#16 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted November 12, 2014 - 10:16 AM

I helped an edlerly widow clean up her property before the city fined her, told her I would store some of her late husband's "toys" i.e. Wizard 2 wheeler, Devere  mower, etc, until she decided what to do with them. It's been close to 3 years and haven't heard a thing from her. Her son wanted some of them, but he lives in Philly and never came to get them.

Wondering when I can sell them myself to get rid of them .

• BTS said thank you

#17 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted November 12, 2014 - 11:20 AM

This is a good reminder to those selling and buying , a sales agreement should be signed of some type , like if there's a deposit , how long before forfeited , and this , how long will an item be kept when it's paid in full . There is a cost involved in either case holding and storing something .
  • superaben and BTS have said thanks

#18 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted November 12, 2014 - 11:13 PM

If you sell the tractor to someone else you could set aside what the 1st guy gave you for a deposit in case he turns up, at least he can get his money back.  Much easier to store money than an Oliver tractor, especially with winter coming. 

• A.C.T. and BTS have said thanks

#19 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted November 12, 2014 - 11:32 PM

If you sell the tractor to someone else you could set aside what the 1st guy gave you for a deposit in case he turns up, at least he can get his money back.  Much easier to store money than an Oliver tractor, especially with winter coming. 

This is what I would do. If he does surface, money should be returned.

• BTS said thank you

#20 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted November 12, 2014 - 11:54 PM

Did you try people finder? They have a look up by phone option, you may be able to find the guys name that way. Shot in the dark, but what the heck. Worth a shot.

• BTS said thank you

#21 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 13, 2014 - 12:00 AM

I sold a truck a few years ago and I had an extra bed to go with it that would not be included in my low number. The guy understood and beat me down on the condition of the truck after a test drive until I caved and included the bed at my low number. So the truck was sold (friend did the transaction on my behalf) and the bed was to be picked up. Well, I never heard from the guy for like four or five months. I thought since he beat me down on the phone for 20 minutes he would collect it quickly. One day my friend called and told me he ran across the guy and that the guy claimed he lost my number, yet he knew where to find my friend. My friend said he told the guy stuff doesn't last long at my place (obvious lie lol). So about half hour later that guy called me, wanting to collect the bed that evening. I told him I was working and would not be home until 6 pm (this time of year so would be dark by then) and that he could come get it but he would have to bring "all he needed to load the bed himself, as I did not want to handle it." So he asked how many men it takes to pick up the bed and move it, in which I answered 3 minimum, four would be best. Now for the best part, you guys will appreciate this. He gets here in the truck I sold him and the doors open and he and his roughly 12 year old son step out of the truck, that is all he brought to load with.... Needless to say I was very irritated with this. But dad and I helped lift it and stick it on his 6.5 wide angle iron trailer and he threw one 4 inch wide strap over it and cranked it down loosely and said "that will hold it". As he drove away I looked at dad and said that the bed would be so beat up by the trailer and the strap that it will be junk after the guys hour drive... And I coulda got the same 50 bucks he would get out of it himself when it ends up scrapped....

Sorry to rant, I got on a pretty tall soap box there. But I had this issue, how long before selling something not in the bill of sale.... Never thought it would be a problem, like you, until it was....

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, November 13, 2014 - 12:03 AM.

• olcowhand, Alc and BTS have said thanks

#22 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted November 13, 2014 - 12:05 AM

Some due diligence is in order . An exchange of sorts did occur .

A little different scenario happened with me approx. 30 years ago . I bought a corn sheller for 300 and the seller accepted a check . After 90 days it still had not been cashed . I had their phone number and so I called - they had lost the check and did not have my contact info . I mailed them a new one - they were grateful .
  • olcowhand and BTS have said thanks

#23 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,712 Thanks
  • 1,721 posts

Posted November 13, 2014 - 12:15 AM

Thanks for everyone's info, I haven't heard from him yet, I will keep emailing him until I can get a hold of him. He paid me the full $1800 so this isn't just a down payment. I never thought this would be a problem, I wish I had enough money to buy something for this much and then never bothering to pick it up lol.

• olcowhand, Alc and Sparky have said thanks

#24 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted November 13, 2014 - 10:01 AM

Whenever I sell something with a deposit or a "I will pick it up later" I always let them know that after a certain time the payment is forfeited and the item is up for sale again. I save all emails and texts just in case.

• BTS said thank you

#25 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,712 Thanks
  • 1,721 posts

Posted November 14, 2014 - 11:52 AM

I need to start doing that I guess, quite honestly I never thought this would be a problem.

I emailed him again yesterday and still haven't heard anything back yet. :oh_shucks: :ah_shoot: