Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Bush Hog Transaxles Ring Gears Changed At Some Point.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted November 09, 2014 - 02:52 PM

I was working on one of the busted D4-12 transaxles and noticed one of the spare rings gears would not fit into the transaxle casing.... hmmmmm....looked for the ring gear stamped part number and sure enough, the rings gears in question had two different numbers. Starting pulling out other old ring gears (some good and some bad) and yes, there were two different part numbers. The manuals do not reflect any part number changes from what I can tell. The earlier version S-1048 has thinner teeth than the later version B-3297. Pictures below can show you the difference. The bad news is they still kept breaking so it did not cure the problem. Another big discovery is that the left and right axle housing most likely, have been shimmed differently, so they should be installed back to the side of the transaxle it came from, if they are ever taken off. Anyone that has a spare ring gear please check your number and post it here.
image.jpg image.jpg

Edited by sacsr, November 09, 2014 - 02:56 PM.

• Bolens 1000, olcowhand, DH1 and 3 others have said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted November 09, 2014 - 05:13 PM

In order for both ring gears to work with the same pinion gear, the thinner toothed gear has to be cut deeper. Can you check and see if there is a depth difference.
  • olcowhand said thank you

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,436 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted November 09, 2014 - 05:26 PM

I was wondering if the pinion was the same gear. Hadn't seen the innards of one of these rears!

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted November 09, 2014 - 06:22 PM

Those gears look pretty strong , any idea of why there breaking ? Alloy or other material issues ?

#5 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted November 09, 2014 - 06:25 PM

In order for both ring gears to work with the same pinion gear, the thinner toothed gear has to be cut deeper. Can you check and see if there is a depth difference.

Yes I can check it- I was going to see if I could measure amy difference in the pinion gear as well- I have never found a stamped model number on any of the pinion gears-
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#6 JTucker OFFLINE  

JTucker
  • Member No: 54887
  • 1 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted November 02, 2015 - 08:48 PM

after a year of having parts for my d4-10 lay on the shelf I have finally gotten a chance to start the assembly process and a few issues have come up. the biggest issue is while trying to reassemble the transaxle. I assembled the front end and ensured everything spins and shifts gears smoothly and correctly, but when I install the ring gear and axel shafts everything seizes up and won't rotate. I have tried installing the ring gear and pinion from both sides. What am I missing? Thanks,

#7 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted November 03, 2015 - 06:23 PM

I have had some what of the same issue on one I was rebuilding. I have not figured out the solution at this point. What is the model number on your ring gear? Is it original or a replacement? I am thinking it has to do with the shimming of the pinion gear, but not 100% sure. I contacted a guy who had worked on them years ago and he said he never had to break them down to the point of a total rebuild so he could not help. Bummer, was hoping he was going to give me the secret to this issue. The one I rebuilt will spin freely as long as you don't push the tires in the same direction, as soon as the tires are pushed in the same direction it locks up. Hope someone else may have the solution.

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted November 03, 2015 - 06:39 PM

Wish I could help, but I've never had this kind of problem on any type of final drive.

• DH1 and sacsr have said thanks

#9 JTucker OFFLINE  

JTucker
  • Member No: 54887
  • 1 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted November 03, 2015 - 08:53 PM

I think I figured out the problem. Does anyone have a picture of the pinion gear with assembled bearings and gears outside of the transaxle case they could post? I think the pinion stick though depth is to long caused by the rear bearing.