• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 york0060 OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 748
  • 275 Thanks
  • 141 posts

Posted November 13, 2014 - 09:43 AM

I use Ags with Chains, i also have two sets of wheel weights and a lead wieght i hang on the tractor. i use the tractor for pushing snow. It seem to work pretty good for me.

Attached Thumbnails

• 318 chains.jpg
  • 318 chains 2.jpg
  • jd3pt.jpg

• propane1 said thank you

#17 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,341 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted November 13, 2014 - 04:36 PM

I use Ags with Chains, i also have two sets of wheel weights and a lead wieght i hang on the tractor. i use the tractor for pushing snow. It seem to work pretty good for me.

Dad's 318 with the 54" blade has always been equipped like your setup with the exception of NO weights on it.  Ag's with 2 link chains and it never let him down while he used it.  Nowadays though he uses a skid steer with a heated cab to plow snow.  That has chains on the rear axle to plow with as well.  On my 100 with the blade I run ag's with chains and 312 pounds of weight on it.  It will go almost anywhere I point as long as the snow isn't too deep.  On my 107 with the snow thrower I run Chen Shin Jumbo lug ag's with 80 pound wheel weights on each side and NO chains.  It pretty much goes wherever I want it too as well within reason.  I have yet too get it stuck and last year's snowfalls were a definite test for it.

Here's a picture of my tire and weight setup on the 107 as it's used year round.

Attached Thumbnails

• 107 plowing.jpg

#18 shorty ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,321 Thanks
  • 3,744 posts

Posted November 13, 2014 - 04:58 PM

I have been running turfs with chains with decent traction. One thing that I am curious about, would a narrower tire increase traction. Having the same weight and chains, would it make a noticable difference. Theoreticly, it should increase the the weight on the tire's footprint. But would it be worthwhile to try?

#19 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,418 Thanks
  • 4,614 posts

Posted November 14, 2014 - 12:14 AM

Narrower tires will 'dig down' give you better traction.

Also running a higher tire pressure will help as well since that will also decrease the footprint.

• shorty said thank you

#20 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,399 Thanks
  • 1,863 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 08:02 PM

used to use turfs with calcium in them plus cast iron weights  in the winter for snow blowing with my old Sears Suburbans; still worthless til I put the chains on.  My neighbor used to run circles around me with his FF and ags. as I remember he ran the ags backwards.

I will try the ags this year with a plow on the Ariens if I can ever get all the pieces still needed to have a complete rig... watching Ebay on a few sales for some of them, hoping Farm and Fleet has the front tires I need on sale, come black Friday.   16-6.50X8  I want the 4 plys.

Edited by dodge trucker, November 17, 2014 - 08:03 PM.

#21 PaulL OFFLINE  

• Member No: 49081
  • 99 Thanks
  • 63 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 02:36 AM

I have run ags with chains on my Gravely C8 walk behind with a snow blower attachment.  I have run ags with chains or dual ags with chains on my Gravely C8 and L walk behinds with a 48"X20" dozer blade.  This year I am trying turfs with chains for the C8 with the dozer blade.  The chains went on the turfs a whole lot easier than putting them on the ags.

#22 Jazz OFFLINE  

• Member No: 62028
  • 1,354 Thanks
  • 889 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 11:38 AM

this one looks like rope instead of chain...budget traction? I saw it for sale,,transaxle is shot but everything else is good. I may go take a  look at it when I get back to home in a few days

• $_20.JPG

Edited by Jazz, November 18, 2014 - 11:40 AM.