6 replies to this topic

#1 68guns OFFLINE  

68guns

• Member No: 7878
  • 122 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted November 06, 2014 - 01:40 PM

IMG_20141107_131605.jpg IMG_20141107_131623.jpg
Right in the middle of the leaf harvest and my cobbled leaf vac decides to deep six on me. 5 HP Briggs...topped with oil in the morning for some reason it runs low in the afternoon. I noticed it when I went to start it..it was locked up. Yikes! Fearing the worse...I topped it with oil...pulled the plug and dropped a bit of oil in the head. Manually started pulling the impeller blades through and slowly she loosens up. Gave it a start and everything looks good. Great Save! I think when about 45min later something let's go inside the engine. Clank clank clank ..smoke..I quickly shut her down. Currently weighing my options. Horror Fright has a 6hp :engine on sale for $99 this month ...same size crank(3/4") and keyway (3/16)so t hat is what I am leaning towards. Also surveying Craigslist.
  • Alc and Sawdust have said thanks

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted November 06, 2014 - 04:46 PM

Sorry that it died on you . Guess it takes a beating when it runs wot all the time it's being used .

#3 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted November 06, 2014 - 04:46 PM

While some people hate them, I have had a good experience with the $99 HF engine.

The only complaint I had was that the muffler discharge was not in a good location for the equipment I used it on.   ......The exhaust port is not threaded, so I will have to make a new exhaust manifold when I get around to it. 

• Alc and superaben have said thanks

#4 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted November 06, 2014 - 11:00 PM

we use the harbor freight engines on equipment around here and they have been reliable so far the only issue is we had a float stick but thats been it so far

• Alc said thank you

#5 diesel nut OFFLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 500 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted November 06, 2014 - 11:16 PM

Not sure what your impeller housing looks like but I repowered a PECO trailer vac for a customer at work with one of the older Harbor Freight greyhound engines and the housing wouldn't bolt on because of the muffler location.  I had to take the muffler off and cut the flange off and put in a piece of conduit to get the muffler up and to the side.  I think I also had to grind the very edge of the flange and put a small notch into the aluminium housing to make it work.  And the muffler broke off at least once a year until i put braces in 3 different directions.  Hasn't broken since.  Might be easier to find another Briggs on Craigslist to get through the rest of the year.  Hope this helps.    Stewart 

• Alc said thank you

#6 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted November 07, 2014 - 12:03 PM

Sorry to hear of your bad luck. I'd keep checking C/L if possible a same engine match would be easy. I went to use the 1669 and cyclone rake last week and starter died... I know the feeling. Hope you get it back up and running very soon.

#7 68guns OFFLINE  

68guns

• Member No: 7878
  • 122 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted November 07, 2014 - 01:41 PM

Stewart...I'm running into the exact same problem. It mounted on the frame perfectly. When I went to put he housing back on the problem came to light. Time to break out the welder.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: g10, leaf vac