• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 997 Thanks
  • 829 posts

Posted November 08, 2014 - 02:17 PM

Hi all, the city has been redoing the sewer and water mains so the street by my shop is gravel and not smooth and it looks like yesterday was the last day of paving and they weren  not even close to the street by the shop. I get to look forward to this mess all winter and next spring, anyway I put the 3 pt blade on the PK and went out to try and level things out some but had very little success when I let the blade down to the float position it did good for about 10 ft then the rear wheels would start spinning and dig down I have the rears filled with ballast but no wts has ag tires what do I need to do more wt, reinstall the duals sell the 3 pt blade(just kidding on the blade)?

#2 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted November 08, 2014 - 02:59 PM

Gravel is very heavy with a blade full and gives you poor traction when thick and not rolled in.You might try to carry less of a blade full.I think duals would help you in this situation.

• tractorgarden, superaben and HANKG have said thanks

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,722 Thanks
  • 8,903 posts

Posted November 08, 2014 - 03:08 PM

Adjust your three point so the top of the blade is pulled forward as much as possible, that way it carries less.

In my 20 years of being around grader operators and doing quite a bit of it myself, it helps to be hungover and chain smoke while doing it.
  • JDBrian, Titus, LilysDad and 4 others have said thanks

#4 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,720 Thanks
  • 4,280 posts

Posted November 08, 2014 - 03:40 PM

Adjust your three point so the top of the blade is pulled forward as much as possible, that way it carries less.

In my 20 years of being around grader operators and doing quite a bit of it myself, it helps to be hungover and chain smoke while doing it.

Nothing like the voice of experience!!

• KennyP said thank you

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 08, 2014 - 04:00 PM

I was going to suggest what Cat said. Filterless smokes and a bit of Jack Daniels will make the job go faster! Seriously though, shorten the top link to make the blade less aggressive. If you have a lot of material to drag and want to do it a bit at a time turn the blade backwards and it will be way less aggressive. A PK is a strong GT but you are still dealing with a small light tractor for earth moving. You need to take small bites. 

• KennyP said thank you

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted November 08, 2014 - 05:04 PM

I would not use Float on the blade. Put on sidewalk or flat surface near by and set height with hydraulics  and then pull away and down to area. OR, just set blade on surface, not in float and then try little big downpressure as you move ahead. With blade in float, it will just fill up more as you pull, go deeper and stop you as noted. Problem with blade not floating is when front of tractor goes UP, blade goes Down, and opposite for when tractor goes Down in front. Have done the hand on hydraulics and go up/down-up/down as I'm driving and looking back to try to level on first few tries. Kinda of hard to watch behind and drive and see ahead and etc all at same time. I have gravel drive AND is big hill and never had much luck going UP while grading at all. Blade digs in, wheels spin and make even MORE holes to level then. Always had to go downhill and never really did work that well. I bought a big grader box once to do job, but tractor could hardly lift that and filled up right now with gravel and stopped me. A smaller grader box may work. I believe those new kind of drags made with channel and or angle irons in V-shape in front, and opposite V shape in back are the better choice for gravel drives. Boughten ones expensive, but have seen many homemade ones that looked pretty good. V in front cuts into gravel and is smaller in width than rear V. V in back catches all the extra run-off from front V, and then collects and fills the holds as it drags. It is low height, and extra gravel goes over the top of the V and is not held in bulk in the attachment. Clear as Mudd? 

• MH81, Alc, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#7 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 997 Thanks
  • 829 posts

Posted November 08, 2014 - 06:06 PM

Thanks all for the replies, 1st I did shorten the top link as much as possible to take less bite and that helped some, 2nd I'll try not using the float setting, when I think about it the blade is a heavy one so yes it just keeps digging in one of the things I don't like about the tractors 3 pt is that its soo fast its hard to feather the settings.

As for the whiskey and a smoke I'm afraid that just a capful and a half a smoke and I'd problaby say the heck with grading and go for more of both :dancingbanana:

May have to install a couple of hyd remotes and use the GB Power Grader I built a couple of yrs ago or convert it to electric lift like the DR is or try it with the duals but looking at the weather forcast by the end of next week it will be to late

HPIM0706.JPG HPIM0708.JPG

#8 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,722 Thanks
  • 8,903 posts

Posted November 08, 2014 - 06:11 PM

Are you gonna get the snow on Monday, or will it be bare when it drops into sub zero temps next weekend?

#9 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,722 Thanks
  • 8,903 posts

Posted November 08, 2014 - 06:13 PM

Did they recycle the asphalt before they did the utility work? Is it stockpiled or is it on the streets now?

Tell the city to get those roads graded toot-sweet, they're just gonna break poo plowing if the roads are rough, just like everyone else.

#10 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 997 Thanks
  • 829 posts

Posted November 08, 2014 - 06:35 PM

Hi Cat385B, not sure about the snow for monday CCO was saying it would be just south on me but just finished watching channel 11 and they moved the whole business north to haldf way to Fargo or more, I'm going back to CCO :D . The baclktop was milled off and stockplied in Alexandria yes they had best git it in hi gear Monday I asked the engineer on Frif=day if they were going to clean things up and his reply was O yes but I think he's full of it that's why I was out with the PK trying to smooth things out if they don't get some more gravel up by the shop ramp I'm going to be PO all winter every time the snowplow blade hits the 2 - 4 in lip and trips and to make it more enjoyable the blasted city snowplow guys like to leave a nice deep windrow and two sides in front of the shop door.

Yea the manholes and my water curb stop is sticking 4 inches up above the gravel will make for fun snowplow for all.

#11 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted November 08, 2014 - 07:01 PM

Check with your friends or neighbors and see if they have one of these that you might borrow.

Attached Thumbnails

• Acco.jpg

• Alc, KennyP, superaben and 1 other said thanks

#12 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 997 Thanks
  • 829 posts

Posted November 08, 2014 - 07:12 PM

Yea that sucker would get the streets shaped up in no time, man that's a big one.

#13 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted November 08, 2014 - 09:50 PM

I can't believe you survived as well as you have chain smoking and being hungover for 20 years. 

Ben W.

• KennyP said thank you

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,276 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted November 09, 2014 - 01:23 AM

I can't believe you survived as well as you have chain smoking and being hungover for 20 years. 

Ben W.

He's only been hung over half that time, the rest he was drinking.
  • KennyP, JDBrian and superaben have said thanks