30 replies to this topic

#1 red79 OFFLINE  

red79
  • Member No: 60181
  • 57 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted November 06, 2014 - 01:48 PM

Hello Bolens folks,

Question for those of you who have been there, done that:  What is the best way to set up a tractor with headlights when no charging system is on board?  Or is it just a bad idea?

My situation is that I'm still new to tractors, I have a G-10 with no charging system and the dummy headlight covers, and I'm going to use this tractor to push snow.  Being that I work a 9-5 job, this means that most of my snow removal will be in the dark.  I'd like to get some headlights that fit into the existing hood cutouts.  I'm not sure whether the little 12v battery that the starter uses could run lights, but my gut tells me it could, especially since I start it a couple of times per week and get a month out of the battery before it even starts to show the need for a charge.  I assume the easiest way to rig up lights would be to use the battery as a power source.  Is this a workable idea?  The last thing I want to do is to destroy one battery after another by running them too low.

Has anybody here done this kind of headlight arrangement?  Do you think it would get me 3 hours of run time without hurting the battery?  3 minutes?  If I do this, I would commit to keeping the battery on a tender when not in use, by the way.

Let me know your guys' thoughts.  I'd hate to be pushing snow in the dark all winter!!

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted November 06, 2014 - 01:54 PM

i would be suspect of three hours being OK, but depending oin your current draw on the lights, you could get some time out of it.

I would suggest going with LED's as the power consumption would be much lower.

Also, you could always hook a couple of bulbs up to the battery and see what the voltage does every 15 minutes.  should be able to extrapolate pretty easy.

make sure the battery is cold, it will make a difference.

• Alc, WNYTractorTinkerer and superaben have said thanks

#3 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,311 Thanks
  • 4,661 posts

Posted November 06, 2014 - 02:12 PM

I agree with MH.   :nothingtoadd:

• chieffan said thank you

#4 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted November 06, 2014 - 02:15 PM

There is a couple ways to go. First way is fix the charging system add the factory style lights and switch and wiring. Will cost a liitle but is the right way. Next way is the cheap way add a toggle switch wire it from the battery to the lights and recharge as needed. I can help you do it both ways with new or used parts and light bulbs.

• Bolens 1000, superaben and chieffan have said thanks

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted November 06, 2014 - 03:50 PM

You don't say why it doesn't charge?  Wisonsin engine? Tec engine?  Would think with modern LED's that use low power you could get some that just use battery's each themselves. I have some instant on lights outside my house that take 3 D cells and they have lasted all summer, plus pretty bright. They even have little stands and movable joints to aim them. Were only $10 at a sale at ACE. Some sort of item like that could probly go into stock holes, not sure what B's have, and run on battery's or seperate one bigger battery that you can keep charged?  Mount it under hood in front, run a wire to connect charger and just plug it in each time you are done plowing. These should just be those light chargers that are mostly a coil with wires, much like a cellphone or such. OR, just fix the charge problem and must be some B tractor parts to ruound up and make it like standard??

• MH81, Alc and chieffan have said thanks

#6 red79 OFFLINE  

red79
  • 57 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted November 06, 2014 - 04:01 PM

Thanks for the responses guys.

There is a couple ways to go. First way is fix the charging system add the factory style lights and switch and wiring. Will cost a liitle but is the right way. Next way is the cheap way add a toggle switch wire it from the battery to the lights and recharge as needed. I can help you do it both ways with new or used parts and light bulbs.

This raises an interesting question.  Does my G10 even have a charging system?  I was under the impression that the battery had to be charged with an external source and that the charging system was only included on the model with a few more features, like lights... 

• chieffan said thank you

#7 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • Member No: 46660
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted November 06, 2014 - 04:55 PM

You could pick up a decent deep cycle battery and cheap trickle charger. Make a simple bracket and box to mount it on the back of the tractor (it'll add a little extra weight and be easily accessible). I would imagine that you could run quite a few LED lights off of it for extended periods. If that doesn't work... could you just add an older alternator?

#8 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted November 06, 2014 - 04:58 PM

I agree with bhts, do things right and go with a fixed charging system and original GE headlights.

Sounds like you have the Tecumseh engine right?

• superaben said thank you

#9 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,172 Thanks
  • 2,143 posts

Posted November 06, 2014 - 05:05 PM

Does my G10 even have a charging system?  I was under the impression that the battery had to be charged with an external source and that the charging system was only included on the model with a few more features, like lights... 

All Bolens tractors which left the factory with electric start were equipped with a charging system.

If your starter is connected to the engine with a belt, it was a starter/generator combination.  ......If your starter spins the flywheel via a gear, the engine would be equipped with charging coils under the flywheel.  

Post some pics, if you can, and you will get more help in troubleshooting your charging system. 

• Bolens 1000, boyscout862 and superaben have said thanks

#10 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted November 06, 2014 - 05:18 PM

All Bolens tractors which left the factory with electric start were equipped with a charging system.

If your starter is connected to the engine with a belt, it was a starter/generator combination.  ......If your starter spins the flywheel via a gear, the engine would be equipped with charging coils under the flywheel.  

Post some pics, if you can, and you will get more help in troubleshooting your charging system. 

:ditto:

What motor do you have in it. Briggs or Tecumseh? Serial number will also help.

#11 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted November 06, 2014 - 06:00 PM

First lets identify the motor?  Wisconsin, Tech.  Briggs, ?  Has the motor been replaced with another brand and that is why the charging system is not hooked up?  Or is it hooked up and not working?  By the time you buy a pair of LED headlights, switch, wire, etc. you may be able to have the charging system working.  Than you can go with a pair of OEM lights from a donator tractor.  Regardless of which way you go you should be able to get 3 hours of snow pushing from a fully charged battery without draining it.  Just be sure to put the 1 amp charger on it when you finished.  Good luck with your project.

#12 red79 OFFLINE  

red79
  • 57 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted November 06, 2014 - 08:44 PM

Thanks for all of the responses.  I'm glad to know that the system is capable of charging itself.  Here are a couple of pictures of the engine and starter.

Is there anything you can tell me based on the engine I have?  Is it likely that I'll have to replace coils to get the charging system back up and running, or do I just need to hook it back up?  I really appreciate the feedback from everybody, and if I take on some electrical projects, prepare for some stupid beginner questions!

Attached Thumbnails

• Bolens engine.jpg
  • Side of engine.jpg

• MH81 and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#13 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted November 06, 2014 - 09:21 PM

Thanks for all of the responses.  I'm glad to know that the system is capable of charging itself.  Here are a couple of pictures of the engine and starter.

Is there anything you can tell me based on the engine I have?  Is it likely that I'll have to replace coils to get the charging system back up and running, or do I just need to hook it back up?  I really appreciate the feedback from everybody, and if I take on some electrical projects, prepare for some stupid beginner questions!

That's a B&S motor. The model number is stamped in to the right of that label. Post that and that will get some answers.

#14 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted November 06, 2014 - 09:27 PM

I see the spark plug wire running under the shield towards the flywheel. Most likely a magneto sparking system. So no coil, points, condenser setup.

#15 red79 OFFLINE  

red79
  • 57 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted November 06, 2014 - 09:28 PM

The numbers on that stamping: 251417 0159-01 77020712

Edited by red79, November 06, 2014 - 09:28 PM.