7 replies to this topic

#1 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted November 07, 2014 - 08:19 PM

I know this is a GT site but didnt want to join 1 more group to ask noob questions, never to return. I thought someone here could help.

I have been buying meat processing equipment to make deer sausage, burger, jerky, ect. I have a limited budget for this and have been buying the cheapest grinder, packers and such.

I decided to try a test run on some 19mm  snack sticks with cheap burger (course grind and alot of white chunks).

The problem I had was I couldnt get it through the 3/8 tube using the cheapo hand crank #333 grinder with the kidney plate, so I tried using the 3/16 plate and it plugged up. I went to the 5/16 plate without the packing tube and It plugged up too. I tried the next 2 sizes only to have them plug up also.

Before I tried to regrind the burger, I got out my new 5# packer. It couldnt shove the burger through either. I ended up making hand rolled, casingless cat turds so the meat didnt go to waste. 

Is this problem due to the cheap burger, cheap equipment or a little of both?

• oldedeeres said thank you

#2 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted November 08, 2014 - 12:18 AM

The meat is most likely not cold enough, the fat is sticky when it's at room temps.

We usually grind partially thawed meat, works better. The more times it's ground the mushier, stickier it get's to.

For sausage we only grind it once, course. Otherwise it's like eating once chewed sausage. (my 2 cents)

Re-read your post, sounds like a grinder problem also. But when I was a kid back in the 60's mother used to use just a hand grinder. Guess I'm no help.

Edited by zippy1, November 08, 2014 - 12:22 AM.

• oldedeeres and tater195 have said thanks

#3 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

• 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted November 08, 2014 - 12:31 AM

The cat turds didnt turn out too bad. I will throw them in the fridge and see what they taste like tomorrow. 

I modified a Uniflame 22" LP fired kettle grill with a 55 gallon drum. It will control the temp pretty good with a range of 150 to 400 deg. I have a smoke generator that uses wood pellets or sawdust.

As it turns out, some of my pellets for the pellet stove sat on the concrete floor all summer and drew moisture. 1/2 a bag turned to sawdust. I think the sawdust works better. 

I will post some pics later, but the plan was to be able to hang 24 -30" summer sausage casings and be able to control the temp better than the wood fired smoker. I have had problems with the WFS temp spiking and cooking out the fat. This should fix that.

• oldedeeres and HANKG have said thanks

#4 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

• 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted November 08, 2014 - 12:43 AM

Thanks zippy. I mixed in the seasoning and stuck it back in the fridge for about 30 min. I may have rushed it. From what I have read, I should have left it over night. But I have also seen where they pack it and let it cure in the casings. 

I will have to play with the venison and re try this. Not dead set on making the Slim Jim type sticks, but would like to use the 3/8 tube and 19mm casings that I bought for something.

I have some bigger (40mm) casings. I hope I can stuff them with the packer. If not, I will be making a lot of summer sausage.

#5 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

• 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted November 11, 2014 - 01:15 PM

Pic of the sausage smoker. This should do the 24" sticks pretty good. I can add an extension to do the 30's. It  has 4 removable racks.

Depending on outside temps, It can run at 100 f and hold the temp good. It can also do a cold smoke with just the AMPS

20141111 113608

#6 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,872 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted November 12, 2014 - 01:14 AM

We used to make a lot of sausage, and quality in grinders is like quality in everything else--- get the best you can possibly afford. It will more than pay for itself in the end. Semi frozen meat grinds more easily as has been said. Venison especially should have as little connective tissue as possible, it will bind up on the worm and need to be cleaned out regularly. Nothing as good as home made smoked sausage.

• tater195 said thank you

#7 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

• 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 01:21 PM

ROUND 2: Hamburger summer sausage, pepperoni and pork brats.

The grinder worked alot better with partially frozen meat. I ground up a 5# pork butt for the brats. I had to clean the blade several times due to fat and connective tissue plugging the plate and wrapped around the blade. I think I can help fix this by shimming the worm to make the blade fit tighter to the plate. This must be 1 of the reasons the low end stuff is priced less than half of what the better stuff costs.

I still need to figure out the packer. I tried to stuff the 2 1/2" casings with a 7/8 tube. It started in the tube and then squirted back around the pusher plate. The meat was cold (34f), too cold maybe? I think part of the problem is the cheap cast iron packer. It is rough on the inside, making it harder to push through. It needs to be "ported and polished"

I packed one by hand and the other with the hand grinder. They should call this a 3 hand grinder. 1 to crank, 1 to push the meat in and 1 to hold the casing. I am gonna have to get some help to stuff the brats.

1 hour in the smoke for the ss and pepperoni, smoker is holding a solid 120, but the smoke generator is not wanting to stay lit.

#8 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

• 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 07:28 PM

The pepperoni and summer sausage didnt turn out too bad for the first attempt. Ended up smoking them for 10 hours. IT hit 150 just about the time the propane bottle ran out. It was getting late and I didnt feel like messing with the ice bath, so I set them outside(19f) until the IT got below 90. Casings didnt tighten up, so they peel easy.

Put 40 pounds of venison in the freezer this weekend, 25 pounds of that was ground for jerky, summer sausage and burger.