• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hafazzal OFFLINE  

hafazzal

• Member No: 2102
  • 0 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 01:02 PM

Does anyone out there know how many hp electric motor it would take to replace an 5hp b&s gas engine. Engine drives the hydro-pump on a wood splitter .

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 01:10 PM

Since its a log splitter I am going to assume you want to use a 120v AC motor to plug in and run. The hydraulic pump should have a gpm rating and once you have that you can look up "electric hp gpm chart" to see determine the hp required for your pump. Here is a chart, but can't verify it as electric hp. You're best bet would be to get a electric over hydraulic pump already set up and replace the unit.
http://www.womackmac...65/10p376-7.pdf

#3 hafazzal OFFLINE  

hafazzal

• Member No: 2102
  • 0 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 01:15 PM

Thanks,
yes, 120 volts. Engine runs, but bothers neihbors LOL. Otherwise rig does a good job. I will use your info to research.

#4 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 01:21 PM

Oh, well if its a neighbor issue just run it while they are asleep lol. :D

Or at least when the majority are at work. Or put a huge muffler on the engine, it will be cheaper, others have done this with generators. I hear stock motorcycle mufflers do a great job droning out the ound of a small gas engine and stock mufflers are easy to get on ebay.

#5 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted February 23, 2011 - 12:19 PM

Thanks,
yes, 120 volts. Engine runs, but bothers neihbors LOL. Otherwise rig does a good job. I will use your info to research.

There's a woman not to far from here who liked to complain about my dogs when I made noise. She'd call animal services and say they were barking, even though they weren't. Her real complaint was the noise from my saws etc., which there's no bylaw against. One day she complained and the animal services guy came to give me a warning. My wife had taken the dogs to her mom's cottage for the week. I explained the situation to the animal services guy. He laughed his butt off. Haven't had a complaint since.

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted February 23, 2011 - 02:43 PM

I thought I posted in this thread, but don't see it. You would do fine with a high quality 2hp heavy frame electric motor. NOT one of the small ones that claim large numbers like on home air compressors & the like.