• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 TheFarm2004 OFFLINE  

TheFarm2004

• Member No: 642
  • 129 Thanks
  • 124 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 09:21 AM

I thought this would be simple bolt it up and make a drive shaft to the flywheel. But the rotation is opposite and the crank pulley is also a counter balance so I don't see how to put an extra coupling on with the crank pulley which I need to run the water pump and alternator. Is there a way to change the rotation of the pump? I think it is an Eaton, will verify later. Any help / thoughts would be appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails

• perkins and kids 045.jpg
  • perkins and kids 050.jpg
  • perkins and kids 048.jpg
  • perkins and kids 047.jpg

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,608 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 09:46 AM

It can be done with the Sundstrand hydro, but I don't know at all about the Eaton. What cubic inch is that Perkins?

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 12:12 PM

What if you mounted the engine in the frame backwards like Deere and Kubota does? Would it not rotate the right direction and you wouldn't have to change out anything else?

BTW, Is that out of a Miller welder?

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,608 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 12:18 PM

What if you mounted the engine in the frame backwards like Deere and Kubota does? Would it not rotate the right direction and you wouldn't have to change out anything else?

BTW, Is that out of a Miller welder?

Brian, take a close look at the pulley on the Perkins that runs the alternator & water pump. It has a built on balance weight that he must keep. Would be difficult to make a pulley with adapter for the driveshaft that would be the right balance. I thought the same thing until I looked close at the pics.

#5 TheFarm2004 OFFLINE  

TheFarm2004

• 129 Thanks
  • 124 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 12:52 PM

The Perkins is 879 cc or 53.64 cid. It came out of a Lincoln welder with 1522 hrs. Manufacture date of 1987. I have went thru the Eaton book and can find no mention of changing the input shaft rotation. Maybe I should wait till a kubota deal comes up.
snapper perkins 003.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• snapper perkins 004.jpg
  • snapper perkins 005.jpg
  • snapper perkins 001.jpg

#6 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 01:10 PM

Daniel, What would happen if he flipped the hydro unit end for end, wouldn't that make the hydro have to run in opposite direction?

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,608 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 03:04 PM

Daniel, What would happen if he flipped the hydro unit end for end, wouldn't that make the hydro have to run in opposite direction?

Not really following what you mean Brian. Try to explain to where my rusty mind catches on. lol

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,608 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 03:06 PM

Maybe I should wait till a kubota deal comes up.

My Kubota G4200 has the same Eaton unit & has it's diesel with the flywheel to the tractor's front.

#9 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 03:17 PM

Not really following what you mean Brian. Try to explain to where my rusty mind catches on. lol

Its ok Daniel, I thought about it more and it won't work, LOL. I was thinking like on a ford rearend, if you flipped end for end,( the left hub would now be on the right side), it would put the ring and bull gear on the other side, letting it be turned the opposite way, but go in the same direction.
Hydro's don't work that way so nevr mind.

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,608 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 03:22 PM

Its ok Daniel, I thought about it more and it won't work, LOL. I was thinking like on a ford rearend, if you flipped end for end,( the left hub would now be on the right side), it would put the ring and bull gear on the other side, letting it be turned the opposite way, but go in the same direction.
Hydro's don't work that way so nevr mind.

So I was thinking correctly? Makes me feel better! :D Now I understand what you meant, but like you said, wouldn't apply to a hydro.

#11 TheFarm2004 OFFLINE  

TheFarm2004

• 129 Thanks
  • 124 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 03:34 PM

My G6200 and I think my 990 all have the Eaton pump. Seems the issue now is what will happen if I change that counter balance pulley to a drive line coupling. I think I should pull the Onan and set the perkins in there to see just how it will line up. I was thinking a love-joy would work but not sure now. WAIT!! The perkins has not fired up yet!

#12 TheFarm2004 OFFLINE  

TheFarm2004

• 129 Thanks
  • 124 posts

Posted February 27, 2011 - 12:06 PM

Had some time to work on the perkins. Installed a temp tank for fuel, bled the lines to injector pump, good clean flow while cranking. Applied power to the shutdown solenoid, opened the injector lines, stared cranking again. I have cranked this engine till the battery died twice now and still no diesel at the injectors. How long should it take to bleed the injector pump?
I am still thinking I can change the crankshaft pulley to a newer model 100 series that has bolt holes for power take off, as per Perkins PDF.

#13 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 27, 2011 - 12:25 PM

Make sure you have the shut off valve open, you should be able to hear it and feel it open. It shouldn't take alot of crankong if you have all the injecter lines cracked open..Do you see any bubbles around the fittings you have loose?

#14 hammerdwn20 OFFLINE  

hammerdwn20

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2133
  • 98 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted February 27, 2011 - 09:21 PM

like brian said it shouldnt take more than a few seconds of cranking to see some fuel from the injector lines. I dont know what type of solenoid it has on it but is it possible to remove it or hold it open like on a kubota? Is it possible the solenoid is normally open and power is sent to it to shut the fuel off momentarily?

#15 TheFarm2004 OFFLINE  

TheFarm2004

• 129 Thanks
  • 124 posts

Posted February 27, 2011 - 09:39 PM

I removed the fuel shutoff solenoid and it is "powered for run". It is working but I left it un-installed for now. I now have a dribble to #1 injector and small puffs of white smoke out the exhaust. # 2 & 3 injector lines are still bone dry. Since there is good clean flow to the pump, I think I need to pull the pump out and clean it out with some air.