. Lots of different blade combos as well depending on machine type or deck size.

• WrenchinOnIt said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tube frame, duratrac, large frame, medium frame