8 replies to this topic

#1 hamman OFFLINE  

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,519 Thanks
  • 2,551 posts

Posted November 09, 2014 - 01:58 PM

I have had a couple of pressing things to do for the daughters wedding and those are well on their way to being done. I have the weight box shortened for the Jacobsen and remounted. Not happy with it but it will do for the winter. A lot of home honey dos are done and ready for the cold weather. 

My mind has been on other things lately. Of course our daughters wedding and then the news that my cousin that I grew up with was diagnosed with lung cancer and possibly brain cancer. She is 3 years younger than me and has just retired. Her husband is still working and they are evaluating their future. Her diagnosis is not complete but it appears that there may be some good news on the horizon. My other cousin, Jim, who has been battling liver cancer and lung cancer passed away yesterday. He has been battling this disease for about 4 years. The official cause of death was related to sepsis from the liver. He and his wife just moved to Arizona to a new home they just had built. He had lived there before and had moved back to Michigan prior to his diagnosis of cancer. I don't thin he ever got to the home completed. While they were en route to Arizona he had a setback and ended up in the hospital in Missouri. I had last seen him at a wedding this last August. He was getting stronger fro the chemo and radiation treatment. He's a retired Master Sgt. form the Air Force. He was one of many responsible for the loading and movement of Agent Orange the was used in Vietnam.

Needless to say my mind has not been on the things it probably should have or at least, all in, as some would say. I have said this before, being a cancer survivor myself, I know the impact just the word, let alone the disease has on a family.  I pray that someday this disease will be eradicated from the world. I have had many of my family and friends suffer with this disease. Prayers for all those who have suffered from this disease and well wishes to those who are going thru this today.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest and clearing my mind a bit. Now it's off to finish a couple of projects and then watch the game I'm going to tape.           Have a good rest of the weekend.                                                                              Roger

• MH81, KennyP, sacsr and 8 others have said thanks

• Member No: 10038
  • 4,665 Thanks
  • 4,214 posts

Posted November 09, 2014 - 02:15 PM

Sad to hear the news of your friends and family.

Hopefully there will be a cure some day.

• hamman, trowel and oldedeeres have said thanks

#3 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,041 Thanks
  • 4,972 posts

Posted November 09, 2014 - 02:20 PM

My great uncle was a Vietnam vet. He served 3 tours in the airborne units. He died in 1987 of bone cancer that was believed to be caused by agent orange.

My other great uncle was a helicopter door gunner during Vietnam. He has fought and beat cancer 3 times.

Cancer is a nasty disease. It's taken 2 of my grandparents. The other 2 passed from other causes.

Stay strong and keep pushing.

Edited by toomanytoys84, November 09, 2014 - 02:21 PM.

• hamman and trowel have said thanks

#4 Alc OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,278 Thanks
  • 6,482 posts

Posted November 09, 2014 - 02:21 PM

Sorry to hear the news about your cousins , the one in the service sounds too familiar ,,,my cousin has liver problems , he was in Vietnam as a vehicle mechanic . So many are finding out that now they are ready to retire ,,,, this happens . Cancer stinks

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,741 Thanks
  • 2,720 posts

Posted November 09, 2014 - 04:49 PM

God be with them, its hard sometimes life. Try to focus on your daughter's wedding nothing you can do about the other stuff Prayer's out .Hank

#6 trowel OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted November 09, 2014 - 04:59 PM

Roger, I am very sorry to hear that, I hope it works out for the best, sending him some strong will to fight.

We as a family buried my uncle a few months ago, he fought cancer and won for a while before it returned and eventually took him but he fought hard and remained positive till the end.

Since we buried him I really have not done much by ways of engines and tractors with the exception of the Allis diesel re-power which still sits there.

A girlfriend from work just left, we spent the afternoon hanging out chatting, enjoying each other, this is the best I have felt in years, today I turned 31 years old and could not of asked for a better day, i am thinking a little differently now, death changes people.

Edited by trowel, November 09, 2014 - 05:08 PM.

• Alc, hamman, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#7 superaben OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted November 09, 2014 - 08:25 PM

today I turned 31 years old and could not of asked for a better day

:happybday: Jesse!

Ben W.

#8 superaben OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted November 09, 2014 - 08:26 PM

Roger, sorry to hear that you have had a couple rough weeks.  Cancer is a nasty thing, seeming so powerful, but God is greater still. 

Ben W.

#9 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

• Member No: 14008
  • 5,514 Thanks
  • 3,064 posts

Posted November 09, 2014 - 09:37 PM

Sorry to hear about your cousins, Roger. Cancer is awful.