21 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 9,027 Thanks
  • 5,511 posts

Posted November 09, 2014 - 02:14 PM

Got told last week I won't be able to come home at the end of this month like I planned. Upsetting but I can go with the flow.

Since I am going to be staying down there I am going to fix up a second building on the property my buddy bought. It is already insulated dry walled and only needs power. The drywall is damaged and needs repairs. Vandals knocked holes in the walls. Outside needs a coat of paint and the ground around it dressed up. Won't have a bathroom I will make use of the main cabin bathrooms.

So this leads me to the first load. 2 sheets of drywall. 1 bucket of compound, 1 5 gallon bucket of mixed paint, and tools

20141109_135805.jpg

20141105_164155.jpg 20141105_164310.jpg

Edited by toomanytoys84, November 09, 2014 - 02:16 PM.

• MH81, Alc, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#2 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,309 Thanks
  • 3,234 posts

Posted November 09, 2014 - 04:00 PM

Nice Tacoma looks good in white. Sorry to hear your return home will be delayed. Like you said going with the flow.
  • toomanytoys84 said thank you

#3 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 9,027 Thanks
  • 5,511 posts

Posted November 09, 2014 - 04:06 PM

Wife was really unhappy about it. I'm not happy but life is too short to be upset. I told her I have a job they need me to be here and there are many people without jobs let alone one that pays well.

Thanks. I am really fond of white vehicles. Didn't choose the white per say since it was used but I was happy.

Truck is great so far. 19.5mpg 20.8 mpg and 20.2mpg for 3 tanks so far. Pretty good for a 5 passenger 4x4 truck.

Edited by toomanytoys84, November 09, 2014 - 04:08 PM.

• GTTinkerer and Sawdust have said thanks

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben

Con Man

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,665 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted November 09, 2014 - 08:23 PM

Truck is great so far.

Can't believe you'd say that about some ol' off brand Toyota.  You should have bought a Ford!  :poke:

In all honesty, the Toyota trucks impress me.  I was of the belief that foreign trucks were foreign yuck and not made to do real truck stuff like American trucks.  Toyota has really done well.

I'll still stick with my Fords, though.

Ben W.

#5 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 9,027 Thanks
  • 5,511 posts

Posted November 09, 2014 - 08:52 PM

Can't believe you'd say that about some ol' off brand Toyota. You should have bought a Ford! :poke:

In all honesty, the Toyota trucks impress me. I was of the belief that foreign trucks were foreign yuck and not made to do real truck stuff like American trucks. Toyota has really done well.

I'll still stick with my Fords, though.

Ben W.

I have owned all manner of trucks. Small trucks to big trucks.

Best I've owned. Ford rangers. Tough and will take a beating.

But I most likely wont own another domestic vehicle. Toyota makes an amazing vehicle along with great resale value. I would of bought that chevy diesel but glad I didn't since my buddy's 3 year old diesel just went in for 1500 worth of repairs.

Edited by toomanytoys84, November 09, 2014 - 08:54 PM.

• superaben and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#6 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben

Con Man

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,665 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted November 09, 2014 - 10:24 PM

I have owned all manner of trucks. Small trucks to big trucks.

Best I've owned. Ford rangers. Tough and will take a beating.

But I most likely wont own another domestic vehicle. Toyota makes an amazing vehicle along with great resale value. I would of bought that chevy diesel but glad I didn't since my buddy's 3 year old diesel just went in for 1500 worth of repairs.

I have a 2001 Ford Ranger, extended cab, 4wd.  That truck has had a beating daily as my daily driver and until recently my primary towing truck for my little business trailer.  I love that poor thing, although it is due to get a break once I get something with some more grunt in it. 

New diesels are no good in my book.  Tier IV engines can take the same block/guts/internals as the old Tier III and have much, much less power.  There is so much computerization and metering that the tolerances are minute and impossible to meet it seems.

Toyotas do have a good name out there.  The resale value goes like John Deere and Kubota: the name sells!

Ben W.

• toomanytoys84 and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#7 chuckerfarm2014 OFFLINE  

chuckerfarm2014
  • Member No: 62364
  • 27 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted November 10, 2014 - 04:38 AM

I have an 2000 cummins 4x4. A 2006 duramax 4x4 and a 09 duramax 4x4. The cummins and 06 duramax gets 20 mpg all day. The 09 gets about 16. The 06 duramax has tons of stuff done to it and has around 600hp. It's built to really tow and that it's unstoppable. I had two gmc big blocks before that that had a 6.0 gas and 8.1 gas motor. These diesels are more than double the power and mpg that the gas trucks had. I know what you mean with the simplicity of the gas trucks but these trucks don't ever go down . The cummins has 250.000 miles on it. I just had to put a tranny in it. The duramax both have around 100.000 on them. They all should get atleast 300,000 out of thrm. It's just why would I buy a little baby truck that gets the same mpg when I can get a full size ext cab truck with an 8 ft bed and have a truck that can actually haul something!

