• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 trowel OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted November 12, 2014 - 07:36 PM

Witch one has pistons going up and down at the same time?

• Bill56, DH1 and superaben have said thanks

#17 olcowhand OFFLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,251 Thanks
  • 29,700 posts

Posted November 12, 2014 - 07:40 PM

Info I found had the TJD rated at just over 18hp.  I have a TJD on one of my Bush Hog JBI tractors.

• Bill56 said thank you

#18 Gtractor ONLINE  

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,401 Thanks
  • 3,815 posts

Posted November 12, 2014 - 09:52 PM

Witch one has pistons going up and down at the same time?

The tractor I built that is pictured in post 2 in this thread has a TFD engine and the pistons move the same.

The tiller in post 10 of this thread has a THD and the pistons move the same.

On these even fire engines there is no "distributor" in the mag.  The spark plugs both fire at the same time with one spark being wasted in the cylinder that is not on the compression stroke. 

When the pistons movement is the same there is a huge counter weight on the crankshaft to smooth things out.. 

Best part is the even fire engines don't sound like a Harley or a Deere.  :poke:   :smilewink:

• Bill56, DH1, Alc and 4 others have said thanks

#19 MrMarty51 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 62893
  • 139 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted November 13, 2014 - 11:19 AM

TJD engines has a full electrical system, a set of stator windings and a sort of a rotor to make up the alternator.

For ignition, there is a distributor, the distributor is nice because it creates a "Single Fire" system that sends spark to only the cylinder that is on the compression stroke.

The TH and THD models use a "Magneto" ignition system that sends spark to both cylinders. A wasted spark system.

The single fire system runs a lot smoother as there is no wasted spark to ignite the leftover gasses in the cylinder that is on the exhaust stroke.

I changed My 1976 FLH Harley Davidson to a single fire ignition system, it made a real nice difference in the way that engine run. A lot smoother and a slight gain in acceleration too.

• Alc said thank you

#20 TokyoDrift99 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 59603
  • 80 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted November 13, 2014 - 08:46 PM

Thanks for the info guys, it is much appreciated. How would one find out if it was a thd or tjd?

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 1,871 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted November 14, 2014 - 07:41 PM

Wisconsin inline twin.... Anybody know anything about them? Do they have a variable speed governor, or are they fixed speed? I am thinking of this to repower a tractor.

That link doesn't exist any more, but this is an interesting thread nonetheless! I am commenting to help keep some commentary going here too, as I have a TF and maybe some new info will come up about these two cylinder engines!

They have variable speed.  VERY good engines.  All parts are available but expensive.   Heavy as heck.

Can't get your link to work.

Here is a tractor I built using a Wisconsin twin mounted sideways.  Try not to laugh.....

I remember seeing this before and funny it is not! Great fabrication job in my opinion!

That is a classic New Holland red Wisconsin THD.  They are governed, and they have the torque.  They run slower than a modern gas engine, but they will destroy something before they stall.

They will last forever.  Period. 

They will also provide great front end ballast for your tractor.  They weigh a ton, full cast iron all around!

Ben W.

Hi Ben, what do you know about the TF?

If that engine is fortunate enough to have a genuine Wisconsin muffler on it, it might not be stuck too bad.  The Wisconsin mufflers had drains to keep rain water out of the engine even if sticking straight up and uncovered. 

This is my garden tiller and it sits outside all year - mostly uncovered.  In the winter time I throw an old galvanized wash tub over the engine.  Rain water has never gotten in.

That is the first time I have looked at that album, Kris and dig all that stuff you pictured! How is the Model T truck project coming along? Maybe I missed updates. I would dig building something like that Case using this engine I got from the scrap trailer at work 2 years ago. I have not had the chance to fire it up yet.

Hope this isn't considered a hijack, Tokyo, I was just wanting to keep conversation going on these

Attached Thumbnails

• wisconsin engine 001.jpg
  • wisconsin engine 002.jpg
  • wisconsin engine 003.jpg
  • wisconsin engine 004.jpg
  • wisconsin engine 005.jpg

• Gtractor and superaben have said thanks

#22 Gtractor ONLINE  

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,401 Thanks
  • 3,815 posts

Posted November 14, 2014 - 10:07 PM

Thanks, DAC!

The Model TT hasn't seen any progress in quite some time.  I still have the desire, just short on time.  Last winter I bought another pickup that needed priority work done. 

My F150 got down to 10.5 MPG [6 cylinder] and the only thing I knew to do with it was to get something better on gas. The old Ford starts and runs perfect but there has to be something wrong in the computor.  [???]   Someone told me it must be stuck on the rich setting like when its first started.  I know nothing about computor controlled vehicles.

I found a Dodge Rampage well worth the money and got it.  It needed new floors welded in the cab portion although the rear "frame" rails were spotless.  I took extra time and made the new floors look factory with correct ribs and shapes.  Seemed silly to make floors that no body would see so perfect but I intend to keep this one until I die.  Plus being a unibody I wanted it strong!   I've found lots of mickey mouse type repairs the previous owner did that had to be fixed as well..  This is a representative photo I stole off the web.

My "truck" is exactly like this one right down to the pin stripe and wheels. The Rampage gets 29 MPG real steady.  :worshippy1:  As compared to feeding the F150, the Rampage repaid its purchase price back in just 500 miles! 

I've hauled my home made Case in the little truck to several shows and it does fine, although the tailgate won't close and the springs are pretty much bottomed out.

Also this year work was much busier than the last two years.  I haul ag chemicals and it rained most every week all summer so more chemicals were used.  I worked most Saturdays and missed the first 11 tractor shows of the season.  With all the rain the yard had to be mowed more often as well.  For the first time in more than 20 years I didn't mow the highway right of way in front of my place.  Maybe with winter coming I can get back to the Model TT. 

Hope I didn't hi-jack the thread too much......

• MH81 and MFDAC have said thanks

#23 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 39654
  • 1,335 Thanks
  • 1,457 posts

Posted November 15, 2014 - 10:23 PM

Another 2 cylinder (which I have) that seems to be forgotten is the TFD.

#24 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 15, 2014 - 11:19 PM

I just picked up my two inline twins today. Small problem...... No carbs.... No magnetos.... so now I need help.... On plan B....

#25 Gtractor ONLINE  

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,401 Thanks
  • 3,815 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 09:34 AM

Another 2 cylinder (which I have) that seems to be forgotten is the TFD.

My homemade tractor pictured in post #2 of this thread has a TFD.  I have no idea what the difference is from a THD.