• Member No: 9737
  • 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted November 08, 2014 - 09:03 PM

This is what I have

DSCF4615.JPG

This is what I want to put on it

Bolens HT 20-23 (1).JPG

Im worried that it may be too heavy for the front axle or wheels. I dont know howmuch weight that axle/wheels can handle. The frame on the MF it narrower by 7 inches so I will have to do some mods and reinforcing I think. Anyone here has experience with this type of thing? I really need some help understanding how to figure out if its too big or if positioning towrds the rear might be better etc etc

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted November 09, 2014 - 01:31 AM

I would find a picture or info on loader for the MF and see what kind of frame mounts they used and try to make the same sub-frame for your loader. I'm kinda thinking you might be just using the uprights and the rest and not the sub-frame that is NOW on the Donor tractor.  If it is a Johnson loader, maybe there is even instructions for mounting on a MF that can be found?.  Is Johnson still a company to contact? 

• hatedge said thank you

#3 TomLGT195 ONLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,795 Thanks
  • 2,193 posts

Posted November 09, 2014 - 06:00 AM

I agree with grumpy. Johnson loaders usually have a plate at the bottom of the posts that different sub frame connectors , for different tractor brands, will bolt up to. Find a pic of that and you will have to find or fabricate the subframe, and pump mounts. As far as weight goes , just don't overload the bucket and put a good set of 4ply tires on the front. the donor tractor looks pretty centered, front to back, for weight distribution. don't forget a weight box for balance. Tom

• hatedge said thank you

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,347 Thanks
  • 39,628 posts

Posted November 09, 2014 - 06:36 AM

:ditto: the above posts. I googled MF 14 & loader and found this video.

• ducky, MH81, hatedge and 2 others have said thanks

#5 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted November 09, 2014 - 11:58 AM

My look isn't getting good signal or ?  on video, keeps blanking out. Sounds good though!  I DO think a little bigger tires on the orig Massey here  would be good idea. Not sure how easy to change spindles or if neccesary. Most loaders make tractor harder to steer with a load when no power steering is on it. Taller tires helps some there. Too wide and it is worse, rather than better.

• hatedge said thank you

#6 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted November 09, 2014 - 10:00 PM

:ditto: the above posts. I googled MF 14 & loader and found this video.

Yes I have seen this video. Thats what got me thinking about weight. You the MF14 in this video ha a loader frame made of thin gauge tubing compared to mine. May that all I need to do as you guys say is keep the bucket half empty or refrain from driving around too long when bucket is heavy.

#7 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted November 09, 2014 - 10:01 PM

Most loaders make tractor harder to steer with a load when no power steering is on it. Taller tires helps some there. Too wide and it is worse, rather than better.

Hadnt thought of steering. Thanks for bringing it up, ill have to look into this.

#8 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted November 09, 2014 - 10:06 PM

I agree with grumpy. Johnson loaders usually have a plate at the bottom of the posts that different sub frame connectors , for different tractor brands, will bolt up to. Find a pic of that and you will have to find or fabricate the subframe, and pump mounts. As far as weight goes , just don't overload the bucket and put a good set of 4ply tires on the front. the donor tractor looks pretty centered, front to back, for weight distribution. don't forget a weight box for balance. Tom

I will search for the subframe on the net see what I can come up with. The donor tractor is much heavyer than the MF14. It has a 20hp Kohler engine in front and as I said its a full 7" wider. The wheels are also futher apart. Thats why I was wondering if mouting the loader as far back as possible might help reduce the strain on the front axle and keep it from toppleling.

#9 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted November 12, 2014 - 09:03 AM

Well the snow is in! My house being built mountain side the yard is on a steep slope and tractors cannot go to and fro when the snow hits. I guess that the loader will be a spring project after all. That should give me enough time to do some thinking. Thanks to you all for the tips. I think ill be on the right track to figure things out till time comes to actually put thoughts to metal.

#10 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 15, 2014 - 09:59 PM

I don't know if pictures from a loader on a Massey 1655 would help or not. I will admit it would be nice to have power steering. Even with an empty bucket the steering is a lot harder. Granted I don't have a weight box on the back which would help tremendously. It is on my to do list. If you can counter the weight of the front end loader a good bit the steering shouldn't be too bad. I don't know what the axle weight rating is on the Massey MF14 / MF16.

#11 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted March 12, 2015 - 09:39 PM

Ok spring is coming and the loader will soon be instaled on the massey. Ive seen a home made attachement that turns a loader into an excavator and im wondering if anyone here has seen something like that before how does it work and if itspossible to replicate. Does any of you guys have a picture to show me the thing because sadly I have no  picture of the one I saw to show you what im talking about.

Thanks for the help

• MH81 said thank you

#12 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted March 15, 2015 - 02:35 AM

I will search for the subframe on the net see what I can come up with. The donor tractor is much heavyer than the MF14. It has a 20hp Kohler engine in front and as I said its a full 7" wider. The wheels are also futher apart. Thats why I was wondering if mouting the loader as far back as possible might help reduce the strain on the front axle and keep it from toppleling.

It doesn't matter how far back you mount the posts, ALL of the load goes on the front axle anyway.

The big difference is that with the posts further back, you can pick up a heavier load than you can with the posts forward given a specific amount of ballast.

There is a series of pics in this thread showing the subframe for my 1655.

Note: The front tires are 18x9.50-8's for flotation. Narrow tires are easy to steer with no load on concrete. It's a whole different scenario with several hundred pounds in the bucket if the ground is even a little bit soft. A 500 lb payload will put a 1600 lb load on your front tires.

I ran that tractor/FEL for 22 years without power steering and carried many loads well in excess of 500 lb. The 54" bucket weighs 210 lb.

Edited by TUDOR, March 15, 2015 - 03:04 AM.

• limebuzz and MH81 have said thanks