Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

1St. Annual Garden Tractor Conference/convention

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Poll: 1st. Annual Garden Tractor Conference/Convention (35 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you attend a 1st. Annual Garden Tractor Conference/convention?

1. Yes (13 votes [37.14%])

Percentage of vote: 37.14%

2. No (1 votes [2.86%])

Percentage of vote: 2.86%

3. Possibly, need additional information (21 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

How far would you be willing to travel

1. 50 - 100 miles (12 votes [32.43%])

Percentage of vote: 32.43%

2. 100 - 150 miles (12 votes [32.43%])

Percentage of vote: 32.43%

3. 150 - 200 miles (10 votes [27.03%])

Percentage of vote: 27.03%

4. It really does not matter I would come anyway. (3 votes [8.11%])

Percentage of vote: 8.11%

What would be the range, for room and food, if you were to attend

1. $75 - $100.00 (9 votes [24.32%])

Percentage of vote: 24.32%

2. $100 - $125.00 (6 votes [16.22%])

Percentage of vote: 16.22%

3. $125 - $150.00 (10 votes [27.03%])

Percentage of vote: 27.03%

4. $150 - $200.00 (1 votes [2.70%])

Percentage of vote: 2.70%

5. It really does not matter as long as it is not a motel 6 or Waldorf Astoria (11 votes [29.73%])

Percentage of vote: 29.73%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 RMCIII OFFLINE  

RMCIII
  • Member No: 61844
  • 37 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted November 10, 2014 - 05:06 AM

Good morning all:

Some of you in here know me from Red Square, Wheel Horse Forum. I've started a poll thread in their also on the same topic... It was marked as 1st annual Wheel Horse Convention, but it makes sense to open the options up a bit more.... There has been a great amount of feedback on the topic in RS... Before anyone says this is just another meet and greet, no it's not... Here is the idea:

• Convention or Trades show at afacility
  • Teaching seminars/ how to stuff.... tranny, electrical, clutches, engines, ect.....
  • Trade show floor - Vendors and dealers.
  • Morning continental breakfast
  • Evening sit down dinner

I have been helping with conferences, conventions, meetings in the hospitality industry for some 18 years now. the biggest undertaking is finding out how well the 1st one would be attened and then the follow through.

Again, this would not be the normal meet and greet, This would draw a completely different type of memeber. Those who would want to sharpen up on their knowledge of the examples given above.

Red Square memebers, who have voted, have a unanimous "yes" would attend, and quite a few more "need more info". In order for the 1st. conference to be worth while, we would want to see at least "100" that would say they would attend.....

Well, what/how do the forum members feel about a conference? Complete with trade show floor, vendors booths, dealers, seminars, networking, and meet and greet time?

Rob

• grnspot110, Alc, GTTinkerer and 1 other said thanks

#2 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted November 10, 2014 - 07:25 AM

Sounds good, but, for me, it would have to be fairly close to home as I don't travel much!

• hamman, tinbender7 and VintageIronCollector have said thanks

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 10, 2014 - 12:08 PM

Locations?? Its a good idea but are we talking one location fits all or a few more than that?

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted November 10, 2014 - 05:06 PM

I'm on Red Square, not familiar with You-em though!   You don't say Where you are from!  The Horse Guy's already have the big Horse convention each year, and Scott's Meet and Greet in Warsaw. Think that should be enough for Horses in my life at least. Including all brands is best. This would have to be a Mid-west type place for me and not real far. SO, tell us where we are starting to be at at least.

#5 RMCIII OFFLINE  

RMCIII
  • 37 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted November 10, 2014 - 05:56 PM

Casey - The idea would be to do this first one. Compile some additional feedback and prepare for another 1. The great thing about a convention or conference is it can rotate, from state to state or mid-west t oeast coat.

Say there were a bunch of individuals who were on the east cost that decided it was to far to drive. Well, the follwoing year, it could rotate, to the east coast. It helps to keep the ability for anyone who wanted to attend, could.