#8 Coventry Plumber ONLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • Member No: 60643
  • 1,074 Thanks
  • 585 posts

Posted November 10, 2014 - 06:23 AM

Good luck with your new truck .

#9 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 9,027 Thanks
  • 5,511 posts

Posted November 10, 2014 - 09:00 AM

It's just why would I buy a little baby truck that gets the same mpg when I can get a full size ext cab truck with an 8 ft bed and have a truck that can actually haul something!

I agree and disagree with that statement.  Everything associated with a 3/4 ton diesel truck is more expensive.  Repair parts are more expensive, fuel cost even at 20mpg is more.  Plus the cost of the purchase.  Over the course of 300,000 miles you will spend more to maintain and fuel a 3/4 ton than you will a smaller pickup. 

Saying that I really wanted an 8' bed double cab 3/4 ton truck.  But it was WAY overkill for what I need.  My little Tacoma will handle everything I need.

#10 chuckerfarm2014 OFFLINE  

chuckerfarm2014
  • Member No: 62364
  • 27 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted November 10, 2014 - 09:03 AM

Oh don't get me wrong I like the looks of them little trucks and they kick butt in snow but just can't haul a lot. But you will get lots of life out of that toyota

#11 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,510 Thanks
  • 2,424 posts

Posted November 10, 2014 - 06:29 PM

I can tell you, these little Toyota trucks are real work horses.  Back in 1978 my dad wanted a truck.  He decided on a Toyota.  At the time I think all they made were small trucks and it was simply a Toyota truck.  Anyway, this little beast had a 4 cylinder engine, automatic tranny, regular cab and long bed.  Believe it or not, I think it was a 7 foot bed.  Anyway, we had a limestone mine about 10 miles from our place and dad wanted to get some stone.  We took that little truck down into the valley where the mine was.  This is a mile lone hill down to the mine.  We got limestone and proceeded to the scales to see what we had to pay.  That little truck had 2,800 pounds of limestone in the bed.  We weren't sure but decided to try it.  Dad let me drive (he was brave that way).  Well we started up the hill and that little truck just went and about 3/4 of the way up we hit 4th gear.  I couldn't believe it.  Anyway we got the load home without an issue and I shoveled stone for the next few hours.  So, yeah, these little trucks are tough.  I'm thinking about a Tacoma for my next truck and am very interested in how they tow.

I see guys up the road getting firewood now and then in a little Toyota.  They always stack the wood to the top of the roof.  Safe to say, they will haul anything you can fit in the bed.

#12 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 9,027 Thanks
  • 5,511 posts

Posted November 10, 2014 - 07:23 PM

I'm thinking about a Tacoma for my next truck and am very interested in how they tow.

I see guys up the road getting firewood now and then in a little Toyota. They always stack the wood to the top of the roof. Safe to say, they will haul anything you can fit in the bed.

I have read up to 1500 in the bed and 6400 lb towing.

I'll let you know when I load up the trailer and haul some stuff
  • David Brown said thank you

#13 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,603 Thanks
  • 5,518 posts

Posted November 11, 2014 - 08:26 AM

Toyotas do have a good name out there. 

Ben W.

Yea, besides all those ones that had rotted out frames  :poke:  :D

I have read up to 1500 in the bed and 6400 lb towing.

I'll let you know when I load up the trailer and haul some stuff

1500?? seems low, My dad and I used to drop 4000 of gravel in the back of his 1/2 ton Chevy on a regular basis. Of course that would snap a Ford in half,   :poke:  :D

Seriously, I will kid ya, but glad you are happy with your purchase, not a bad looking truck. I actually kind of like some of the newer Toyos jacked up with some meats under them, I think the Tundras are the ones that catch my eye.

• superaben and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#14 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 9,027 Thanks
  • 5,511 posts

Posted November 11, 2014 - 09:04 AM

1500?? seems low, My dad and I used to drop 4000 of gravel in the back of his 1/2 ton Chevy on a regular basis. Of course that would snap a Ford in half,   :poke:  :D

At least mine will keep a transmission in it! :poke:

:rolling:

#15 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,603 Thanks
  • 5,518 posts

Posted November 11, 2014 - 12:28 PM

At least mine will keep a transmission in it! :poke:

:rolling:

You hope!!!   :firejumper:

Tranny didn't act up in dad's truck until 180K, that was after pulling both lanscaping trailers/travel trailer before he bought it, then dad's beating on it with loads gravel/ firewood/ contruction supplies. Too bad GM has never gotten a handle on rust issues of the bodies in their trucks, dad's truck is destined for part out and the scrapper. :(