5 replies to this topic

#1 Likesspace OFFLINE  

Likesspace
  • Member No: 54810
  • 190 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted November 09, 2014 - 03:35 PM

Hi guys.

Yesterday I got the DB out of the garage and decided to start it up and let it run for a few minutes. It hadn't been started since the end of spring so I figured it would do it some good to run.

Anyway when I started the engine the thing acted as if it was already in gear and basically took off on it's own.

After capturing the tractor and killing the engine, (a kill switch is going on it tomorrow), I started trying to figure out what was wrong with it.

The one thing that I've noticed is that the tractor pulls really hard in reverse. There are times when it pulls a little bit easier but also times when the wheels feel as if they are close to locking up.

I read in the manual about putting three or four drops of oil at a certain place on the pulley hub but it talks about an "oil cover" that I don't see on mine. Can someone tell me where to place this oil so that I can see if that helps?

Also, I'm not sure that I understand the clutch adjustment procedure that is in the manual. If someone can shed some light as to how this adjustment is made I would appreciate it. 

I don't understand why the clutch would have suddenly stopped working correctly. When I parked the tractor, everything was working as it should and it's been in the garage the entire summer. 

So, if anyone can give some ideas on what might be causing the clutch to do this.....some insight into where to oil the pulley hub and how to make the clutch adjustments, I would certainly appreciate it.

Dave

#2 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted November 09, 2014 - 03:48 PM

Not sure about the oil cover, but here are the clutch adjustments.  The two set screws (yellow circles) are backed off and the red hub is rotated until the clutch operates properly and one of the two set screws sits on the flat spots (blue arrow).   The screws are located such that only one of  them will align with the flat spot at any given time.  That gives you twice as many set points as flat spots.  Hope that helps.  Some one with a better explanation will be along shortly.

showing clutch adj without markings.jpg showing clutch adj with markings.jpg

Edited by New.Canadian.DB.Owner, November 09, 2014 - 03:49 PM.

• trowel, Likesspace and tom terrell have said thanks

#3 Likesspace OFFLINE  

Likesspace
  • Member No: 54810
  • 190 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted November 09, 2014 - 04:41 PM

Hey, thanks for the reply!

It looks like your clutch might be different from mine.

I have what appears to be a roll pin that holds my clutch in place. I've never taken the clutch apart and don't really look forward to doing it once it becomes necessary. From what I've heard it can be a tough job to get accomplished.

After posting this earlier, I decided to do a google search on my problem. The results turned up a Youtube video that solved my problem. The video was made by Danoconner and at one point he said that he has had luck with "spraying the clutch with panther piss, (not sure what that is), and then tapping it with a ball pein hammer."

Well I decided to try electrical contact cleaner since it is non oil based and evaporates almost immediately. After tapping the clutch with a rubber mallet, (so I didn't mar my paint), the clutch freed up and seems to be working as it's supposed to.

I also watched a segment on adjusting the clutch by screwing the control rod spring either in or out. That was the adjustment that I was asking about and it's a lot simpler than I was making it out to be.

So, like I said, the problem has been solved and if it pops up again I know what to do about it. I know that it's only a matter of time before I have to take the clutch apart but I'd like to put that particular job off as long as possible. 

Thanks again.

Dave

• Alc, trowel, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and 1 other said thanks

#4 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted November 09, 2014 - 04:52 PM

Dave,

As hard as it may seem once apart it is rather straight forwards, I was about to advice on adjusting the rod but you got that now, your clutch is the later style with the roll pin and is non-adjustable.

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted November 09, 2014 - 05:11 PM

Couldn't the clutch facing get stuck to one side or the other of the pulley ? Like if the tractor was in an area that has moisture ?
  • trowel and superaben have said thanks

#6 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted November 09, 2014 - 06:07 PM

Couldn't the clutch facing get stuck to one side or the other of the pulley ? Like if the tractor was in an area that has moisture ?

Yes, seems that way, usually it is one side that grabs, always seems to be the inner one.

• Alc and tom terrell have said thanks