• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted November 06, 2014 - 08:59 PM

There was a make-do engineer in that poor thing's past!  Its amazing how much work people will create to avoid doing something right.

Ben W.

That's one thing I have never been able to figure out in my years of seeing all these "Custom" Jobs  :firejumper:

• boyscout862, hatedge, superaben and 1 other said thanks

#17 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted November 06, 2014 - 09:05 PM

That's one thing I have never been able to figure out in my years of seeing all these "Custom" Jobs  :firejumper:

Me neither.

I wonder how much it cost for that alternator and mounting apparatus and rigging when the issue was probably something as simple as a bad regulator?

Ben W.

• Bolens 1000, hatedge and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#18 MyBolens1053 ONLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted November 06, 2014 - 09:12 PM

Kind of reminds me of an old product sold for the lazy ... The Clapper.  Lights on, lights off. Lose your ignition key? Bypass the switch with a Clapper. :shoot2:    :poke:    :rolling:

• hatedge said thank you

#19 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• Member No: 9737
  • 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted November 06, 2014 - 11:01 PM

Well I did have an alternator on my old 1886-01. It was installed by the previous owner but it had a purpose. It powered 4 fogs on the cab as well as a few position lights, the wipers and the compressor to activate the snowthrower chute and dome light. Engine couldnt have had enough power for all o that at once... I think. But to give credit to the 1886, the job was done right and the alternator was under the cab with a well made braket that made it look original.

Nothing like this here victim of some "lets just strap it on there and cut the cab to make it fit...oh wait I didnt need to cut the cab?"  

Ben, I like that line ye got : Its amazing how much work people will create to avoid doing something right.

• boyscout862 and superaben have said thanks

#20 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted November 07, 2014 - 04:33 PM

Well, the loader is off and the tractors hydraulics were all hooked up to the loaders pump. I calle another bolens amateur and offered him the remains of the tractor in trade for a pair of used tires to fit my MF14 and some chanel to reinforce the frame on the MF before installing the loader on it.

#21 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted November 07, 2014 - 06:09 PM

well atleast theloader is saved i would agree the tractoris to far gone.. the 2 single coils someone put on there is crazy i dont think that would work

• hatedge said thank you

#22 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted November 08, 2014 - 05:07 PM

well atleast theloader is saved i would agree the tractoris to far gone.. the 2 single coils someone put on there is crazy i dont think that would work

I think I've seen this coil setup before. I think it might work. Off the top o my head I would guess it to send spark on both cyls everytime which shouldnt cause a problem I think. I may be wrong.

Edited by hatedge, November 08, 2014 - 05:19 PM.

#23 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted November 08, 2014 - 07:15 PM

Well, I took mesurements today and the MF14 frame is a full 7 inches narrower than the Bolens. Im wondering if the idea to install the loader on the MF is a good one. Im thinking the front wheels and axle might be a little too small for the load and that the frame being narrow might not be up to the task. Ill be asking on the MF related forum for tips.

#24 Duey C OFFLINE  

Duey C
  • Member No: 62442
  • 23 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted November 08, 2014 - 07:35 PM

I think you're quite right about the coils, just add jumper wires to the next coil and one or the other cylinder gets a "waste spark" just like normal. I wonder if the condenser was different because having to deal with the two coils.....

I liked the stamped coil mount and holder.

Some company did this on purpose to replace an original Kohler coil for 2/3 the money, I'd wager.

Interesting thread.

• hatedge said thank you