22 replies to this topic

#16 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted November 10, 2014 - 08:05 AM

That is about what I had figured on my Bolens G152 with the 1330 single stage blower, about 1,000 rpms with the engine at full throttle. (which is 2800 rpm on my two cylinder diesel) My gearbox is a 4:3 reduction. (75%)

The reason I bothered is I increased the auger speed by almost 25%. It really throws snow, but sucks power like mad, and I can't turn it off fast enough to prevent damage if the shear bolt doesn't go.

Kind of goes without saying - more speed, less power.

#17 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted November 10, 2014 - 08:09 AM

Static balancing works on turning parts that are short (like a dinner plate).  If the part is a long cylinder (like the snow thrower auger), the static balance will not help much.  Long cylinders need to be dynamically balanced to remove the twisting motion at each bearing.

That never crossed my mind but you are absolutely correct.  It's the difference between balancing a car tire and it's drive shaft.  The more I think about it the more I think my augur is is bent.  Will do some checking this morning and see what I can shake out of the 'shaker'. :thumbs:

#18 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted November 10, 2014 - 12:04 PM

Did some checking, watching, measuring, etc. this morning.  I do not believe the augur is bent.  I still think it is a weight  balance problem.  Going to wait till I put it into the snow before I go any further.  At slow speed and the thrower on the ground it is smooth.  4/5 throttle it starts to shake.  Raise the thrower and it really starts to shake.  Not like I am going to be running it for hours on end.  If the snow gets that deep I will get the larger equipment out and use the thrower for the paths.

• Cvans said thank you

#19 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted November 10, 2014 - 10:26 PM

Did some checking, watching, measuring, etc. this morning.  I do not believe the augur is bent.  I still think it is a weight  balance problem.  Going to wait till I put it into the snow before I go any further.  At slow speed and the thrower on the ground it is smooth.  4/5 throttle it starts to shake.  Raise the thrower and it really starts to shake.  Not like I am going to be running it for hours on end.  If the snow gets that deep I will get the larger equipment out and use the thrower for the paths.

Have you checked the gearbox to see the condition of your gears and shim bearings?

• chieffan said thank you

#20 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted November 10, 2014 - 11:22 PM

That never crossed my mind but you are absolutely correct.  It's the difference between balancing a car tire and it's drive shaft.  The more I think about it the more I think my augur is is bent.  Will do some checking this morning and see what I can shake out of the 'shaker'. :thumbs:

Static check is maybe not a perfect solution, but certainly better than nothing.
I would try it, possibly with magnets to see if you can get a feel for whats heavy
  • Cvans said thank you

#21 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,608 posts

Posted November 11, 2014 - 08:51 AM

Where's all our electronic members ? Thought one would have come up with a way to balance it with a strobe light , and some type of trigger switch ,,,,not me anyway lol
  • MH81, Cvans and chieffan have said thanks

#22 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted November 11, 2014 - 11:46 AM

Where's all our electronic members ? Thought one would have come up with a way to balance it with a strobe light , and some type of trigger switch ,,,,not me anyway lol

Now THAT is funny. :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

• chieffan said thank you

#23 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted November 11, 2014 - 02:07 PM

At this point I am not going to worry about it.  I have another thrower that is good to go so if the Bolens don't pan out with the vibration I can get it fired up.  Shop is not heated and at 24° and a 18 mph North wind I am not in the mood to start taking things apart for the fun of it.  With all the welding that has been done on the flats on the augur I still think that is where most of the problem lies.  I my be wrong but that's my theory and I'm sticking to it ! :thumbs:

• Alc and MyBolens1053 have said thanks