#1 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,734 Thanks
  • 1,728 posts

Posted November 11, 2014 - 10:19 PM

Ok, I have a Oliver 70 tractor, I sold it around the first of August, the buyer is from Nebraska, he bought it sight unseen and mailed me the check. He said he will be down in 3 weeks (when the check clears) to get it. I emailed him when I got the check and told him. He said he will call in 3 weeks to set up a day and time to pick it up. Well..... That was 4 months ago and I haven't heard anything from him??? I emailed him a couple days ago, I don't have his phone number nor do I know his name.I haven't heard anything back yet, he has my email, phone number, name and address. I am getting tired of always airing up the tires (couple have slow leaks) and starting it off and on to keep it running. Today it was freezing cold (30deg) with high winds and I was out there draining out the water and added antifreeze (cost me around $25+). Then I had to get it running (with crank handle only) but luckily the old tractor starts fairly easy with the crank in the cold weather.

Anyway my point is how long do I need to wait before I resell it, I'm going to wait a little while for him to email back but if he never does? then what???.

Anyone have anything like this happen to them? any ideas???

#2 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted November 11, 2014 - 10:23 PM

4 months is a long time considering no connection has been made, I would hold on to the money and resell the tractor.

Hopefully you can contact the buyer and return the money.

• BTS said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted November 11, 2014 - 10:28 PM

Your bank should have a picture of the check on file. Getting it may be harder than Eastern Algebra, but then you'd have name & address.
  • rustyoldjunk, Trav1s, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and 1 other said thanks

#4 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,734 Thanks
  • 1,728 posts

Posted November 11, 2014 - 10:29 PM

That's what I'm thinking, when it comes to a refund, the money was spent as soon as the check cleared :D (was broke and needed things paid off) :angel:

#5 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,734 Thanks
  • 1,728 posts

Posted November 11, 2014 - 10:30 PM

Your bank should have a picture of the check on file. Getting it may be harder than Eastern Algebra, but then you'd have name & address.

I haven't thought of that, I'll look into it.

• rustyoldjunk and MH81 have said thanks

#6 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted November 11, 2014 - 10:45 PM

before you go off and do something rash, please consider that something might have happened to your buyer, sickness, employment, or he could have passed on. Since they sent  you a good check with no problem, I would give them the benefit of the doubt that something has gone amiss with them.

• NUTNDUN, rustyoldjunk, Gtractor and 7 others have said thanks

#7 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted November 11, 2014 - 10:57 PM

Generally it's been my experience that some one who puts down cash for something, and doesn't pick it up probably ran into an issue.

Without contact info, It's a tough call.

Could be an angry wife, broke down vehicle or simply can't find a way to get it picked up.

I'd post an ad in the same forum that he bought it from, on the hopes that he sees it.

Other than that, pack it up as best you can for storage, and stuff it in a corner for a while.

Since technically, he owns it, he owes you for storage, but trying to collect that might be a hard one.

• BTS said thank you

#8 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted November 11, 2014 - 10:59 PM

Well.

Funny you would ask.

I sell engines, garden tractors, farm tractors, and parts.

If you want tales of "pay and no show" I can delve deep.

I did have an old Wisconsin engine that took me two years to sell.  One man said "I can't live without it!" and sent 50% of my asking price.  He said he would come see me.  6 months later, numerous phone calls and emails later, nobody ever showed so up it went for sale again.  Another hit.  I was impressed.  This restorer needed it for an old garden tractor.  I said sold and asked for a 50% deposit.  He paid and I waited for him to arrange shipping since he claimed he had the contacts to make shipping quick and dirty.  The phone never rang.  A year later, while cleaning up shelves, I saw that engine and remembered.  I called the poor guy up and he did remember me but he said he didn't need the engine after all.  "Keep the deposit" said he.  I once again put it up for sale, and nobody but man #1 who had originally paid 50% down calls me up and says, once again, that it was the dream of a lifetime to put the engine in his machinery.  I told him I remembered him from way long back, and that all he owed was 50% of the price and the engine was his.  He sounded shocked, and said I was thinking of someone else.  I said, "No, you are the one who paid, I have a photocopy of the check right here in my files."  He said that it was someone else, he was sending 100% payment, and he wanted the engine shipped.  I finally calmed him down enough to send him a scan of the check.  He finally conceded that he had indeed forgotten me nearly 1 1/2 years ago. 

That's tame.  I have a deposit down on three machines, two farm tractors and one garden tractor, with neither hide nor hair of the prospective owners in sight or accessible via phone. 