GL - yep, on there, same screen name.,. Some of the points you brought up were exactly what others mentioned, but then when it was explained, this is not just a meet/greet like what the other event are. This is a true conference with classsroom seminars. The idea is it would probably target a different gorup of individuals who are looking to learn more about engines, electrical, history, sheet metal, ect......

Once the members understood what it was about, the talk of possibilities really took off. But the first goal at hand is to get this first one under way. ON RS the thought was if we could get 100 ppl that would go, then that would be enough to have the 1st. Conference/Convention.

Rob

#6 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 10, 2014 - 06:21 PM

Where is the first convention going to be, even just a state could help you to get the ball rolling on attendance.

#7 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted November 10, 2014 - 07:46 PM

depends on when/where. if it's at least semi decent, I'm fine with KOA for accomodations....

as far as the when goes I gotta build up some vacation days again....

#8 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted November 10, 2014 - 07:47 PM

depends on when/where. if it's at least semi decent, I'm fine with KOA for accomodations....

as far as the when goes I gotta build up some vacation days again....

oh yeah don't forget the swap meet portion

#9 RMCIII OFFLINE  

RMCIII
  • 37 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted November 11, 2014 - 08:37 AM

Casey - the place has not been determined yet. Just trying to see the general census of the mileage members would travel.... There are a couple ideas floating around.// 1 is to have it in Indiana at the WH factory, or in that area. Tours of the factory, classes insdie the factory, ect..... Another idea is to place it where it would be heavly attended the first time out of the gates to draw the information needed for a 2nd. conference.

The general feedback from both forums is travel time distance... Cost has not been brought up once. So it seems to me that no matter where, if we get it up and rolling, there will be members that would want to attend but the distance was greater than they wanted to travel.... Hence the need to ensure it is a well attended conference to help build for the following year..... It is all up in the air right now. That is why I need as many voters as possible... BTW, once we hit our targeted 100 definates, there will be another round of poll questions...... 1 will be where do you reside?

Rob

• Alc said thank you

#10 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted November 11, 2014 - 08:54 AM

the Apache camper guys did an "east" and a "west" roundup last year that were on the same weekend as each other... east version wasnt far from South Bend (coincidence, and the one that I went to)  and the other was sin either Cali or Arizona (I forget which)

#11 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted November 11, 2014 - 07:25 PM

Well on the outset I think it would be a great idea to have a conference type show, instead of the usual plop down a load of tractors, go to your friends camp/group only, then  run off to the motel at exactly 5pm each day. Distance to travel is mostly based on how far I could go in a day, and being able to be back to work on Monday morning. Some of us aren't retired yet and have to still work. I would be more interested in promoting an event that embraced the walk-behind tractors and im sure that there's a lot of other guys out there with a similar interest.  Not that I don't enjoy looking at all types of gardening equipment. but I can see a lot of the lawn mower types in just about any yard in the neighborhood, so looking at row after row of them at a show is a little on the, I cant see myself driving 3/4 of a day to see  this.

I'm completely open to a new type venue and look forwards to seeing where this goes.

#12 RMCIII OFFLINE  

RMCIII
  • 37 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted November 11, 2014 - 07:41 PM

DB - the interesting thing about the conference, while it does have the need to start at some point, does not mean the structure stays the same. I think, some of the other members in Red Square would like to see some seminars on the old walk behind also. There is nothing that says it has to be "restricted" to just the 4-wheeled garden tractors. Also, many of the engines were shared on both 2-wheel and 4-wheel tractors. Who says that some of the seminars can't encompass both.

The idea though is to get a strong enough nuber of interested individuals that will attend. Knowing that the 1st Conference WILL ALWAYS have room for improvment. As with any conference I have attended or helped to put on.

Keep the feedack coming PLEASE!

