21 replies to this topic

#16 hammerdwn20 OFFLINE  

hammerdwn20

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2133
  • 126 Thanks
  • 279 posts

Posted February 27, 2011 - 09:57 PM

i wouldnt pull the pump. your getting closer. Is the inlet line clamped tight so your not sucking any air into the pump? Is your temp tank gravity feed or are you running some kind of lift pump either manual or electric? do you have the lines off the pump side or the injector side? Id pull them off the pump side since your haveing so much trouble first and try it there.
  • TheFarm2004 said thank you

#17 TheFarm2004 OFFLINE  

TheFarm2004

• Member No: 642
  • 129 Thanks
  • 124 posts

Posted March 10, 2011 - 10:55 AM

Update: I have only had short times to piddle with this so over the past week I have:
1) replaced line from lift pump to filter to Injection pump.
2) removed injection lines to atomizers, blew out lines with air.
3) run lacquer thinner thru pump, about 5 Tbs. Still only came out one injector port.
4) Tried blowing 120 psi air thru the pump ports.
5) REMOVED injection pump - two pistons were stuck.
6) disassembled those two pistons, not pretty, had to tap them out with brass punch and then they popped quickly.
I was trying for "slow and easy" to not how to put it back!
7) polished all the pieces, lubed with oil, and guessed at the plunger, reassembled, installed!
8) Bled to Inj pump with the lift pump, turned over by hand a couple of times, spun with starter,
Have Diesel pumping from all 3 ports!
9) installed injector lines, bled air, lots of smoke!!!
10) warmed up the glow plugs, bumped the starter, spit sputter and purrrr, with black/grey smoke.
11) Major problem, no throttle control, no mechanical shut down, had to shut off fuel.
12) Did this three more times just to hear it run.

No doubt the plunger in the two cylinders are backwards so I need to pull the pump again and it may be trial and error a couple of times. I found an IPB of the pump but no real information on how mechanical s work.

Question, How long can I run this with out water flow or radiator before damage? 2 minutes or 10?
perkins pump 003.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• perkins pump 017.jpg
  • perkins pump 012.jpg
  • perkins pump 015.jpg

#18 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 37,718 Thanks
  • 30,340 posts

Posted March 10, 2011 - 09:16 PM

I would not run the engine without water more than 20 seconds or so. The inner walls are fairly thin & will heat up rather quickly without water.

#19 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1724
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted March 11, 2011 - 04:01 PM

I agree that you want to limit the time running without coolant in the engine. It would be a shame if you cooked it after your hard work. On the other hand I am glad that you are making progress. I appears you are learning as you go - nothing wrong with that!

JN

#20 TheFarm2004 OFFLINE  

TheFarm2004

• Member No: 642
  • 129 Thanks
  • 124 posts

Posted March 11, 2011 - 11:37 PM

Took the pump out, disassembled the good port to see how it is suppose to be then put all three back together correctly! The thing will fire right off with 10 seconds of glow plugs and bump the starter. The mechanical shut down still seems way too slow but that can wait till I get a radiator. Now that I know it will run, I can start looking at how it will set in the frame and what will be needed for a drive shaft. My wife has told me not to buy the FEL till the $5000.00 braces for sons teeth are paid for, so it will a while before this project is done!!

Boss you are correct, this is the first diesel for me to ever turn a wrench on, it was headed for the scrap yard so I thought it would be a fun challenge and it was already broke.
perkins inj pump pistons 005.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• perkins inj pump pistons 002.jpg

#21 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1724
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted March 16, 2011 - 03:48 PM

My first diesel came in a Cub compact 4 x 4 tractor several years ago. Since it came with only 12 hours on it I have had to do nothing to it except changing oil and filters so there's not been much experience working on it but I sure have fallen in love with diesel power (especially the fuel economy). I am looking forward to a project like yours that will let me get my hands diesel dirty. I would like to have the same fuel economy and power advantages in a GT as I now have in my CUT.

Keep us posted on your progress.

JN

#22 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,292 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 16, 2011 - 07:49 PM

You have made some great progress. With all these diesel builds it sure does put the pressure on those that wanna do it too. :D