My rule has always been to give plenty, plenty, plenty of time.  If you do decide to resell, make sure you have a paper trail of what you did, how many times you called, letters you sent, emails you sent.  Get it notarized.  Then do the poor man's defense of sealing it up in a nice manila envelope, take it to the post office, have them date stamp the stamp and the seal of the envelope, and let them mail it back to your house.  Save it just like that, sealed and dated, so if the man with the deposit comes to get you for robbing him of the money, you have something to go back on.

That's what I was told by a lawyer, anyways.  Take it for what is worth.  It ain't my two cents, its a lawyer's five bucks.  :smilewink:

I've been there, done this, felt this, so many times it isn't funny. 

Ben W.

• olcowhand, rustyoldjunk, Gtractor and 6 others have said thanks

#9 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,734 Thanks
  • 1,728 posts

Posted November 12, 2014 - 12:11 AM

Thanks for all the info, I'm not going to do anything with it yet, I'm going to keep trying to contact him and see what happens. I'm not trying to scam him, I just want him to pick up his tractor. I also thought of him being sick or passing away. I will give this some more time and I will keep contacting him. I guess we will see what happens. The part I hate the most is this old tractor is painted up pretty nice and runs great. I have no place to store it inside and I hate to see it sit out here all winter. Thanks again for everyone's info :wave:

• IamSherwood, A.C.T. and superaben have said thanks

#10 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted November 12, 2014 - 05:56 AM

I almost always deal cash in hand, especially with larger sums of money!!  It may take a bit longer to sell things but cash in hand is the only way to go.  Otherwise I stick to e-bay.  good luck with it.

Pete

• Bolens 1000 and BTS have said thanks

#11 cootertom OFFLINE  

cootertom
  • Member No: 59950
  • 1,326 Thanks
  • 718 posts

Posted November 12, 2014 - 07:49 AM

I almost always deal cash in hand, especially with larger sums of money!!  It may take a bit longer to sell things but cash in hand is the only way to go.  Otherwise I stick to e-bay.  good luck with it.

Pete

That is the only way. Cash or PayPal if it is to be shipped.

• BTS said thank you

#12 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,716 Thanks
  • 871 posts

Posted November 12, 2014 - 08:33 AM

I have had a few similar experiences, and on the advice of my lawyer I always include deposit forfeit if not paid in full by an agreed date, if paid in full and waiting for pick up I also include that storage fees of 25% of the purchase price apply per month after a certain date, they usually pickup pretty fast but if not your only holding it for 4 months and its legally yours. this seems to stop the scammers who think they give you a tiny deposit and then try to advertise it and resell on kijiji / craigs list and other locations and make a buck while your holding onto the stuff. I actually found stuff I sold on kijiji that was still in my garage at more the twice what I sold it for and was holding it with a deposit, always have them sign a copy of the receipt for your files with contact info included 

Edited by farmer john, November 12, 2014 - 08:34 AM.

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner and BTS have said thanks

#13 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted November 12, 2014 - 08:43 AM

I sold a  Speedex and some tires and was paid for them.The guy talked to me  several times in two weeks about picking up the items and then I lost contact with him and never heard from him again.That must have been 5 years ago.

Another person from Texas bought and paid for a bunch of items stating that he was going to pick them up and he quit buying and a year or so went by and he started buying again under a different username stating that he was the same person.About a year after that he contacted me stating that he was in Ohio and would be over in a few days,that was close to 5 years ago and I have not heard from him since.

Another person bought a Case loader from me and paid my $450 or so in payments and then stopped paying stating that he would pay the rest when he picked it up.This was a 8000 lb loader and he was 3 or 4 hours away.He kept in touch and made 4 or 5 arrangements to pick up the loader but always cancelled at the last moment.I finally asked him after a year and a half if he had any money and he fessed that he did not as he was or did go through a divorce and asked if I could give him another month and if not I could keep the rest.That was the last I ever heard from him.

• BTS said thank you

#14 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted November 12, 2014 - 09:19 AM

it is also possible that all of your info, phone number, address, etc. if on his computer and nowhere else...........and his computer has taken a dive.   Or does this stuff only happen to me?

• BTS said thank you

#15 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted November 12, 2014 - 10:10 AM

I've had this happen to me twice.  Not a large sum.  Took a 50 dollars to hold a tractor, and 100 to hold a 4 wheeler.  Guys never came back.  If they would of told me that they couldn't come up with the rest I would of given them their deposit back.  Deposit was good for one week, hand shake deal.

I just relisted them after a week and sold em.

• BTS said thank you