Rob

• Lauber1 said thank you

#13 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted November 11, 2014 - 10:50 PM

Hey Rob, you might want to think about somewhere down south a little ways like Lexington to Paducah, Ky or something like that area to make it more centralized for everyone from Maine to Florida to the west this side of the Rockies. There are a lot of collectors west of the Mississippi river. Just My thoughts as I would go about anywhere to meet several of our members at one time.
  • RMCIII said thank you

#14 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 12, 2014 - 12:05 AM

Rob,
With me it isn't that I am challenging your thoughts, I would attend for nothing other than opportunity to expand my knowledge, and help teach others entering the hobby, as I know the issues they have. I myself am mechanically inclined but self teaching small engine repair to myself, and im a "swap a known good part" and lean on the experts here for struggles. But I can't get a good one on one with the experts since none of these experts well, live close enough. It is not uncommon for me to drive 4 hours (250 mile) to meet up with others here, and not often enough. Any farther than 5 hours and I don't attend anything reliably. I do see I am so far... Not the cheap skate in the bunch, thanks for making me feel bad other voters lol. (Mabey that gets more votes)
  • RMCIII said thank you

#15 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted November 12, 2014 - 07:53 PM

When I think of a seminar, I immediately think of going back to school. Sitting for 4-8 hours in a class, watching a slide or overhead projector presentation that teaches you the name or identification of each individual part, and refreshes you on the basics. Oh, and getting up to use the bathroom, stretch your legs, get in a quick smoke (or in my case, repack my dip) and check phone messages, just about every 45 minutes.  

People are going to criticize me here and fly off the handle thinking I'm being negative, but hear me out first before you judge me. I think your intentions are great, and could be quite useful, and most of the members here would more than likely get something out it, especially the members who collect all brands and types of tractors. My question would be, what do you have to offer for us brand specific guys? I'd really be curious to know how a seminar can keep my attention span long enough to justify the expenses needed in order to attend the event. I understand different engines and transmissions were used in a variety of different tractors, but when it all comes down do it, the engines pretty much all get rebuilt the same. Yes, there are differences between gear drives and hydro drive transmissions, but once you know the general operation of each, and how to build each type separately, what more is there to teach on?  

When presenting the topics that you all decide to teach on, will you be offering hands on training? To sit in front of a stage and listen to people teach or instruct gets boring real fast. However, devising a way for a table of four pupils to have their own engine sitting in front of them so that they can see first hand the operation it takes for the engine to run, and being able to see just how important each part is, would be something to keep peoples interest, or make them feel like they walked away from the seminar with more knowledge than what they had before they got there. Having them remove a certain part, just so they see that the engine can't function without it.

As for the sheet metal part, what about having the pupils bring a piece of their own tin work that is damaged, then having your instructors show them techniques or ideas, and let the pupils work on straightening the piece back out again. Having a couple of bench vises or an anvil, plus some ballpein hammers would be handy if accessible. Just showing them without hands on experience might be good for some guys, but until they get home again, most guys will forget what was showed to them.

Would there be hand outs for the guys to take along home with them? Maybe some diagrams showing a cut through of a carb, and identifying each part and explaining why it's so important. A diagram of a hydro tranny, to show all of the internals. I know some guys that decided to take a tranny apart, but after they opened up the case and saw all of the individual parts, changed their minds and took it to a professional for rebuilding. If they would have known in advance just how much was involved, they could have saved themselves some time and headaches. However, being able to study the diagram in advance, might have given them the incentive to do the work themselves.

I agree with you as far as needing a lot of topics to teach, but I think, without hands on experience, some guys are just going to walk away from the seminar empty handed or lost. A big fancy Hotel or Community Center just won't provide the atmosphere needed to teach what needs to be taught. For all of the years that I have been driving a car or a truck, I have never seen a mechanic working on a motor or transmission while wearing his Sunday's best clothes. I'd look for a Vocational Training School that would have all of the equipment needed, and the atmosphere wouldn't make you feel out of place if you decided not to shave, wore your faded blue jeans with the knees wore out, and an old greasy ball cap.

Just my opinion here, so take it for what it's worth. I wish you the best of luck, and hope this will work out for you. Maybe you'll take some advice, and maybe you won't. Either way is fine with me. I think you're off to a good start, but tweaking it a little bit might not hurt.

Edited by johndeereelfman, November 13, 2014 - 08:12 PM.

• Bolens 1000, limebuzz, Texas Deere and Horse and 5 others have said thanks